Key Largo/Lauderdale area jellies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scallop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How are the jellies this year? Last year seems there were a ton of man-o-war and moons around. Will be down the 18-23 in the Keys and 23-27th Lauderdale area.

Hoping the weather is decent too, no wind and nice warm weather would be most appreciated!

So far so good. But you never know.

Thanks, gonna try to get a visit to the BHB in as well. Not sure if we will be able to dive it but I at least want to see the world famous BHB! Approx how long a drive is is from Ft. Lauderdale to the bridge?

I dove last week, there were some moon jellies on the surface but none during the dive(Islamorada)

Moon Jellies seem much less of an issue than the PMOW. Moons are kind of pretty.

Thanks, gonna try to get a visit to the BHB in as well. Not sure if we will be able to dive it but I at least want to see the world famous BHB! Approx how long a drive is is from Ft. Lauderdale to the bridge?

About 45 minutes up 95. If you show up around high tide you'll hate yourself for not diving it.

Yeah last year there were a ton of tiny 1"-4" Potrugese man o war's on every beach from Ocean Pointe Suites up to Deerfield and Lauderdale by the Sea. Did not get to scuba any due to recovering from a bout of pneumonia which sucked horribly.

Went diving off Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday (Rebel and Hog Heaven). No jellies at either site (at least not that I saw), but coming back in moon jellies were thick as flies in the inlet. Thick enough that the boat crew were hanging over the bow marveling at how many there were.

I dove crocker ledges in the keys a week or so ago and there was a solid stream of moon jellies in the upper 10-15 feet, but they were nowhere to be seen during our dive on the eagle.

We had real bad moon jellies in Ft. Lauderdale back in Sept-Oct for a solid 2 or 3 weeks, but I have not seen any since then!
Moons aren't too bad and you will be wearing a wetsuit, just jump in and get down as quick as possible.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom