End of the season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dive all year but by January we will be breaking out the 5mm. Go ahead and laugh, but we're cold. Come on down and join us.

That was my line for years. I stumbled on a used suit for a reasonable price. Until then a $76 40,000 BTU infrared heater mounted on a propane cylinder helped the SI.

i'm in my first year of diving and didn't want to stop when it got cold. so i was of the same mindset and bought a portable propane heater to keep me warm as i continue to dive through winter. a pop-up canopy with 4 flimsy walls will serve as shelter. i wasn't sure how well my plan would work out, but i'm glad to know it has been done.

gcarter, Keep your eyes open on ebay and Scubaboard also. You never know when you may score a great deal on a used drysuit. I found mine on ebay and have been diving it for going on three seasons now. Gotta love the St Lawrence in winter. 70-100' vis and not alot of surface traffic. I would however recommend a neo suit for the added warmth. You'll not regret it!!

I am always scanning www.kijiji.ca - that's how I picked up 2 HP100 tanks last winter, too good to pass up!

gcarter, I'm sure others have said it but keep looking through the classifieds here and elsewhere for used dry suits. I got the mother of all deals on mine- $200 for a DUI TLS350 with pee valve, kevlar knee and elbow patches, thigh pocket, and new seals. My seals didn't work out so well for me so I spent another $400 or so on zip rings with silicone seals, but even then, I still got an unbelievable deal.

So the deals are definitely out there. Keep looking every day and you'll find something.

I went out on Saturday and the water was 19 degrees C (66F?) and that felt cold, especially when we got out. I'd really like to dive all year round, but I don't think that's realistic - not just because of the water temp, but the snow and winds. When the weather begins to improve (in March, I hope) we'll have about 13 deg C in the water… but that's still warmer than at home in the UK where water temps will go down to 6 deg C (44 F?) … maybe I'll have to justify a dry suit and full cold water rig!

DRIS is annoying me - they have a drysuit on sale this weekend for $499, but I just bought a new BP/W so the timing sucks. :(

We dive all year but by January we will be breaking out the 5mm. Go ahead and laugh, but we're cold. Come on down and join us.

I am back in my 5mm already here in UAE, as it gets cooler I will be in my 7mm semi dry but the time the temps reach 20C.

Temperatures are all relative, and given the long exposure times on some dives plus the boat ride back to the dive op, I am even considering purchasing a dry suit

I'll second Searcaigh above. Just looking at my log for this year, in Jan the sea temp was 23C (73f) and the highs in sept were 33C (91F) - all temps at the surface. Late year I dived a 5/7mm plus hood in the winter and this year I have a new 7mm. In the summer I never get below a 3mm. And yes I dive with people you in the winter here either don't dive as it's "too cold" or who have Dry or semi dry suits...

While all the good natured banter of who dives in the coldest (or warmest) is fun, in all seriousness it's what you are acclimatised too.

Bob (Grateful Diver's) snow diving pic send shivers (literally up me) but then again how many of you who live and dive in more normal places would come out when it's 120F in the shade and 90% humidity? That's our summer - but we're used to it. Even the boat ride out to the site is like sitting in from of a hair drier. Cooling breeze? What cooling breeze?

All that said, right now I'd take the chance to cold dive, I slipped a disc in my back in sept rather badly - so excursions out are via wheel chair (walking limited) and my diving since then is limited to living vicariously through other peoples' experiences. No Whale Sharks or dolphins for me this year apart from other peoples pictures/videos. Christmas in Bali was cancelled a while ago. The closest I'm getting to it is looking at my dry gear and preassign to get better soon.

The moral:- Don't be too disheartened if the water is too cold/warm for you, at least (even if you rent) you could dive if you really wanted too. No matter how much I want too at the moment it's impossible :(

All that said, right now I'd take the chance to cold dive, I slipped a disc in my back in sept rather badly - so excursions out are via wheel chair (walking limited) and my diving since then is limited to living vicariously through other peoples' experiences. No Whale Sharks or dolphins for me this year apart from other peoples pictures/videos. Christmas in Bali was cancelled a while ago. The closest I'm getting to it is looking at my dry gear and preassign to get better soon.

The moral:- Don't be too disheartened if the water is too cold/warm for you, at least (even if you rent) you could dive if you really wanted too. No matter how much I want too at the moment it's impossible :(

Hope you get better soon DD and have an opportunity to dive in 2014

Hope you get better soon DD and have an opportunity to dive in 2014

Thanks Searcraigh. got back op booked for here in Dec, so will get back in the water asap.. perhaps next very we could catch up and perhaps dive together (or as a group)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom