Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gorgeous day today. 30+ ft of clear blue vis and bright sunlight at Breakwater. Got my wish of swimming through a field of hundreds of sea nettles too! Video incoming.

Was very depressed to find two baby mola molas with their fins torn off and their eyes missing. I know sea lions tear off the fins, but what goes for the eyes? Spent a few minutes trying to figure out if one were dead, since surely death by dive knife is more merciful than being eaten alive by starfish, but decided he was dead after all.

Have harbor seals been documented doing stuff like this? I'm starting to think seals = cute and cuddly, sea lions = playful assholes.

Did two dives at Lobos today. It was sunny, dead/glassy calm and the vis was wonderful. If you possibly can, GO DIVING IMMEDIATELY.

First dive I wandered through the channels straight to Lone Metridium then, now that I knew where I was, headed to Hole in the Wall. Vis was 60feet or more. You could see the surface clearly at ALL times. We had two Leopard shark encounters and I'm uploading video to YouTube now.

Second dive was to Middle Reef. We kicked out on the surface till I could see the reef from the surface & dropped. My buddy spotted another leopard shark and I gave chase, dolphin kicking madly with camera running. The vis was a little lower, maybe 40feet-ish due to some grit in the water.

Both dives had lots of fish, big lings, skulpen, assorted rockfish etc.

My computer logged the water temp at 49F but reads 3 to 4F low.

[video=youtube_share;9IDb86o83Dw]http://youtu.be/9IDb86o83Dw[/video]

Yep, everyone should call in to work sick and head for the ocean!

I've seen seals do the same thing. It's the same behavior as when they nibble your fins. It's important keep in mind that pinnipeds are carnivorous predators, and that many carnivorous mammals exhibit behavior that many would deem cruel.

Even the cute ones.

One possible thing to consider is this. When they do it to our dive fins, many would think it a charming interaction, yet think the same behavior is cruel when done to a fish.

The sea is a cruel mistress, and it pays to remember that, because, as in all things, you can't call it love unless you strive to understand the true nature of what you love.

Gorgeous day today. 30+ ft of clear blue vis and bright sunlight at Breakwater. Got my wish of swimming through a field of hundreds of sea nettles too! Video incoming.

Was very depressed to find two baby mola molas with their fins torn off and their eyes missing. I know sea lions tear off the fins, but what goes for the eyes? Spent a few minutes trying to figure out if one were dead, since surely death by dive knife is more merciful than being eaten alive by starfish, but decided he was dead after all.

Have harbor seals been documented doing stuff like this? I'm starting to think seals = cute and cuddly, sea lions = playful assholes.

Last edited:
WOW! What a day at Monastery yesterday! Dove South end late morning, astonishingly wonderful calm conditions. I'm talking zero surge, 50+ feet of viz mostly, though it may have dropped to about 30 out towards Mono Lobo wall a bit. Not sure why it got so milky out there, but still, an incredibly delightful dive. Felt like we were in an aquarium with the sun shining through. Mostly the same typical critters though the cabezon population is through the roof in that area for whatever reason. Tons of nudis. Few playful sea lions. 52 oceanic degrees at 60'. Not too bad. Lots of divers on both north and south ends of Monastery, so I suspect we saw a few of you SB folks out there as well.

Go diving!!!!!

Here's what it looked like at the surface:

[video=youtube;L5jYMdzdPsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jYMdzdPsM[/video]

Mubin and I did Butterfly House first today. 40-50 foot vis. 54 degree temp. Very calm.
Second dive Wedding Rock. 30-40 foot vis. Further out it got milky a bit. Saw a bunch of white patches in sandy area at about 40 feet deep or so. Turns out to be tons of squid eggs. Temp 55 degrees. Very calm.
Third dive North Monastery. Milky at canyon. A group of 6 or 7 seals were putting on a show out there. Vis increased closer to shore. 55 temp. 30-40ft vis
Link to squid egg video.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73739720@N00/11061882186/in/photostream
First photo Butterfly House. Second photo Monastery. Click on photo to see larger picture.

Attachments

• Butterfly.jpg
    Butterfly.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Monastery.jpg
    Monastery.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Here's what it looked like at the surface:
Ericson and I drove the boat about 4ft off the beach at Monastery on a day there was about half as much swell action as you show in your video. Those are the days us divers long for. Hopefully the conditions remain semi calm through Wednesday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom