University Dissertation - Would be grateful for 5 mins of your time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with TSandM. It is odd to first answer about distance as a function solely of visibility (which makes sense) and then distance as a function solely of skill level (which does not make a lot of sense).

Good luck with your dissertation.

Done and I had no problem with the way the questions were laid out. I tend to be closer to other pro's I trust as they know how to dive with a buddy. One's I don't know or have a concern about I want to be close to as well to show them what buddy diving is. Many don't seem to know if you go by how they teach their classes.

Your question about distances is odd, though. Relating distance to visibility makes sense -- but the last two questions (novice and pro diver) would still be dependent on visibility.
I thought it spot on. I treat professionals differently than the average diver.

Done.

Took 2 mins, plus the time when I was interrupted by a 10-th grade student asking me "How do you find the average of 6 numbers?"
You're not going to just leave us hanging like that, are you? :wink:

I agree with TSandM. It is odd to first answer about distance as a function solely of visibility (which makes sense) and then distance as a function solely of skill level (which does not make a lot of sense).

Good luck with your dissertation.

I thought it spot on. I treat professionals differently than the average diver.

I'd like to clarify my previous post. I have no problem with making a distinction with the way a professional may dive with another professional as opposed to a beginner diver. However, I don't think it makes sense to put an exact number to the separation between dive buddies with no reference to visibility. It is one think to say "I dive farther apart when I am in water with another instructor and long time buddy". It is another thing to say "even in 2m visibility, if I am with another instructor and long time buddy, I will dive 6m apart from him".

I think it would be better if the question on buddy experience were phrased somewhat like this: "the maximum distance I feel comfortable when with a novice/professional diver is: ...".

It is just a small criticism, though, and a detail that does not significantly detract from the survey.

Done: Good luck with the dissertation.

Hey fellow divers!

I’m a final year Student at the University of the West of England studying product design.

My dissertation is looking into the emotion and safety of scuba diving with a buddy, and i'd love to hear peoples thoughts and experiences worldwide since scuba diving happens anywhere with water.

I’d be really grateful if you could fill out this survey for me.

Click here to take survey

Thanks again and enjoy your diving!

Ada,

Answered. I hope it was helpfull.

Next time you publish a survey then please consult (optimally) a statistician or even mathematician (or about anyone who has made lots of decent surveys) so that you get a better survey that can be properly analyzed. I'm sure you get some usefull information from the survey, but too many questions have too limited answering options. The ranges were limited. There was no option to tell "I do not own". You want to study emotion and yet I can not see many emotion related fields that could easily be scored numerically. "the emotion and safety of scuba diving" means you might benefit from chatting with a psychologist for a short moment. I am sure they have ways to measure and categorise these things.

Back
Top Bottom