Northern Yucatan Cenotes-Merida or Uxmal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to dive the Cenotes near Merida in mid-February.

I plan to go for at least 1 week and wanted to know if it's preferable to use Merida or someplace like Uxmal as my "base"?

My understanding is that I can get a flight right to Merida and be based there or take an hour ride to someplace like Uxmal.

I"m trying to balance proximity to the Cenotes with being able to keep busy in a city or town when I'm not diving.

Any suggestions as to location and hotels will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Last edited:
Do you know of any tourist cenote diving in that state? I don't. All I know of are around Tulum, in Quintana Roo. I don't know of an Ixmal; do you mean Uxmal? I think the cenotes in the state of Yucatan are generally along the ancient Chicxulub crater ring and are different from the QR cenotes.

I guess the Moderators got tired of moving threads to the respective geographic forums where they'd work better and gave up? It'd be better to ask there I think...

Don is correct, you need to base yourself in the Mayan Riviera. Specifically between Puerto Adventuras and Tulum if you want to be in the middle of the cenotes. Puerto Adventuras is only a 20 minute colectivo ride from Playa Del Carmen.

Hi,

I appreciate both the previous replies.

Actually, about 5 years ago I rented a car in Cancun and drove south to Tulum.

Based upon the reading that I've done however, there are numerous Cenotes in the Northern Yucatan within about 2 hours of Merida. Those are the ones I'd like to get more specific information about.

Thanks again,

Sy

Don is correct, you need to base yourself in the Mayan Riviera. Specifically between Puerto Adventuras and Tulum if you want to be in the middle of the cenotes. Puerto Adventuras is only a 20 minute colectivo ride from Playa Del Carmen.

Hi,

I appreciate both the previous replies.

Actually, about 5 years ago I rented a car in Cancun and drove south to Tulum.

Based upon the reading that I've done however, there are numerous Cenotes in the Northern Yucatan within about 2 hours of Merida. Those are the ones I'd like to get more specific information about.

Thanks again,

Sy
There are, indeed as I said above - but I also asked if you knew of any scuba diving around Merida, because I don't. Yucatan is the name of the state and the peninsula both, causing some confusion at times. As I mentioned above, the cenotes in that state are generally aligned with the ancient crater rim from the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs - see map below.

There is active scuba diving of cenotes around Tulum which is adjacent to the scuba diving done in the ocean in the area, but there might be some scuba diving of cenotes around Merida even tho ocean diving would suck there. Some places seem to advertise it? Like I said, you should ask on the Mexico forum.

Yucatan_chix_crater.jpg

Thanks for your clarification Dandy.

I haven't used this Board for quite a while and will look for the Mexico forum.

regards,

Sy

Back
Top Bottom