Rule of Thirds & Shallow Rec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, let's assume I'm going to do a dive from an anchored boat, on a site where there is poor visibility and no bottom contour to help me navigate. The plan is to swim a star-shaped pattern out from the anchor line. The anchor is in 50 feet of water (you are going to know that if the boat has any kind of depth finder at all, and it had better). Since the bottom has no significant relief, I know my depth is going to be approximately 50 feet throughout the bottom time of the dive. I don't care at all what my "finning rate" is, because as long as I'm not doing anything different from what I normally do, my gas consumption should be close to what it normally is.

At 50 feet, I'm at 2.5 ATA, and if I use the high end of my normal consumption rate to be conservative, I'll be using 1 cfm. My usual tank is an HP100 with a tank factor (cf/100psi) of 3; that means it will take me three minutes to use 100 psi. So, if I swim legs that are 3 minutes long, I'll never be more than 100 psi from the anchor line. "Rock bottom" for 60 feet is 20 cf, or 700 psi; if I turn back toward the anchor at 800 psi, I will certainly get there with my reserve intact. If I find a leg that is much more interesting, all I have to do is watch how much gas I am using going out, and make sure I turn back when the same amount of gas will get me back to the anchor at 700 psi.

I've actually never done a dive like that. I've done dives where the bottom contour allows you to navigate, and dives where the structure allows you to navigate (reef or wreck) and dives where you didn't navigate at all, because the boat was going to pick you up. But I've never done a star-shaped "search pattern" kind of dive.

This stuff just isn't rocket science. Figure the gas reserve for the depth or depth range you intend to dive (and I always have a hard deck depth set before I get in the water, don't you?) and what the constraints on the dive are (come up anywhere, like to get back to starting point, HAVE to get back to starting point) and plan your gas around that. It's not figured to the 12.5 psi, and it doesn't require that you know exactly what your profile is going to be. You just set some outside limits and see what kind of a "shape" that gives you.

So you work off a reduction in tank pressure at a given rate and estimate pressure drop over a time interval. Presumably that rate will vary with depth.

So you work off a reduction in tank pressure at a given rate and estimate pressure drop over a time interval. Presumably that rate will vary with depth.

I can estimate my remaining gas, no matter the depth, on any dive. I'm always within 100psi (and if i'm off, I'm under what I think I have remaining, ex: i guess i have 1400 psi, but actually i have 1500). I know my average SAC no matter the conditions, and I can tell when I've been working harder, just by my breathing. I have had no technical training and have around the same amount of dives as you.
Knowing your SAC and how that will effect your dive plan is not advanced diving. It's basic stuff. You either have enough gas to do the dive you are planning, or you don't.

[h=2]Example Gas Planning for the Basic OW 18m/60' Limit[/h]
Here's Emergency gas planning example & exercise for the OP, for a dive to the Basic Open Water Limit of 18m/60 feet:

Emergency "Stressed" 28 litres/min SCR (Surface Consumption Rate, equivalent to 1 cuft/min in US/Imperial), with 18 meters (2.8 ATA) depth NDL, and with one minute stops every 3 meters/10 feet to surface [note: a one minute stop in this example is considered a 30 second hold at the present depth plus a 30 second ascent to the next depth]:

2.8 x 28 x 1 = 78.4
2.5 x 28 x 1 = 70
2.2 x 28 x 1 = 61.6
1.9 x 28 x 1 = 53.2
1.6 x 28 x 1 = 44.8
1.3 x 28 x 1 = 36.4
1.0 x 28 x 1 = 28

Sum Total: 372.4 litres gas needed to ascend to surface for an emergency contingency.

Divide the above total by the metric tank rating of the Scuba cylinder in use; for this example let's use the AL80 tank again which has a metric rating of 11 litres/bar. So 372/11 = approx 35 bar.

That's 35 bar to get you to the surface --to get yourself and sharing gas with an Out-of-Air Buddy you will need at least twice this amount: 35 x 2 = 70 bar. Therefore your Rock Bottom Reserve is an actual reading of 70 bar showing on your SPG --if there is no emergency air sharing contingency at that instant, just continue the dive normally but start a easy nominal ascent to the shallower depths between 5m and 9m. Finally, be at your 5m safety stop with your buddy with no less than 50 bar showing on the SPG.

Your usable gas for the dive is your starting pressure subtracted by the Rock Bottom Reserve --so a full AL80 tank of 200 bar minus 70 bar equals 130 bar usable. Let's use 20 bar of this 130 to get squared away in good trim & buoyancy on the descent to 18m which then leaves 110 bar usable. Now if your dive plan calls for returning to near the vicinity of your original point of entry (like a beach dive for instance), then turn the dive back around when you use half of 110 bar or 55 bar consumed. If you want an even more conservative value because of thick kelp for example, use rule-of-thirds - 1/3 of 110 is 36 bar in this instance.

So for a nominal dive with an SCR of 22 litres/min on a 11L/bar (AL80) tank, your resulting pressure SCR will be 2 bar/min [22 divided-by 11 equals 2bar/min]. Your depth in meters, which converts easily to ATA (simply divide-by-10 and add 1) becomes your multiplier depth factor for your 2bar/min pressure SCR.

18 meters depth is 2.8 ATA (divide 18 by 10 and add 1 equals 2.8); your 2bar/min SCR at depth -or Depth Consumption Rate (DCR)- now becomes 5.6 bar/min. [2.8 times 2bar/min equals 5.6 bar/min]. So 10 minutes at depth 18m on an AL80 (11L/bar) tank in nominal conditions, you would expect to consume 56bar of gas (10min times 5.6 bar/min equals 56bar) and your SPG reading to show a delta down of 56bar. . .

Okay, you splash in to start the dive with 200bar and a 70bar rock bottom. You use up 20bar on descent --initial exertion, inflating your wing etc. -so you now have 180bar with 70bar rock bottom at present depth 18m, a net usable of 110bar (180 minus 70 is 110). Finning out for 10 minutes, an easy swim looking at all the cool marine life around -- you already know by the end of this 10 minute interval that you've used up 56bar (see previous paragraph above), so you decide to turn the dive.

You should now know you have roughly 50bar of usable gas left before encroaching on your Rock Bottom Reserve, and realize that you must start a nominal ascent within the next 10 minute interval. Alright, so while turning back, you see a turtle and decide to chase it for a few minutes, huffing & puffing on your reg, until it dives down below your operational depth of 18m; because of this physical exertion you immediately check your SPG and it reads 70bar --bingo! Rock bottom has arrived so start ascending to the shallower depths . . .or if your Buddy just happens to blow his tank neck O-ring at that instant --you know you've got plenty of breathing gas margin for a controlled air-sharing Emergency ascent profile as described above. . .

Be aware that depending on environmental conditions and physical exertion (cold water, stiff current, long surface swim, heavy workload at depth etc), you may have to decide on-the-fly to reserve a greater Rock Bottom Reserve --perhaps as high or even over 100 bar (half tank) on the 11L/AL80 tank to be even more conservative.

____
Notes for American Divers using US Imperial Units:
Stressed SCR of 28 litres/min is equivalent to 1 cuft/min;
Nominal SCR of 22 litres/min is approx 0.75 cuft/min.
2 bar/min is same as 29psi/min;
5.6 bar/min is 81psi/min

Easy imperial US/metric conversions for depth & pressure, that you can do in your head:

Depth in meters multiplied by 10/3 gives depth in feet;
Feet multiplied by 3/10 gives meters.
Example: 18m(10/3) = 60' ; 60'(3/10) = 18m

Pressure bar multiplied by 3/2, and multiplied again by 10 gives pressure psi;
Pressure psi multiplied by 2/3, and divided by 10 gives pressure bar.
Ex): 200bar(3/2)(10) = 3000psi ; 3000psi(2/3)/10 = 200bar.

___
Your common counting numbers, or reference cardinal numbers, for depth in scuba are:

Imperial US (feet) by 10's:
Ex): 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110 etc

Metric system goes by 3's:
Ex): 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33 etc

It's easier to figure out ATA (Atmospheres Absolute depth multiplier factor) with meters:
Example: 24 meters is 3.4 ATA (divide 24 by 10 and add 1); the equivalent 80 feet in US/imperial is also 3.4 ATA, but not as easy to calculate (80 divided by 33 plus 1).​

I can estimate my remaining gas, no matter the depth, on any dive. I'm always within 100psi (and if i'm off, I'm under what I think I have remaining, ex: i guess i have 1400 psi, but actually i have 1500). I know my average SAC no matter the conditions, and I can tell when I've been working harder, just by my breathing. I have had no technical training and have around the same amount of dives as you.
Knowing your SAC and how that will effect your dive plan is not advanced diving. It's basic stuff. You either have enough gas to do the dive you are planning, or you don't.

Why not just look at your pressure gauge?

So far to do the gas planning you consider necessary for a safe dive you need to know your air consumption rate for the given activity, the finning rate, the direction you will travel for each leg of the dive and the depth profile for each leg of the journey. You would also need to know your tank size or at least be able to make adjustment for you tank size. It implies that you must adhere to the plan.

To make it a little more realistic and applicable to the way most recreational dives that I've witnessed are conducted, assume you do not know the time required to travel each leg of the dive.

Let's assume for the moment that you have the information I listed above. With reference to the previous example, outline your gas planning procedure in detail. From what you have explained to date it would go something like this:

1. Calculate the average depth of the leg in question. This can be done by adding the maximum and minimum depth and dividing by two or approximating the average based on a detailed visualisation of the profile.

2. Calculate your air consumption rate. To be accurate it needs to be adjusted for your activity level and be based on a relatively recent assessment of your rate. Mine can vary significantly over a period of some months.

3. Determine your average finning rate. This assumes you know from previous dives how long it takes to cover a fixed distance. Again this is highly dependent on what you're doing. It also implies that you must maintain that finning rate for the dive plan to work. Assume you have calculated and remembered a range of finning rates from a previous dive. Otherwise you'll need to jump in the water and time your finning rate doing various activities.

4. Knowing your finning rate, determine the time it will take to cover a given segment of the dive plan. For example, if the first leg was to be 50 m and your finning rate was estimated to be 10 m per minute then the time to travel that distance is 5 minutes. You'll need to assume you know all the points of interest on the dive and make allowance for the time you will spend at each. Note that on more complicated dives you may get lost and you would also need to factor in an allowance for time needed to backtrack.

5. Determine the air consumed for the individual leg of the dive by multiplying your air consumption rate by the time at that depth. Then correct the volume calculated to a reference depth. I'll let people like Bob and TS&M explain in more detail how they will do this using simple primary school mental arithmetic.

6. Do 4-5 for each leg of the dive. In the case of this example there are three legs with two being the same.

7. Sum the air consumed for each leg of the dive.

8. Calculate the amount of air your cylinder holds at the required reference pressure and compare that with your estimated air requirement.

9. If the available air is less than your required air adjust change your dive plan to minimise the air needed. Iterate until the available and required air is approximately equal.

So who is going first? Bob or TS&M?

It's not that complicated. I thought you said you read my article ... clearly you didn't understand it. Perhaps that's my fault for not making it clear enough ... but then, given the hundreds of other people who have read and understood it over the past decade, perhaps not.

Here's how my AOW students do the exercise. I teach them to use "scuba math" ... which is simple rounding off to simplify the arithmetic.

1. You research the site and make a plan that estimates the profile you're planning to do ... i.e. where you're going, how long you expect it to take to get you there, how long you're planning to be there, and how long it's going to take you to get back. So for the site I described above, 15 minutes to get to a depth of 30 meters, 8 minutes at 30 meters, 15 minutes to get back up from 30 meters. That's 30 minutes at an average depth of 15 meters (2.5 ATA) and 8 minutes at 30 meters (4 ATA).

2. You should know what your typical consumption rate is. Let's say with the tank you're using it's 25 psi per minute SAC. If you're expecting current or some other condition that's likely going to cause you to work harder, kick it up to 30 psi per minute. But on this particular dive you'd only do that if you were diving in the middle of a large tidal exchange. So let's say you planned your dive around a period of small exchange and go with the 25 psi per minute.

Leg 1 - 15 minutes at 25 psi per minute = 375 psi, normalized for pressure is x 2.5 = 940 psi ... since we're rounding, let's say 1000 psi ... that gives you a bit of a cushion for the unexpected.

Leg 2 - 8 minutes at 25 psi per minute = 200 psi, normalized for pressure is x 4 = 800 psi

Leg 3 - same as leg 1 = 1000 psi

You should plan a minimum of 2800 psi in your tank for that dive. Adding in a desired reserve, you'd want a fill of at least 3300. Less than that, you should plan a less aggressive dive.

Pretty simple ... anyone with a fourth grade education can do that much..

How do you know SAC rate? You measure it ... in class we do this on a given dive by tracking starting and ending pressures on timed portions of the dive at specific depths ... and we do so under varying conditions ... one timed segment while kicking hard, one while moving slowly ... to give you the upper and lower ranges for your specific consumption rate. Students use their actual consumption under those conditions to calculate their "city miles and highway miles" ... to continue the car analogy I gave previously. By researching the site, you get some idea of what conditions to expect, and choose a point on that continuum that you'd expect to be applicable for that particular dive. If you expect rougher conditions, choose a higher SAC number.

You don't need to know how much air your cylinder holds at a specific pressure. If you're using a different size tank than the one you used to measure your consumption rate you only need to know now much volume your cylinder holds per psi (or per bar if you're using metric). This is determined by dividing the volume of your cylinder by the rated pressure ... for example, a high pressure 100 would be 100/3500 or 0.028 cubic feet per psi ... or for practical purposes, 2.8 CF per 100 psi. For an AL80 it's 77.4/3000 or 2.6 CF per 100 psi. So if you made your measurements on an AL80 and are going to be using an HP100, you'd want to normalize ... which you can do by simple division ... 2.6/2.8 = 0.93 or 93% ... which I wouldn't even bother with since it's close enough for roundoff error, and leaving it alone just gives you a bit more reserve if all goes right. If it was the other way, going from larger cylinder to smaller, I'd add 10% to your measured SAC which would more than cover the difference ... and adding 10% to any calculation should be something any reasonably intelligent adult should be able to do in their head ... in the example above it would be 2800 + 280 which would be 3080 psi needed when using the smaller tank (which should be sufficient clues to tell you that you can't do that dive on that tank ... WHICH IS REALLY RATHER THE POINT!)

Now, to your example with the two tech divers ... they would not be making these conversions at the dive site ... this is part of the dive plan that's known well in advance, and they can show up at the dive site with this information readily available ... all they have to do is plug the numbers into the dive profile and perform steps 1-2 above. Simple arithmetic ... those people would be doing that in their heads, and taking probably a minute to do it.

On the other hand, if you're too lazy to bother making a plan, and following the simple steps you supposedly were taught in your OW training, then I can't help you. Go jump in, paddle about until it's time to abort your dive, and enjoy yourself. Just please ... for your own sake ... keep your dive profiles simple enough so that you can abort the dive pretty much whenever you want to without getting yourself in trouble and you should be fine. Leave the more challenging dives to people who have enough knowledge and self-discipline to plan them properly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 05:31 AM ----------

Why not just look at your pressure gauge?

... and what will you do if you're at 30 meters and your pressure gauge says you don't have enough gas to make it to your exit point? In your case, I suppose you'd just surface ... which will work in most cases. In some, it won't ... for example, if you surface in a boating lane or a kelp bed or a current that will prevent you from surface swimming back to your boat or point of exit.

What do you do then? Looking at your pressure gauge won't help you resolve the problem you just got yourself into.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's not that complicated. I thought you said you read my article ... clearly you didn't understand it.

You broke the rules. I said you don't know the time for each leg of the dive in advance. At best you've got a plan of the dive site. How do you work under those conditions?

You teach that to advanced divers. This forum is for divers with OW certification.

Your calculation is similar to mine except that you work in pressure and 'normalize' the pressure for each leg. Working with pressures does make the numbers more manageable.

That was for one iteration. If you didn't have enough air you'd need to iterate until you achieved a suitable dive plan?

That was a simple route using simple numbers. What if my dive had over ten legs each with varying depths.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think most OW divers could or would want to do this calculation in their head particularly as the dive got more complex.

Back to the way we typically dive here in Perth. I'll repeat the circumstances again. We arrive at the site and get a site briefing a couple of minutes before we jump in. No one except the skipper knows where we'll end up before that. It's a decision he makes based on the conditions on the day. We may arrive at a dive site and find it is unsuitable at the last minute. We do two dives in a day. The area we dive is 20 km off shore or more and ranges over some 100 km2. Even if we do dive the same site it is rarely approached from the same direction. The boat will probably be moored in a different location and the boat can drift around the anchor by over 50 m. Depths in the areas we dive rarely exceed 30 m. Some sites range from 6m to 30 m although most sites have a narrower depth range. Once the anchor is lowered, you get vague directions on where the good spots and deep areas are located and the range of depths for the site.

How would you go about planning a dive in these circumstances?

For vacation diving I have a rule of halves, when half my air is gone I ascend to half the depth and turn around 180 degrees to head back to the boat.

... and what will you do if you're at 30 meters and your pressure gauge says you don't have enough gas to make it to your exit point? In your case, I suppose you'd just surface ... which will work in most cases. In some, it won't ... for example, if you surface in a boating lane or a kelp bed or a current that will prevent you from surface swimming back to your boat or point of exit.

What do you do then? Looking at your pressure gauge won't help you resolve the problem you just got yourself into.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Like I said before, I would not recommend OW divers navigating an area where they couldn't surface safely especially if there was a chance of a ship passing overhead.

You broke the rules. I said you don't know the time for each leg of the dive in advance. At best you've got a plan of the dive site. How do you work under those conditions?
Why wouldn't you know? As I said before, you don't seem to comprehend the basics of dive planning. That's something you should have learned in your OW class ... or at best, AOW.

But OK, let's play by your rules. You estimate, and base your plan on the estimate. You arrive at a given pressure you need in your tank based on your plan. So let's say it takes you longer to complete the first leg than you estimated. Given your plan, you now know that continuing the dive is going to put your short on air. You now have enough information to take steps to either adjust the dive plan accordingly or turn back before you find yourself at 30 meters and low on air.

Without information to base that decision on, what would YOU do?

You teach that to advanced divers. This forum is for divers with OW certification.
Where'd you ever get that idea? This forum is for basic diving. AOW teaches basic diving skills ... it does not, even in my class, turn someone into an advanced diver. Only diving does that.

Your calculation is similar to mine except that you work in pressure and 'normalize' the pressure for each leg. Working with pressures does make the numbers more manageable.
Well then ... if it makes managing the numbers easier, why wouldn't you do it that way?

That was for one iteration. If you didn't have enough air you'd need to iterate until you achieved a suitable dive plan?
... which is, of course, the whole point of MAKING a dive plan. Without knowing you didn't have enough air for that dive, you'd do WHAT ... jump in, paddle about, and suddenly realize that you didn't have enough air to get where you're trying to go? Then what?

That was a simple route using simple numbers. What if my dive had over ten legs each with varying depths.
You do the same thing for each leg. The arithmetic doesn't get any harder just because you have to do it more times.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think most OW divers could or would want to do this calculation in their head particularly as the dive got more complex.
I never said you'd want to ... those who do, will. Those who don't will jump in the water, paddle about, and abort the dive when their air supply forces them to surface (hopefully). But the more complex the dive, the more it would be to your benefit to contemplate the question "do I have enough gas for this dive?" ... and without some kind of method for answering that question, how else would you know?

Back to the way we typically dive here in Perth. I'll repeat the circumstances again. We arrive at the site and get a site briefing a couple of minutes before we jump in. No one except the skipper knows where we'll end up before that. It's a decision he makes based on the conditions on the day. We may arrive at a dive site and find it is unsuitable at the last minute. We do two dives in a day. The area we dive is 20 km off shore or more and ranges over some 100 km2. Even if we do dive the same site it is rarely approached from the same direction. The boat will probably be moored in a different location and the boat can drift around the anchor by over 50 m. Depths in the areas we dive rarely exceed 30 m. Some sites range from 6m to 30 m although most sites have a narrower depth range. Once the anchor is lowered, you get vague directions on where the good spots and deep areas are located and the range of depths for the site.

How would you go about planning a dive in these circumstances?

Your skippers seem remarkably uninformed of the sites they're taking you to. I'm not sure I'd opt to go diving with them under the circumstances you describe.

I've been diving off of boats all over the world, and yet to meet a skipper who couldn't provide me with adequate information about a dive site to allow me to create some sort of plan ahead of time. Now, if we're diving off a live boat, I don't really care ... in that case, I'll often drop in the water, paddle about, and abort the dive when my air supply or elapsed time tells me I have to. But then, I'm expecting the boat to come pick me up wherever I surface. On dives where I have to get back to an anchored boat, or to a shore exit, I'm not getting in the water without first having a pretty good idea what I'm going to need to do to be able to get back out. That's the purpose of dive planning ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 07:22 AM ----------

Like I said before, I would not recommend OW divers navigating an area where they couldn't surface safely especially if there was a chance of a ship passing overhead.

You don't always know ahead of time ... don't they have kelp beds or surface current in Australia? Or is it simply that your experience is so limited you've never had to deal with those things? In places like the west coast of the USA, those are a way of life, and people are expected to know how to deal with them straight out of OW class ... or limit their dives to sites that they know won't have them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom