Modifying Shoulder Dump on ScubaPro Glide Plus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darrel Conger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I use a Zeagle Ranger and a Zeagle Brigade almost all of the time. I got a ScubaPro Glide Plus in trade a few months back that I wanted to use for the pool and to loan to friends. The jacket looked fine but when inflated it deflated pretty quickly. I paid to have it serviced but when I got it back it still doesn't hold air anything like the Zeagles. The air escapes from around the base of the shoulder dump slowly. I tried a couple of things like a little Teflon tape on the threads that helps but not completely.

One reason I would never purchase anything Scubapro is the lack of parts. An occasional shoulder dump comes up on ebay but the design seems poor to begin with. Has anyone replaced their Scubapro shoulder dump with a Zeagle, Dive-Rite or similar unit?

Since you paid to have it serviced I would go back and tell them it still leaks. Rubber gasket washer may need replacing or the respective mating surface has a scratch/nick that allows air to pass by. Could also be a pin hole in hose or zip tie not sealing tight. I would put it in the pool or bathtub to see where the leak is coming from so when it goes back you don't get a song & dance about a different problem and new charge.

Yes, go back to the shop: they should do a leak test at the very least.

That being said, we have a bunch of SP BC's and they work fine. Once in a while, there would be a little leak, and that's always some small debris that got on the rubber seal; unscrew the dump, give the seal and its mating surfaces a good wash and it's all good.

I tested the BC when I got it back. I had already installed a Zeagle inflator and connector on it. The nice thing about the Zeagle connector is you can connect it to a water hose. The leak was around the main threads of the shoulder dump. Frankly it was not worth dealing with the shop again. Found a nylon nut with the thread to synch down the connector to the BC on one side and with the threads for a Zeagle shoulder dump on the other. It hold air now and does not leak. Now that I know the thread sizes, I am going to replace the lower rear dumps and maybe the other shoulder dump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom