What gear malfunctions have you ever had?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive enough, everything with you will break at some point. I have had failures in first stages, second stages, drysuit, lights, cylinders, o-rings and it goes on and on.

Heh.

Leaking wing inflator, leaking wing (pinch flat that occurred ON the dive), reg leaks, DIN oring leaks, bonnet oring leaks, dislodged HID bulb, scooter prop disassembly, depth gauge failure, leaking DS zipper, hole in seal, sticks caught in 2nd stage, shells/sand caught in 2nd stage, spring strap popped off the pin (gotta hammer those down), broken valve stem, leaky scooter (gotta be quick on the draw to save the dive on that one), cut light cord, broken light cord, lost my wetnotes pencil, jammed reel. Probably others I can't think of.

Pretty much 1 of everything. None of it was a big deal, most was fixed either on site or in the water on the dive. I can only recall a few instances where one of these failures resulted in a scrapped dive. I carry a lot of spares because I hate having to go home because somethin' broke.

inb4 comments about maintenance. Its all well maintained, but sometimes things break.

On a used BCD (several checkout dives in pool, first OW dive), corrugated tubing on my wife's inflator broke clean off at 100ft. Low vis, high current NC wreck dive on the John D Gill (lots of little pieces of metal, no real boat). That was no fun. She decided to coninue the dive, giving me her extra weight and using me as buoyancy control. We completed the dive successfully and it proved to her she was more capable than she thought (pretty new diver, should NOT have been on that dive. Lesson learned!).

This has happened several times. My first stage has let HP through instead of IP due to internal O-ring blowing causing 2nd stage to free flow violently. Luckily I was in SM each time, so I cut off the valve quickly, switched to that reg, and exited the cave feathering it. Hollis 1st stage did it twice, despite fresh services by me (I was sold an old parts kit) and two brand new Hog D3 regs did the same thing. The Hog regs had brittle o-rings on the HP seat.

One life threatening

Kicked out of a rental full foot fin in a place I should not have been anyway. With only one fin did not have enough propulsion or control and was slammed into the rocks and tumbled about in a crack. Was able to retrieve the fin between waves and bail out with only minor cuts and bruises. Don't use rental gear any more. (not the gear's fault, but it did teach me to have gear I know and can rely on)

Lots of other very minor stuff

70's plastic backplate broke in two at depth - tank was loose, but just a pain, so continued the dive
Camera housing flood - twisted o-ring - my fault, killed camera, housing and lens
Camera housing leak - a few drops - surfaced with no damage done
2nd stage free flow - at 10 feet so just ended the dive and no longer use that reg
computer failed - locked me out at 10 feet on the first dive of the day - twice on the same trip. Borrowed a computer and replaced the faulty one
computer battery flooded - finished the dive
dry suit wrist seals failed - continued the dive trip using tape to try and patch the holes and poured a gallon of water out of the suit at the end of each dive - very very cold
multiple dry glove tears - cold hands
mask glass keeper popped out - took me two dives to figure out where the mask was leaking
mask broken - my mask, someone else using it. They came back with the mask in two pieces
strobe died - continue shooting for the week with ambient light
several blown tank o-rings

how come nobody wants to mention a condom failure??????
Dont have a p-valve, so not an issue for me :p

Proplus 2 computer failure while descending. Was fine on surface, got in the water started going down, the damn thing went crazy on me at about 20ft, just counting numbers and flashing. Was an issue with a "stuck" button on the front. Suffice it to say, I don't use a console computer anymore, wrist only.

HP hose rupture on top of the boat, scared the crap out of me

Mask Strap- it happens

O-ring on the tank failed at depth. Luckily, still delivered enough pressure to the reg to keep breathing but NOT FOR LONG. Talk about a roar of bubbles. As they say, check that O-ring on those tanks that get used over and over and over again and make sure you have a perfect seal. If your reg doesn't seat just right or it needs a bit taller valve on the tank, SWAP TANKS and get it right on the surface. 80' down in a swim-through if someone kicks your reg or pulls a hose is no place to find out your reg wasn't properly fitted to the tank or the O-ring was cracked and you didn't notice it. After 100's and 100's of dives, one can let their guard down as it becomes so routine. Treat every dive and equipment check as though it were your first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom