Looking for opinions on drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so here is USIA's Techni-flex that I test-dove:

1. Material wise, it is made of similar kind of stretch-fabric used in Santi.

2. USIA has better valves than Santi IMHO. USIA comes with Sitech valves and Santi comes with Apeks valves. I was test diving my share of suits with a very thick 7 mm glove because we were assuming ice conditions. The USIA valve was easier to rotate with those gloves than Apeks. It also vented faster so in the valves department USIA would be my suit of choice. Santi were made in Europe so it made no economic sense to import American valves.

3. Santi has a plastic-like zipper and USIA has a steel zipper. I do not know which suit wins this one. Santi has succeeded in creating a zipper that needs less waxing and less post dive care but my concern would be what if someone drops a tank on it while you are on an Alaskan liveaboard miles away from civilization? By the end of the day it is plastic vs steel, so who would win this round? Your call.

4. There was one area where USIA would beat Santi for me and that is fitting. On my body, a stock sized USIA fits better than a stock Santi and this ends the game.

5. I am still not satisfied with USIA fitting and would prefer a custom made suit. My waist is 35 and my chest is 47 so there really is no "Stock-size" out there from any brand that is cut to accommodate a 12 inch difference in waist and chest. Stock sizes are either too tight on me in the chest area or too loose and baggy on the waist. Thus I would be looking for a manufacturer who would talk to me over the phone (human voice) understand my physical dimensions and realize that a "Stock size" is not what I am looking for and then cut the suit to those measurements. USIA offers this kind of personalized attention. Santi sells stock sizes.

In the end I would rather dive with a well fitted suit that is brandless than a branded suit that does not fit.

End note: I now dive with a custom made 3mm Neoprene suit which is far stretchier than both Santi and USIA (cuz its neoprene). It is far warmer than Santi and USIA (cuz its neoprene). It is built closer to my body (cuz it is neoprene) and it weight the same as my 3mm wetsuit (cuz it is neoprene) :D

1) I suppose you can say my aunt and uncle are similar too, both being human
2)Glad the research was properly done because you have your choice of si-tech or apeks valves and pretty much flip a coin
3) Santi dry suit new plastic zipper test - YouTube last time I saw somebody do that to a brass zipper…..well lets just say it didn't' seal again unlike the tizip
4) fitting is subjective thats why they do full MTM to fit the odd ball Americans that eat to much or lift to many weights.
5) being from the US did you try calling OceanEdge Outfitters, LLC (908) 359-5468 and speaking to them directly? Or look at the size chart? SANTI Size Chart To just say Santi sells stock size, well thats not true DRYSUITS right side is all MTM pricing (not much more than stock) and it is personally tailored to YOUR measurements not just piece meal like ok lets use a large bottom and xl top piece like some manufactures do.

Three issues with neoprene suits; HEAVY weight, long drying time, and its got built in insulation (can't take it to warm water) that also compresses the deeper you go.

1) I suppose you can say my aunt and uncle are similar too, both being human
2)Glad the research was properly done because you have your choice of si-tech or apeks valves and pretty much flip a coin
3) Santi dry suit new plastic zipper test - YouTube last time I saw somebody do that to a brass zipper…..well lets just say it didn't' seal again unlike the tizip
4) fitting is subjective thats why they do full MTM to fit the odd ball Americans that eat to much or lift to many weights.
5) being from the US did you try calling OceanEdge Outfitters, LLC (908) 359-5468 and speaking to them directly? Or look at the size chart? SANTI Size Chart To just say Santi sells stock size, well thats not true DRYSUITS right side is all MTM pricing (not much more than stock) and it is personally tailored to YOUR measurements not just piece meal like ok lets use a large bottom and xl top piece like some manufactures do.

Three issues with neoprene suits; HEAVY weight, long drying time, and its got built in insulation (can't take it to warm water) that also compresses the deeper you go.

Of course! We have all seen the Santi rep stomping on the zipper and then holding it up to show that there is something SUPER SPECIAL about it. The zipper took that ruthless stomping and still worked! I just made this video of me stomping the zipper of my 25 dollar Walmart jacket. Here ... watch me stomp my wall mart zipper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzY1tSmmeg

Since this demo has caused Santi to sell a drysuit at 3000 USD, I am officially announcing on scubaboard that my jacket is also available for sale at 3000 USD. Since it is the holiday season I am feeling generous, I will let all your Santi fans buy this at a reduced cost of 1200 USD.

In my next video you will see me stomping the zipper of my K-mart jeans the same way and those jeans will be also be available on scubaboard for 1000 USD. Anyone interested in purchasing my "gently used" and proudly stomped clothing, please send me a pm. I have a lot of top-side gear which I would like to sell. :D

Last edited:
I have pretty much the same measurements as you (35 waist, 45 chest, 6' tall) same dilemma. You've tried a lot of suits, and you're saying for those built like us, there's really NO off the rack drysuit brand/size/style that's gonna work? So who makes the best value custom suits? My last drysuit was a Monterey Bay Wetsuits custom 1/4" neoprene made around 2000. I loved that thing and dove it for years, but it hasn't fit me now for quite a while. (It's still hanging in mint condition, waiting for my son to get a little taller.)

32 waist, 44 chest, 6' tall. Found an off the rack suit that fits me perfectly.

20130124_220003-1-1.jpg

As for the TiZips, I had a TiZip put onto one of my old suits. The suit became a backup so was only in the water maybe a dozen times. The rest of the time it was in my house, which is a climate controlled smoke free environment. Last time I pulled it out I saw the zipper had started to delaminate. I wasn't too impressed with that. I'll post pics later.

Attachments

• 20130124_220003-1.jpg
    20130124_220003-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 156
I have pretty much the same measurements as you (35 waist, 45 chest, 6' tall) same dilemma. You've tried a lot of suits, and you're saying for those built like us, there's really NO off the rack drysuit brand/size/style that's gonna work? So who makes the best value custom suits? My last drysuit was a Monterey Bay Wetsuits custom 1/4" neoprene made around 2000. I loved that thing and dove it for years, but it hasn't fit me now for quite a while. (It's still hanging in mint condition, waiting for my son to get a little taller.)

The suit that I dive presently is a custom made Dragonhide 3mm. This suit used to be called Delux 3mm NEO as it was made by a company called Delux. I believe Dragonhide is their American version of the same suit and comes with American valves.

Most of my diving will be in the northwest in 55 degree water and colder.

I think a lot of people are giving you advice based on preference and brand loyalty. Take your location into account, the land locked northwest, IE lakes and rivers. Also sales/service center location and how comfortable you are doing small repairs on your own suit. How frequently will you be diving? Will you get the cost benefit out of a higher end suit? Things to consider.

I dive a 2nd hand Whites, it was cheap, it fits me comfortably, and as long as I care for it outside of the water I have no doubts that it will last a long time. I dive in lakes so I don't have a lot of worry about current or surf rolling me into things that might damage my suit. I don't dive the rivers so I don't worry about current pushing me along sharp rocks. Would I love a Santi? Hell yes, but it just doesn't make sense, I'd rather keep my cheap Whites and spend the difference on something like a nice scooter.

Also, speaking of BMWs.....I'd take my Subaru any day over a BMW in the Pacific NW, it spends less days in the shop, does better in the snow/ice and gets me to the rural dive locations every time.

Of course! We have all seen the Santi rep stomping on the zipper and then holding it up to show that there is something SUPER SPECIAL about it. The zipper took that ruthless stomping and still worked! I just made this video of me stomping the zipper of my 25 dollar Walmart jacket. Here ... watch me stomp my wall mart zipper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzY1tSmmeg

Since this demo has caused Santi to sell a drysuit at 3000 USD, I am officially announcing on scubaboard that my jacket is also available for sale at 3000 USD. Since it is the holiday season I am feeling generous, I will let all your Santi fans buy this at a reduced cost of 1200 USD.

In my next video you will see me stomping the zipper of my K-mart jeans the same way and those jeans will be also be available on scubaboard for 1000 USD. Anyone interested in purchasing my "gently used" and proudly stomped clothing, please send me a pm. I have a lot of top-side gear which I would like to sell. :D

This video is to show us that your clothing is still waterproof? If it was waterproof why did you buy a drysuit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom