Beware Cochran Computers.... be very careful with Cochran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparky5149

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had two Cochran computers over the last 10 years I was diving. I sold off one (for $1000 of the $2400 it cost me) & I got another.. so to say I am an "experienced, multi-decade Cochran owner" is ample.

Aside from being ridiculously over-priced, even though the existing 2013 technology has exceeded them, the company is not as prosperous & "Full of integrity" as all its customers believed after we paid $2200 for a dive computer. You pay $2000 the most a human being has paid for a dive computer on the planet Earth, you expect top-notch everything.

When you buy a Mercedes, one reason your buying it the quality & thought of repairs. If you buy a $70,000 car, you dont expect a tune up to be $45,000. But that's what you'll get with Cochran.
Send your Cochran unit in for upkeep/repairs & ask them to project the costs....

Would it surprise you that its likely nearly $800 to fix a Cochran? Yes roughly 40-50% of what you paid for it new is what it will cost you to fix one.
That's what I was just told.

A broken "sensor" and a wrist strap and shipping..... Oh, but the great thing these generous, integrity-filled, folks are gonna do for me is "waive the cost of the wrist strap". Wooo-hee! Thats top-class service isn't it? Isn't that swell? Like they are doing me a favor & I should be pleased.

These are either (1) Not the same people working there in 2001 or (2) It is the same people who have become desperate & greedy after the economy dropped.
Feel free to argue the point, the company, who I just FWD this thread to, may arrive to do product-image-damage control. Irregardless, This isn't a debate, its a message for the new shoppers out there, like I was once. This economy is tearing down everything we trusted in our loyal brand-names..

Suunto would not do this to you, trust me.
I'm out.

Last edited:
Many years ago (when I had a Cochran) they told me the fix for my failing computer was to buy a new one.
I threw it and the company as a whole in the trash and never looked back.

K

Magic 8 ball says otherwise. Try Shearwater for great customer support and a better computer than either Cochran or Suunto. For less than the cost of your one Cochran, I got two Petrels.

Why would anyone spend over $2k for a recreational dive computer?

This kind of stuff is why I'll never buy anything but Shearwater computers from now on. Plus they are just great people. Was fortunate enough to meet some of the staff at DEMA. Following DEMA I had a little issue with unlocking v planner. It kept giving me an invalid code when I plugged in what they sent me.

Well guess who screwed up and gave them the serial number on my unit and switched two of the characters? Not only were they patient and understanding with me but three people on staff worked on the issue trying to get me the right code. And when I called the engineer got on the phone, went over the serial number, I saw my mistake, gave him the corrected one, and less than 5 minutes later had a new unlock code that worked entered into my unit.

Thanks to Lynn, Christina, and Tyler for putting up with me and being most gracious and helpful. If I ever hit the lottery big time I'm taking the whole Shearwater staff to Truk. Or wherever they want to go. Truly great people and an amazing company.

Love my Shearwaters. That's all I have to say about that.

I am another cheerleader for Shearwater. Awesome products and even better PR and customer support. How can I not like people that tolerate me so well?

I'm out.

I bought a Suunto for about $950 years ago. Sensor died, later became a “known issue” at my old dive shop. I sent it in via my authorized dealer dive center I worked for. I had other computers, so kind of forgot about it. A couple of months later, I remembered and contacted them. Was told they were still working on it. A few weeks later, called again and was told I had never sent it in. This was despite having email and shipping records to the contrary. Only after I told them I would have to report them to the police so I could file my insurance claim on stolen equipment did they offer to give me a discount on a new computer. Mind you, I was a staff instructor and had sold hundreds of Suunto’s to my students/staff.

I don’t have experience with Shearwater like others on here, but Suunto would do this to you, trust me. And a couple/few of their computers retail for over $2k too.

I just went back to digital bottom timers. Simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom