Where else to shore dive solo beside Bonaire & Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bonaire allows me the freedom to dive solo from shore. Curacao is pretty much the same reef but has some prohibitions against solo diving. Is there any place else within a reasonable flight distance from central New York where I can dive from shore and won't have a problem diving solo?

Most of California. All of Hawaii and the Philippines.

I see you missed the "reasonable flight distance from central New York" and I forgot to add sans-neoprene. I can dive all the cold water I want here without getting on a plane.

Roatan ... the walls and lagoon at Cocoview are diveable anytime, by anybody ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dove the 'wrong' side of Cozumel several times. Cross over on Carretera Transversal (runs across the island from San Miguel). When you get to the south side of the island (facing away from the mainland) you can make a right or a left (if the road is not blocked off). The left turn requires a jeep and some persistence on rocks and sand. Go about ten miles and start looking for the reef to pull in closer to shore (by that I mean at least a 100 to 200 yard swim). You see it come up close to the surface and the waves break slightly. You will find some amazing diving once you navigate thru (or over the reef). If you make a right turn instead you stay on paved roads but the reef swings much further out and it can be a long swim over sandy featureless bottom with some wave action to boot. Still, if you have the patience, there are also some good dives. For tanks, skip the dive shops and go straight to the big filling station in San Miguel. Show them your C card and some ID and you can get tanks for $5 each.

I have never got to dive the east side of Cozumel, what are the currents like?

Not too bad at all. You get more wave action on that side and more surge if you are on a shallow reef. I felt however that there was less current (drift diving) on that side of the island compared to the side facing the mainland. I think it because the currents come up from the south and blast between the Yucatan and Cozumel east side.

I don't know how much of a 'problem' you are concerned about with solo diving. For example, at least one other poster indicated that in Curacao he drove off with tanks and nobody bothered him, to solo dive. So, unless you intend to announce your intent to solo dive, Curacao might be viable.

The shore diving places I'm aware of are:

1.) Bonaire - the big one!

2.) Curacao.

3.) Cayman Islands - Grand, Little and Brac each have something, I think.

4.) Roatan but mainly at certain spots, such as Cocoview and Reefhouse Resort.

5.) Lauderdale by the Sea in Florida.

6.) Blue Heron Bridge.

I don't know whether & to what extent enforcement officials are apt to bother you though.

Richard.

I did some dives off St. Thomas last week by coral world at coki beach. $10 for tanks and weights and a 50' reef with a decent amount of life just 50 yards from shore.

Back
Top Bottom