Barge crash in St Lawrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh. Deepsix, I replied to your PM before reading this thread. I am now rather sorry I did so. I understand your concerns but I find the approach you chose to take in this thread... distasteful. It does not take a chemist or toxicologist to understand that there is a fundamental difference between a CaCl2 spill (note - dissolved, not "liquid" - liquid CaCl2 would be extremely hot - the press never gets this stuff right ;P ) and a pesticide, acid, or fertilizer spill. Heck, the kids learn about that stuff in grade school now. Don't see why Warren's "credentials" are being attacked. Do have fun with mine >:-D

Some perspective:
http://lavoieverte.qc.ec.gc.ca/csl/inf/inf010_e.html Shows the effects of what happens when waters from various souces are blended in the St. Lawrence. You might want to check the Ca++ and Cl- concentrations on the table about half way down.

There may indeed have been a few fish kills in the actual plume - high concentrations of ANY salt mean trouble as osmotic shock is a Bad Thing but I would not anticipate any long-term issues from the CaCl2 nor any problems in areas outside the concentrated plume. I would volunteer to drink the water but I know what else it in it :p

One of the hardest things to do when trying to protect the aquatic environment we all love is to learn *not* to overreact. If we keep pushing the "red alert" button every time something happens we will lose our audience for the stuff that really matters. We also won't have the mental or financial resources to deal with the big stuff. It is dangerous to treat all "chemical" spills equally because of this in part because treating innocuous or low-threat substances as though they are dangerous can lead to treating harmful substances as though they were innocuous. "Crying wolf" is *harmful*.

Other bits and pieces:
Sparky - interesting point about the formation of a halocline - if it was a lake I'd say yes but this is the river and there may be sufficient turbulence to dissapate the salt as it sinks through the river. I sure wish I'd been there with a conductivity meter, though, be an interesting study to do. ( JJ1 - I doubt the solution has the same specific gravity as water - unless it is awfully dilute)

[QUOTE = scubascudado]Let see. Do you know if LD50 rating for cyninde is higher then for CaCl? [/QUOTE]
As a matter of fact, it is one *heck* of a lot lower for cyanide. This would not have been all that hard to look up (yay, google) BEFORE typing.

CaCl2 (anhydrous - will be greater for solution)
ORL-RAT LD50 1000 mg kg-1
ORL-MUS LD50 1940 mg kg-1
(Rat and mouse oral dose - note huge difference between related species)

NaCN
ORL-RAT LD50 6.4 mg kg-1

And for comparison: NaCl
ORL-RAT LD50 3000 mg kg-1
ORL-MAN LDLO 1000 mg kg-1
ORL-MUS LD50 4000 mg kg-1

Before scaring yourselves too much by looking at MSDS sheets (out of context), I strongly recommend reading the list of precautions recommended for
this substance

Cheers all! Cat (Professional Lame Periodical Table Nerd)
Ok, bring it on :flame:

cat:
Sigh. Deepsix, I replied to your PM before reading this thread. I am now rather sorry I did so. I understand your concerns but I find the approach you chose to take in this thread... distasteful.

Cheers all! Cat (Professional Lame Periodical Table Nerd)
Ok, bring it on :flame:

Cat et al,

Don’t put too much weight into d33’s posts. “We” have him slated for a beating when he shows up in Kingston this weekend. “We” don’t want to hurt him. “We” just want to shake him gently; just a little. After which “we” will ensure he gets back to taking his medication as prescribed.

d33: How’s that for a blanket statement, baby? I wonder who the “we” are!!!! Hmmmm :eyebrow:

Cat I hope you come out diving this way sometime. I had fun with your crew last year.

Hmm, why do I suspect that was not the royal "We" :rolleyes:
JamesP:
Cat I hope you come out diving this way sometime. I had fun with your crew last year.
Hehe - ok, brief thread hijack then back to your regularly scheduled beating. Am headed east towards the latter half of August, possibly into early September and you know how well I manage to resist the lure of all those Kingston wrecks... We will see what kind of "crew" I can press gang this time around. Hmm, did I say that out loud?

Thanks Cat --- a little of your knowledge goes a long way to clearing up some of the "technical" mumbo-jumbo for the rest of us.

For the important question by DPVDiver --- yes the charters are still going out, at least on the weekend mine is :D.

For some other points... no the barge did not sink, it ran around. The seaway was closed for major traffic in both directions for a short time, then opened to one-way direction (sort of like road construction x# boats going east, then x# going west) -- I do not believe charters were affected (but I can't confirm this).

d33ps1x:
Not to worry DivingGal. Netdoc and I have already spoken on the issue of hurting the feelings of our knowledge laden community leaders such as poor Warren. We both agreed that the bullet issue was harsh. The closest thing to a classic apology you will ever hear on this matter has already been offered in post #51 and that's as far down that rode as I'll be riding.

Rest easy. The blind are free to lead the blind down any one way street they wish. Status Quo achieved.

Instead of attacking peoples credentials, why havn't you offered your knowledge on the subject? I think someones wetsuit is a little tight :11: ..makes you grumpy :monster:

This thread is so freaking stupped. I'm going diving any one want to come.

Mr A

Mr Adams:
This thread is so freaking stupped. I'm going diving any one want to come.

Mr A

Pick me, pick me.

I think what we tend to forget is that there are people on this board that do have the diving/environmental knowledge to discuss this situation. The problem is that not everyone knows who they are. I have been fortunate enough to meet alot of these people and know thier handles. Don't be to fast to pass judgement on those commenting. Just because they have low posts or keep a low profile doesn't mean they are new to diving. I know of at least two that have had years of experience and are instructors (I will not mention thier names) who keep a very low profiles and I have watched new divers attack them.

I agree with Marie, she is right on.... but I have to admit... the personal "flaming" that occurred in a few replies, really bugged me ( no need for that )... lets learn from each other and respect each others views and opinions.

safe diving everyone ...

Bubblemaker_ontario:
I agree with Marie, she is right on.... but I have to admit... the personal "flaming" that occurred in a few replies, really bugged me ( no need for that )... lets learn from each other and respect each others views and opinions.

safe diving everyone ...
You're right. But I need no convincing. :)

cobaltbabe:
Pick me, pick me.

I think what we tend to forget is that there are people on this board that do have the diving/environmental knowledge to discuss this situation. The problem is that not everyone knows who they are. I have been fortunate enough to meet alot of these people and know thier handles. Don't be to fast to pass judgement on those commenting. Just because they have low posts or keep a low profile doesn't mean they are new to diving. I know of at least two that have had years of experience and are instructors (I will not mention thier names) who keep a very low profiles and I have watched new divers attack them.

I agree with your premise but in the case of this thread diving knowlege is not germain to the discussion. You may be an instructor with 2000 dives under your belt and know nothing about CaCl2. Conversely, you may still be in OW class but have a chemistry degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom