More Near Misses and Incidents in the FL Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sort of underscores the importance of a check out dive to me. I haven't been asked to do one in a long time, but it seems ~7-8 years ago it was normal. An SMB is an equipment solution to a skills problem (namely, planning and executing a dive such that you end up back at the boat). I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea to carry one, but it's not a silver bullet for the drifting diver problem.

Sure every diver needs the skill to plan and execute their own dives safely. And that happens most of the time to most divers. But even to the best of us, weather and ocean conditions can and do sometimes change drastically for the worse. Isn't it better to be prepared for the "what if" that never happens than to have it happen to you when you are unprepared?

Let me add the suggestion of a Nautilus Lifeline.

I carry one on every dive. Haven't needed it. YET!

I'm not sold on this tech yet. Too many reports of people who try to contact the boat and fail. I've been on a boat where the diver told the crew ahead of time that he was going to hail them and from <100 feet away it didn't work. Also the form factor stinks. No good place to put it where it's not in the way. I think in time it's a great technology, but right now it's still clearly v1.0.

I have a Nautilus and hope to never it use it. This inspires me to practice with my SMB and reel.

Sort of underscores the importance of a check out dive to me. I haven't been asked to do one in a long time, but it seems ~7-8 years ago it was normal. An SMB is an equipment solution to a skills problem (namely, planning and executing a dive such that you end up back at the boat). I'm not suggesting it's a bad idea to carry one, but it's not a silver bullet for the drifting diver problem.

Ever had a broken anchor line in a fast current and big swells? What is the "skills" solution?:confused:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Okay, Okay Elena... you convinced me. I'm going to replace the old ratty SMB I never use with a nice new one for my foreign dive trips (including places like south Florida! Tee hee).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Nautilus LifeLine is currently on sale today until midnight! Cyber Monday Special! $269 for the unit and $20 for the pouch! Contact your local dealer or purchase online. If you do run across any problems please feel free to contact the headoffice,
we are all about customer satisfaction!
[/FONT]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom