Using a countdown timer for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a G Shock with a 24hr countdown timer. I was considering using this feature for timing my dives but the thought occured to me that if I were to exceed my ND limit on a dive, I would have no way of knowing by how much as the timer will be at zero - hence I will not know how long my safety stop would be.

Can anyone advise please?!

Normally the countdown continues in a loop- with a bit of math you can see the difference. Many dive computers also feature a time alarm.

Personally I use a computer and look at it more frequently when at depths/repeat dives where NDL is a factor. Admittedly this is a 'low tech' solution but it has kept me alive thus far...

Hello all

I have a G Shock with a 24hr countdown timer. I was considering using this feature for timing my dives but the thought occured to me that if I were to exceed my ND limit on a dive, I would have no way of knowing by how much as the timer will be at zero - hence I will not know how long my safety stop would be.

Can anyone advise please?!

Doesn't it have a counter that counts up instead of down? I had one of those about 15 years ago and it did.

By the way, I don't believe you are supposed to push those buttons while it is in the water.

Just use the stopwatch in the normal mode, counting up

Back
Top Bottom