Risks of Ciguatera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*sigh*
This stupid blanket statement of Lionfish in Florida having Ciguatera just will NOT die.
There is no scientific proof to this point, other than the usual shot in a billion of exposure that a can of Tuna Fish carries as far as I know.

OK, here goes.
There has not been a single, solitary, definitive occurrence of Ciguatera in Florida water with Lionfish since the "Invasion " started.
Zero.
Zip.
Nada.
None.
Blank.
Void.
now....
That having been said, there are issues in St Croix, Grenada, and a few other places where Ciguatera is a real and consistent danger in all fish.

So....
in Florida,
Are they totally safe?
No.
Do I eat them?
YES!
Should you eat them?
I dunno, but please help by killing them.

Chug
Not really afraid on lightning in SoFla either.

*sigh*
This stupid blanket statement of Lionfish in Florida having Ciguatera just will NOT die.
There is no scientific proof to this point, other than the usual shot in a billion of exposure that a can of Tuna Fish carries as far as I know.

OK, here goes.
There has not been a single, solitary, definitive occurrence of Ciguatera in Florida water with Lionfish since the "Invasion " started.
Zero.
Zip.
Nada.
None.
Blank.
Void.
now....
That having been said, there are issues in St Croix, Grenada, and a few other places where Ciguatera is a real and consistent danger in all fish.

So....
in Florida,
Are they totally safe?
No.
Do I eat them?
YES!
Should you eat them?
I dunno, but please help by killing them.

Chug
Not really afraid on lightning in SoFla either.

Sorry, I'm a noob to lionfish, spearfishing, etc. Someone mentioned it to me, so I thought I'd ask rather than trudging into the ocean and bringing back poison fish for the family. :wink:

It's quite reasonable to ask about such things. At least now you know what you needed to know.

On the other hand, the risk of getting stung by a lionfish you're trying to kill or stash in a container is not inconsequential, and if you're under 25 dives, how much experience do you have being task-loaded (e.g.: camera or other gear requiring attention)?

I would think exposure to lionfish when hunting would be a matter of degree, which I'll represent progressively here:

1.) Spear it, somehow get it off the spear, let it drop, and if it's wounded just let it be.

2.) Spear it, but then try to 'put it out of its misery' with a knife.

3.) 1.) or 1.) & 2.), plus try to stash it in some sort of container to remove for eating later.

If you're concerned about eating them, I assume you plan to collect the bodies somehow & haul them out. More task-loading.

If all that combined doesn't bother you, let me risk a little fear-mongering. In some areas some animals have learned divers sometimes offer handouts of slain lionfish; groupers, moray eels and even sharks. I don't know how at ease you are with predators yet, but if a reef shark, large moray or barracuda takes an active, close interest in you, are you ready for that?

Before you start carrying around freshly speared, bloody, maybe even thrashing a little, fish.

Richard.

It's quite reasonable to ask about such things. At least now you know what you needed to know.

On the other hand, the risk of getting stung by a lionfish you're trying to kill or stash in a container is not inconsequential, and if you're under 25 dives, how much experience do you have being task-loaded (e.g.: camera or other gear requiring attention)?

I would think exposure to lionfish when hunting would be a matter of degree, which I'll represent progressively here:

1.) Spear it, somehow get it off the spear, let it drop, and if it's wounded just let it be.

2.) Spear it, but then try to 'put it out of its misery' with a knife.

3.) 1.) or 1.) & 2.), plus try to stash it in some sort of container to remove for eating later.

If you're concerned about eating them, I assume you plan to collect the bodies somehow & haul them out. More task-loading.

If all that combined doesn't bother you, let me risk a little fear-mongering. In some areas some animals have learned divers sometimes offer handouts of slain lionfish; groupers, moray eels and even sharks. I don't know how at ease you are with predators yet, but if a reef shark, large moray or barracuda takes an active, close interest in you, are you ready for that?

Before you start carrying around freshly speared, bloody, maybe even thrashing a little, fish.

Richard.

I regularly get stuck with a fish spine somewhere between seeing them in the water and eating them. I would be hesitant to screw with a Lionfish on my track record alone. I'd say try your luck with some NorCal kelp rockfish before you start on one that can do some real damage. I don't know what fish is similar in Fla, but pick something with a lot of spines and is not planning to die without a good fight for practice, it might change your mind.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

Sharks, groupers, barracuda, morays, etc. have never bothered me. I would be more concerned however if said shark was a tiger or bull.

But hey, you've got to start somewhere, and lionfish are pretty slow. Maybe I'll bring a barbecue fork or something in case I can't get the thing off the spear and into the bag. LOL

I regularly get stuck with a fish spine somewhere between seeing them in the water and eating them. I would be hesitant to screw with a Lionfish on my track record alone. I'd say try your luck with some NorCal kelp rockfish before you start on one that can do some real damage. I don't know what fish is similar in Fla, but pick something with a lot of spines and is not planning to die without a good fight for practice, it might change your mind.

I'm not too worried about getting stuck as long as I have the proper containment unit. Anyone know if either of these are available for rental? I'll be in Ft. Myers. (Lionfish Hotel Holding Bag - $55.00 : LionfishHunting.com, online store for lionfish hunting gear) (http://zkstore.com)

I have no idea about rental but I highly reccomend a protective type bag and a pair of scissors. Once back on the boat with lionfish, ice them down as much as possible. Allegedly, a frozen lionfish venom will not work? I have seen this on youtube.com but I will never try it first hand. When you are ready to fillet the fish then simply cut all the spines and fins off the fish. Make sure to cut all the spines/fins at the base and do not even leave a nub. The nub can inject venom. Use gloves and you should be fine, I have done this multiple times and never even came close to a sting.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck

I have no idea about rental but I highly reccomend a protective type bag and a pair of scissors. Once back on the boat with lionfish, ice them down as much as possible. Allegedly, a frozen lionfish venom will not work? I have seen this on youtube.com but I will never try it first hand. When you are ready to fillet the fish then simply cut all the spines and fins off the fish. Make sure to cut all the spines/fins at the base and do not even leave a nub. The nub can inject venom. Use gloves and you should be fine, I have done this multiple times and never even came close to a sting.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck

I go with all youtube can do it video guidance..:D well not really..
The lionfish venom is protein based and breaks down with heat. I do not think cooling or freezing will reduce the toxin but it might reduce the transfer from spine to diver (not sure though) and not wanting to test the theory.

I am all for hunting and eating or not eating..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom