Lost a finger with a bang stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am wondering why they were diving with a "bang stick"...

Be mindful that people 'back in the day' didn't have access to the knowledge about sharks & such that we do now. I remember when researchers wishing to find great whites had to look hard and with considerable uncertainty about success; not just head to Guadalupe or Seal Island. These days it's not that hard to learn most divers seldom, and in some cases never, run across sharks, even more rarely large potentially dangerous sharks, that sharks are not near mindless eating machines eager to attack and devour anything living smaller than themselves, and that even if you do encounter a tiger, great white or large bull shark, most likely you won't be attacked.

Back then, not so much.

Today if someone were going hiking up north in 'Grizzly country,' it wouldn't seem odd to carry a large caliber pistol. Not everyone does, but it seems a reasonable precaution to some.

Richard.

I would not be so sure of that because a bang stick is a Firearm and it falls under the Firearm laws of your country and locale.

It may fall under some "exception" if it were welded to a 26" (or longer) pole and used exclusively for fishing (if sold unwelded, or the user later unwelds it, and refits it, then the "exception" may no longer hold water).

We also have an FFL and sell guns out of our store. Trust me, there's no paperwork or background check to sell a bangstick.

We also have an FFL and sell guns out of our store. Trust me, there's no paperwork or background check to sell a bangstick.

If it IS permanently attached to a 26" pole, maybe.

If it IS NOT permanently attached to a 26" pole, I do believe you when you say you sell it without paperwork to anyone, but it appears in every respect to be "any other weapon" - that is a weapon or Firearm regulated under Federal Law.

I say no more as it is really not my problem, but being a firearm user and reloader I feel for the poor guy who lost his finger and his friends who got a big scare and got hurt because of these dive shop "bangsticks."

If it IS permanently attached to a 26" pole, maybe.

If it IS NOT permanently attached to a 26" pole, I do believe you when you say you sell it without paperwork to anyone, but it appears in every respect to be "any other weapon" - that is a weapon or Firearm regulated under Federal Law.

I say no more as it is really not my problem, but being a firearm user and reloader I feel for the poor guy who lost his finger and his friends who got a big scare and got hurt because of these dive shop "bangsticks."

It wasn't the diveshop's bangstick that got him shot. It was his dumb self for not knowing how to handle an explosive device. I guess we should also blame all the people who sell fireworks because of the fingers lost when someone doesn't respect that explosion either.

It wasn't the diveshop's bangstick that got him shot. It was his dumb self for not knowing how to handle an explosive device. I guess we should also blame all the people who sell fireworks because of the fingers lost when someone doesn't respect that explosion either.

It was the lack of awareness and training and for such persons to be given easy access to any such devices for the sake of $99.99.

It was the lack of awareness and training and for such persons to be given easy access to any such devices for the sake of $99.99.

We actually sell them for $160'ish.
Guess what...If you go buy a handgun or a firecracker, you are NOT required to have ANY training to buy those either. It's not my job to make sure someone is a non-idiot. It's your job to make sure you don't purchase things you are too stupid to operate without killing yourself or someone else. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but directed at everyone. If you aren't bright enough or disciplined enough to get training on dangerous things, then don't buy dangerous things. This isn't limited to Bang Sticks or Handguns or Firecrackers. It's not limited to scuba or rebreathers or cars or motorcycles. Only you can use your brain... so here's an idea.... USE IT!

I am wondering why they were diving with a "bang stick"...

Why not. He may have felt that they need some protection. That is his call just like people carrying a gun each day. They have it in the event they need to defend their selfs.....

This thread is not about if it is right to have, sell or use a bang stick. It is about a stupid accident because a person did ot use his brain. The OP started the thread to let people know that a hard lesson was learned and not to blame bang sticks.

How about we get back on topic....... Just my 2 cents...

I'm pretty sure I'm on topic with, "only you can use your brain... so use it". Since it was a stupid move that resulted in lost finger. There's no one to blame here except the complacency of the victim.

If you want to be safe, don't play with things you don't completely understand 100%. Especially if said "thing" has the ability to take life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom