NZ dive trip in late February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone,

I'm traveling to NZ for business in February and have decided to spend an Extra week to dive some of the best sites NZ offers (feb 22-march 1).

From the little I've read, I'd like to hit poor knights, White Island, Milford sound...

Can I feasibly do this in a 7-8 days? Does anyone have any other recommendatinons? Local Dive shops I should contact? Any info would be greatfully appreciated!

I am traveling solo and would ideally like short liveaboards. S far I've only found OceanBlue adventures for a 2 day trip to poor knights.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

Eric

How would you plan on getting between locations? Milford Sound is a LONG way from the Poor Knights if driving! The Poor Knights are definitely great though, even though I have only snorkeled them, really good vis and plenty of fish life.

I'd try to dive Milford first- IMO it's the best.... and most remote. Although it may well rain, we only cancelled diving twice (I think) when the wind was coming directly in from the WNW creating a problem in the fiord. 2 days diving here will be enough- often guests would only do one day.

Then fly north out of Queenstown to Rotorua and dive White Island if the weather is suitable (it can be tricky with the swell vs wind direction). If it's a bust, you didn't miss out that much IMO. THere is some cool stuff to see but nothing really that you couldn't see in other N' Island dive sites- of course the volcano itself is pretty cool to be around.

.... then drive up to the Bay of Islands and Poor Knights before driving down to Auckland for your int. flight.

Where are you starting from and flying from? It's probably the best time of year for the Poor Knights. I think Milford may be stretching it. I'd combine Poor Knights and Bay of Islands - Rainbow Warrior. I'll actually overlap those dates, will be there from 27th Feb diving.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2013 at 09:40 AM ----------

Oh and Dive Tutukaka is the big operator but still my main choice, they're generally good at matching people up with others of the same level if you're alone.

Hi everyone - thanks for the comments and guidance thus far! I will be originating my trip in Auckland on Friday feb 21 end of work day. I'm still looking over options at this point. From what I read, it might make the most sense to have a loose schedule and not tied down to any one thing so I can change plans at last minute based on weather.

NYC--I don't for a second want to put you off. Poor knights is USUALLY an amazing dive site. Do 10 dives and never go to the same place etc.
But right now Its a bit murky. Vis down to 10m.
Not for a second am I saying don't dive there. But before you head up I'd make a call first and see if its cleared out to its normal vis levels.

personally if based in Auckland I would contact these guys. http://www.goatislanddive.co.nz/
The boat is fantastic and the diving is always pretty darn good--bestof all they are based an hour out of auckland.
http://www.goatislanddive.co.nz/divetripschedule

If doing poor knights I'd suggest Yukon dive http://www.yukon.co.nz/
They are a smaller operation so you don't get that feeling you are a product rather than a person
If theres anything I can do to help gimme a yeodle. Im based in Auckland.

Back
Top Bottom