OMG, OMG, OMG!!! Halcyon wings now come in colors!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome! Large quantities of win.jpg

Didn't light monkey have some other name and litigation from halcyon? Something about former employees starting a new company or something...

I'm not sure why the Halcyon wing needs slots, since they are designed to use an STA. Perhaps I am missing something.

Correction: The DRIS (Light Monkey?) wing shape looks very much like the Halcyon wing. You may not have noticed that the DRIS wing came out after the Halcyon wing. By a couple of weeks or so, at least. :wink:

If they are going to copy a wing shape...the Halcyon Eclipse, would be a good one to go with. If your goal were to copy something.
Why slots? Because then I could use it with my plate.
I don't particularly care for STA's. Originally it was a band aid to make a doubles plate work for single tanks before Halcyon (which was the first to put slots in wings) decided there was simpler way to do things and eliminated an unnecessary part.
Now it looks like Halcyon is back to promoting STA's??? unless they make another wing with slots that I'm unaware about?
I always look for slotted wing alternatives for my plate since it is a dedicated single tank plate and designed to eliminate the STA.
I like the idea of the cam straps going completely through the plate instead of counting on two 5/16" bolts with wing nuts or thumb wheels to take the full load of a heavy steel mega tank. Plus STA's place the tank further away from your back, there are extra parts to lose or have problems with (galled up threads etc.) and as I see it are just another component that is easily eliminated especially for single tank diving.

It's too bad because it looks like a very nice slick little narrow streamlined wing.
I like the camo one :)

I'm not sure why the Halcyon wing needs slots, since they are designed to use an STA. Perhaps I am missing something.

Correction: The DRIS (Light Monkey?) wing shape looks very much like the Halcyon wing. You may not have noticed that the DRIS wing came out after the Halcyon wing. By a couple of weeks or so, at least. :wink:

If they are going to copy a wing shape...the Halcyon Eclipse, would be a good one to go with. If your goal were to copy something.

An STA, single tank adapter, meant to adapt a doubles plate to single tank use, is a bandaid fix.

N

As said, Oxycheq has sold colored wings for a while. and since I mostly dive with my wife, colored equipment makes it easier to distinguish ourselves from other divers..
_B301564.jpg

This is her new wing.....we also have reg hoses in different colors, so we don't mix them.

I like the idea of the cam straps going completely through the plate instead of counting on two 5/16" bolts with wing nuts or thumb wheels to take the full load of a heavy steel mega tank. Plus STA's place the tank further away from your back, there are extra parts to lose or have problems with (galled up threads etc.) and as I see it are just another component that is easily eliminated especially for single tank diving.

The strength and ability of two bolts and wing nuts being able to hold a tank, is really a non-issue. Those same two bolts and wing nuts easily handle big steel double tanks. The wing nuts and bolts seem to have a loose class of fit, I doubt there's much real concern about galling.
Loss of parts.....sure, I could see that happening. I just check them to ensure they are tight.

I have both STA and STA-less designs, tank distance is not something that I ever notice while diving. Fans of one, will criticize the other, but I have honestly never noticed a difference.

In terms of overall design, the DSS STA-less single tank rigs are hard to beat. They are great wings, and plates!
The DSS LCD 30, being a design that doesn't use a STA is certainly a cleaner design, and I really like it. Very well thought out. Perhaps you should make your plates to match the cam band openings on the DSS single tanks wings, if they don't match already.

Maybe Halcyon went to a STA design, to allow the use of their STA weight insert....I don't know.
Either way, the differences between the two in actual diving isn't something that I notice.

I'm pretty certain that DIR divers go for black for the same reason that Johnny Cash did, it's "slimming".

I'm pretty certain that DIR divers go for black for the same reason that Johnny Cash did, it's "slimming".

Actually I think JC was the Man in Black because he mourned for the souls who were unjustly treated, died in useless conflict and the poor but that some day THE MAN would come around and set it all back right and then he would not have to wear black anymore. Something like that.

I do not think JC was particularly vain that he would be much concerned about his figure.

If Halycon ever decides to produce a wing with 18 to 22 pounds of lift then I will purchase one. Their current stuff is just too big.

Just warming up, back to the Jeep, it needs a new battery:

P6290654_zps04740c5e.jpg

Hey, it is black. People who say black does not show dirt have obviously never owned a black vehicle and lived down a gravel/dirt/mud/dust road.

N

Back
Top Bottom