Having Two Compasses - Warning: Dumb Question Inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave87

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I apologize in advance for my embarrassing, dimwitted question :confused:.

I bought my father (newly certified diver) an Oceanic Veo2.0 NavCon for Christmas, includes the compass on the console. He also has a wrist compass that he plans on using because he likes it on his wrist more than reading it on a console. I am just wondering if having the two compasses in close proximity will affect their reading. I’ve researched throughout the forum and online but could not locate a definitive answer. I assume they will have an effect on the reading due to the magnetic fields but would like confirmation. Thank you in advance for your reply.

1. not unless they are in very close proximity to each other
2. pick an instrument (in this case a compass) and trust it. So, if he is using his wrist compass, put the console somewhere else. Maybe a bolt snap to the BC.

as has been said, the magnets inside the compasses are not strong enough to interfere with each other unless they are withing a few inches of each other, so no issue.

However, I generally don't take equipment on dives unless I either 1. plan on using it 2. might need it. Since I wouldn't plan on using a second compass, and if my compass failed I would just go off my buddy's compass, I wouldn't take a second compass on a dive.

I appreciate the feedback. He will be bolt snapping the console to his BC so wont be too close when reading his wrist compass. I'll pass on the notes you've provided and let him go from there.

Thanks, again.

As it was a present take it to the shop where it was purchased and have it reconfigured into a two boot console. Or better get a wrist mount for the computer and a simple boot for the SPG. Then suggest that you could use a new compass and get DSS boot for it.

As it was a present take it to the shop where it was purchased and have it reconfigured into a two boot console. Or better get a wrist mount for the computer and a simple boot for the SPG. Then suggest that you could use a new compass and get DSS boot for it.

All great ideas as well. I'll mention them to him and let him decide.

I bought my father (newly certified diver) an Oceanic Veo2.0 NavCon for Christmas, includes the compass on the console. He also has a wrist compass that he plans on using because he likes it on his wrist more than reading it on a console. I am just wondering if having the two compasses in close proximity will affect their reading. I’ve researched throughout the forum and online but could not locate a definitive answer. I assume they will have an effect on the reading due to the magnetic fields but would like confirmation. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Actually, they can and will affect one another. They would have to be very close to one another though we are not talking precision navigation. You can see for yourself by holding them next to each other. I have actually seen (misguided) people, wear two compasses on one wrist and then observe that they do not behave well. A compass is not something you need two of.

N

If he were to grab the console with the same hand that has the wrist mount compass, and he were to look at either compass, it would be off.

Pick one, and leave the other on shore.

As we live in different states, I had him test them to see how close they could get before being effected; he said at about 6 inches the stationary one (one he had sitting on the counter) did start to misread. Thanks for the replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom