help with selling your regs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for anyone that would buy a reg and not have it serviced, think back to the last "cops" episode you watched and remember the guy who said he only had "one" beer!

"two dives and well kept!" NOW, THAT'S FUNNY!

as a service technician, everyone that brings their regs in think they are in perfect condition.

most peole think a dust cap keeps water out of their reg, and then dunk it!

50% of retail.....that's about what it ends up being.
Look at how many ads you see that end up being a string of......"bump"......"bump"....."bump" posts.

Sellers often think their gear is worth more than it is......diving is no different that any other outdoor sport. Thousands of regs are manufactured....there is nothing special about anyone's used gear.

The "life support" angle is always funny.....check the I.P. and cracking pressure and go dive it. Of course, I'll take it apart and check it out, but I won't necessarily take it in for servicing.
However.....the fact is....the servicing cost, definitely affects the used value of regs.

I've bought Scubapro and Apex double reg sets, complete with hoses and an SPG, for $500. I've seen plenty of them sell for that price.
That is what they sell for.....it's just the way it is.
I'm certainly going to pay less for used gear from the budget companies.

The take away....is.......don't pay retail. then you won't eat it so bad when you sell.

ip and cracking pressure is only the beginning. orings dry out, hoses leak, schrader valves are corroded, hole in 2nd stage diaphragm, etc. a tech will look for these things. an novice will not...

its about risk vs reward...

orings dry out . . . hole in 2nd stage diaphragm, etc.

Greetings, time traveler from the 1970s. Let me be the first to welcome you to the year 2013. Among other advances in diving gear that will no doubt shock and surprise you, please note that orings and 2nd stage diaphragms are not made of natural rubber any more. The former tend to be viton or more advanced formulations of buna-n, while the latter are almost exclusively silicone. These things may frighten and confuse you now, but I'm sure you'll adapt to these modern innovations in no time at all...perhaps even attend law school and begin ending monologues with the phrase "but I do know ONE thing!"

But seriously, "hoses leak"? Well, yeah. It's not exactly something you need a tech to check, however. Pressurize the reg. Does it hiss audibly or emit bubbles from the hose and/or hose connections? If so, your hose is leaking; if not, it isn't. "Schrader valves corrode"? If there's one thing on a reg that's unlikely to fail because it's just too damn simple to break, it's the frigging schrader valve in the LPI hose. And like a leaky hose, if it did happen it would be damn hard to miss.

The gist of your post, that some people think their regs are worth more than they really are, is undeniably true. Right now some mouthbreather on fleabay has a ST1 second stage -- no hose, no swivel, and no 1st stage -- up for $700 and when I asked him where the rest of it was he said that was all he found in the storage unit and that it was a steal for a reg that usually cost more than $900. Somewhere between 40% and 70% of new cost is probably a good range, depending on how desirable the reg is, its condition, and what the buying herd had for breakfast the day you list it. But all this crap about 50% dealer price points, keyman discounts on top of that, and the value of warranties and "free parts" programs is smoke, mirrors, and bull:censored:.

Mainly, though, nobody needs to hear from you that they've overpriced their regs -- the market will take care of it.

ip and cracking pressure is only the beginning. orings dry out, hoses leak, schrader valves are corroded, hole in 2nd stage diaphragm, etc. a tech will look for these things. an novice will not...

its about risk vs reward...

Ok.
Which is why I said:
"Of course, I'll take it apart and check it out, but I won't necessarily take it in for servicing."

If you are the service technician for the LDS's "Life Support Equipment Department".:rofl3:
Then I would expect to hear something along the lines of what you said.

It's bad for the dive industry if the bodies start washing up on shore, tangled in the hoses of their recently purchased used reg sets.
:cool2:

Cheers,
Mitch

---------- Post added November 20th, 2013 at 01:21 AM ----------

Greetings, time traveler from the 1970s. Let me be the first to welcome you to the year 2013.

:rofl3: Gold!!

Last edited:
Step 1. Buy a HOG reg during black friday sales (next week).

Step 2. sell end of summer/season for more than you paid or close to what you paid.

Step 3. See step 1.

Now you have an amazing reg lifetime free service :)

Can't wait for Black Friday!
Then Go to Hot Deals here on Scubaboard & get a Scubapro reg( new or like-new ) Now!

If it didnt come from an authorized dealer NIB with a warranty its not new. I don't see lots of dealers selling brand new regs in the classies. They show up now and again in the hot deals section, but by and large what you see for sale is used. So if you really meant new you were off topic, smart guy.

If it didnt come from an authorized dealer NIB with a warranty its not new. I don't see lots of dealers selling brand new regs in the classies. They show up now and again in the hot deals section, but by and large what you see for sale is used. So if you really meant new you were off topic, smart guy.
We have sold many "Brand New" regs w/ full warranty here on Hot Deals!

We have also sold many more " Used" regs, B.C.'s & computers here on SB. These used regs did not have the warranty from the manufacture.

As far as needing service, it depends on the condition of the gear.

Back
Top Bottom