Review UWP workshop by Underwater Tribe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings all, and a happy new year!

I thought I'd start the new year with a review of an underwater photography workshop I attended during my dive holiday on Bali.
I've been a land based photographer for a long time, and being new to scuba diving I wanted to extend that experience with UW photography. I did do my DUP specialty with PADI, but I felt that wasn't really teaching me much on underwater specifics for photography.
Of course there is plenty of materials on the web, including here, but there's no better teacher than experience, so when I organised my diving trip, I specifically looked for someone who could teach me proper UW photography skills and techniques... And I found them!!!
So, during my internet searches and emails to the various operators on Bali, the only one who actually organises UWP workshops is Underwater Tribe.

Underwater Tribe is an outfit owned and run by Mike Veitch and Luca Vaime. Both are skilled professional underwater photographers and dive instructors with plenty professional experience including Bali. I had plenty email discussions with both Mike and Luca on my needs and what they could offer, so generating a good dive package went really smooth. They do have standard UWP workshop packages for different levels of skills and experience, but they also do custom packages. This is very beneficial for me, as I am merely a beginner wrt diving, but I'm quite experienced wrt photography.
What's important to know is that from all the operators I contacted (over a dozen), Underwater Tribe was the only one that actually teaches UW photography. Other than Alex Mustard, I have yet to find other pro's that provide such a service, so I think Underwater Tribe has a particular unique niche in the dive market!

On arrival, Luca picked me up from the airport and filled me in on the plan. His driver then drove me to Tulamben, where I would be staying for the duration of my dive sessions and the workshop. Underwater Tribe selected a nice hotel, which gave me a villa of my own, quite a large one at that! Breakfast and lunch were all included for the dive days, and the bathroom was as big as the bedroom!

I had been suffering from a rough throat for a day or so, and I was concerned I had caught a cold. Interestingly none of my airways seemed to be affected. Luckily the day after my arrival I was well enough to start my workshop with Luca. I think my rough throat was caused by the 500+ pm2.5 in Shanghai the weeks before.
Luca ran me through some basics about aperture and shutterspeed control and how those affect the final image, including basic strobe setup to minimise backscatter whilst using strobes on manual power.
Previous I had shot on sTTL, which seemed to work fine, but during this workshop I learned the benefits of shooting in Manual. The one thing to keep in mind, which I learned during the first 2-3 dives, is that you do need to know your camera equipment and the appropriate settings. Luca taught me all about this through the course of the workshop.

During my first dive we practised how to position the strobes and what the effects are of different Aperture and Shutterspeed for different subject distances. Initially we didn't get the appropriate light output from the strobes until Luca pointed out the setting of, what later in the course proved to be, a most troublesome knob on my INON Z240's! We practised with strobes on full power and control ambient with Shutterspeed, and foreground with Aperture (aperture controls the strobe lighting). My land based photography helped here as the principles are the same for landbased photography, but obviously under water physics are somewhat different so Luca explained the effects of those.
During my second dive, after Luca explained to me the basics of UWP composition, we practised the obtained knowledge on the USAT Liberty wreck. We combined control of ambient lighting, with silhouettes and foreground lighting, and we touched on advanced lighting techniques, where objects that need to be lit up, are at different distances. Luca also posed as a model for some shots practising backlit silhouette shots.

On the second day, Luca taught me about advanced strobe techniques, including positioning, and advanced lighting. We struggled getting power from the strobes, so back on land we investigated the problem, and we found out that the problem was caused by my specific camera (E-PL5 from Olympus), and the setting of the Advanced Cancel Circuit Switch (ACCS). With normal DSLRs, when using optical leads, and flash output set to manual, this switch should be pushed in. Now with DSLRs you can select 2nd curtain sync also for manual mode. My EPL5 doesn't work like that. Apparently, when my EPL5 is set to 2nd curtain sync, it uses some automatic flash control, which the Z240's pick up on. This means that the ACCS should be deactivated (out), as if the strobe was on sTTL (even when the strobe is set on full or manual power).
When the EPL5 is set to manual flash power, the ACCS should be pushed and locked, otherwise you will not get the required output from your strobes! (thanks again with that one Luca!).
On the last dive of the workshop we were able to take full advantage of the strobes abilities, and managed to do some serious shooting, including controlling strobe outputs individually.

After the workshop I had 2 more diving days, during which Luca accompanied me and gave me pointers for Macro shots (During the course we focussed on wide angle as this would be more challenging to get right, and the basics apply to Macro as well)

During the course Luca patiently explained what I was doing wrong and how to correct those. Using slates, hands and feet Luca communicated pointers quite clearly. I noticed significant improvement from when I started the course, and Luca's teachings were as if I made my first steps into a larger universe :)
Luca also pointed out the importance of buoyancy control, which I feel I really need to focus on in the future. Luca also pointed out that it was important to stay relaxed and calm, and take your time to set up your shots.
I have yet to sort out my images and as always, some will need some PS before I can post them.

All in all I had a great time, and learned a lot from Luca. If you ask me would I go again, then my reply will be a full hearted "yes, absolutely!". The price is reasonable, and I definitely learned a lot, which was the whole point in the first place. Underwater tribe is organising several liveaboard workshops in 2014 across the Indonesia region, and I will do my best to attend one of those!
If you want to learn more about UW photography, regardless of your levels, Luca and Mike will sort you out no doubt!

So a special thanks to Luca for an amazing time!

Great report Kryn, I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with Luca and that everything was what you hoped it would be. And most importantly, you were able to improve your uw photo skills!

The pleasure was all mine Mike! I'll be getting some opportunities to practise soon, and hopefully when I see you guys again, I'll be ready for the next step :)

Back
Top Bottom