Why Cut Lionfish Fins Off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea mine is a lot heavier than a deco bottle it is a consonant pull on my BC is the zookeeper a lot thinner than reg pvc

Sounds like a bigger version of those needle waste holders you see in hospitals...same idea too.

Randy did you drill holes in just the bottom or the sides to

So I took the underwater hunter course and am getting my gear together to hunt these things (and other tasty delights!).

But I don't get why people don't cut off the spines in the water. If you shoot 'em with a trident or a paralyzer tip so they cant move, is there a danger I don't understand? I was thinking of cutting the spines off and just putting the fish on the stringer like usual. What am I missing?

So I took the underwater hunter course and am getting my gear together to hunt these things (and other tasty delights!).

But I don't get why people don't cut off the spines in the water. If you shoot 'em with a trident or a paralyzer tip so they cant move, is there a danger I don't understand? I was thinking of cutting the spines off and just putting the fish on the stringer like usual. What am I missing?

I'm just a n00b LF hunter. I have only hunted in Roatan this past fall. What I have learned:

Cutting off the fins will help you from getting poked while continuing your hunt, but:

Spearing them with a paralyzer tip does not result (90% of the time in my limited experience) in an instant kill. They usually remain quite active on the spear.

Maintaining depth while giving 100% of your attention to NOT getting stung while cutting off the spines can be a challenge.

Cutting off the spines takes time, giving you less time to hunt.

Cutting spines and delivering a fatal cut to the fish results in their green blood drawing attention to you. When it's a curious grouper it's comedy. When a green moray chases you for 100' or so, it's only comedy for your dive group. We tried to feed the moray when he showed intense interest, but he seemed to want ME much more than the LF.

I plan on having a LF catch bag for my next Roatan trip.

Since this has been revived...

In line with the OP, I don't cut off the fins if I'm leaving them behind. I use a trident tip because it prevents over penetration. When I'm hunting I carry a BFK. If my shot doesn't kill it, I place the point at the rear of the eye and stab then use the blade to push the beastie off the spear. No real risk of my getting stung.
I've not yet been attacked by any lionfish loving groupers...

One of the issues I have with cutting off spines is that they are usually in deeper water, I would rather use my air on getting more for dinner than cutting spines. Get them and put them in the zookeeper and move on to the next.

Back
Top Bottom