Canon S100 in ikelite housing - easy control of Av and Tv???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm a new owner of the canon S100 in the ikelite housing. I would like to shoot in manual mode with access to both shutter speed and aperture. I will set ISO at 100 and shoot RAW and use a single Inon D180 strobe.

Clearly the ikelite housing is limited to only controlling the front mounted ring dial on the camera and not the back ring dial. Is the only way to toggle between aperture versus shutter speed by pressing the ring button, switching control of the ring, then adjusting.......

Has anyone else noticed a work around that gives access to both Tv and Av?

Appreciate any advice.

Simon

Simon, I have the Canon housing and I don't have control of the back ring dial either. As suggested by another contributer, in Manual mode, you can adjust the aperture with the ring on the front. If you wish to adjust shutter speed, switch to TV mode,adjust the shutter speed, and the return to Manual. The shutter speed will remain at what you reset it to.I'm assuming the Ikelite housing allows control of the dial control at top right.Hope this helps.

the ike does allow switching between the modes...didnt know shutter speed/aperture stayed when you switched modes...gonna have to give it a go and quit my bitching about lack of access to shutter speed in M now :wink:

Thanks all. Great advice and the clarity is really appreciated.

I'm going to follow the advice of Scott Gietler in his article in Canon S90, Canon S95, Canon S100, G11 & Canon G12 Underwater Settings|Underwater Photography Guide

I'll set the front ring to control Tv and fix Av at F6.3 then apply the follow settings as per the article. If I need to switch Av setting then I'll swap to Av mode, adjust Av, then back to manual.....

Macro

• Manual mode, F6.3, 1/500th, ISO 100;
  • Zoom in half-way
  • Macro mode, auto white balance, flash on forced flash mode
  • Turn internal flash to it's lowest power setting
  • Strobe on manual power; adjust strobe power as needed (my strobe is an Inon D180)
  • Use focus check feature

Wide Angle

• Manual mode, F6.3, 1/125th, ISO 100
  • Zoom out
  • ** Adjust shutter speed as needed to control background exposure
  • Auto white balance, flash on forced flash mode
  • Strobe on manual power; adjust strobe power as needed (my strobe is Inon D180)
  • Turn internal flash to it's lowest power setting

Let you know how it goes.......

in Manual mode, you can adjust the aperture with the ring on the front. If you wish to adjust shutter speed, switch to TV mode,adjust the shutter speed, and the return to Manual. The shutter speed will remain at what you reset it to.

I spotted this post just before heading for a dive yesterday, my second dive with the S100 + Ikelite. That's a very useful tip!! So much easier than switching ring function. The buttons on the Ikelite can be a pain to use, so controling Aperture and Shutterspeed using just the knobs is great.

Thanks!

Glad to hear you all enjoyed my article - please send me some photos you've taken when you get a chance! - Ivak diver - that is a GREAT suggestion regarding the Ikelite housing settings - I may include that in the article and credit you :) - Scott

I used this trick on my last dive. Absolutely brilliant. Thank you.

Can someone guide me how to "Turn internal flash to it's lowest power setting" on a Cano s100 camera. Thanks.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom