Missing Diver in Cape Town, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WendyCayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
See this link for original article: Missing Diver at Smitswinkel Bay (updated) | nsri.org.za

07h00 (Sunday, 05 January) NSRI Simons Town are continuing to assist Police at Smitswinkel Bay where a diver remains missing. A dive search, coordinated by Police divers and including Police, Fire and Rescue, Navy and WC Government Health EMS divers, is ongoing. This morning, Sunday, 05 January, NSRI Simons Town sea rescue craft joined the dive teams on the scene above the ROCKEATER wreck where the emergency dive teams are continuing the dive search. It has been confirmed that the missing 50 year old Cape Town man was recreational diving (open circuit diving – normal scuba diving, and not using re-breather diving apparatus as previously reported by NSRI) at the time and is suspected to have remained at the wreck after being separated by his dive ‘buddies’ during a dive on the wreck. Upon surfacing 3 divers from the group, on learning the status of the missing man, returned to the wreck to search. Thoughts are with the family and friends of the missing man.
ORIGINAL RELEASE:
At 11h47, Saturday, 4th January, NSRI Simons Town responded to Smitswinkel Bay, Cape Point, on the False Bay side, on the border of Cape Point, where a dive group reported one of their divers missing during what was a 34 meter dive, with scuba dive gear, on the Rock Eater wreck at Smitswinkel Bay. A surface sea search by NSRI Simons Town, the Skymed helicopter, Police and Emergency Services, to rule out any possibility that the 50 year old, Cape Town diver, had drifted away on the sea surface has revealed no sign of the missing diver. The surface sea search continued while Police divers, WC Government Health EMS divers and Navy divers prepared to begin a dive search. The dive search is now under way and is being coordinated by Police divers. According to reports the divers, that the missing man was diving with, had dived on a second dive after they had surfaced and found their dive mate missing, but after not finding the man, during the second dive, they surfaced and raised the alarm. The divers involved were taken to the Simons Town Naval Base medical quarters to be checked for possible decompression illness and they remain under medical observation. Police have opened an investigation and a dive search is continuing.

---------- Post added January 5th, 2014 at 08:08 AM ----------

Will update with more news as it comes available. Very sad days here in the Cape... perhaps there is still hope for this diver in the Cape of Good Hope.

I find it very strange that it's taking this long to find him. Smitswinkel is not exactly famed for it's lush kelp forests. It's basically sand and wrecks. If he's not in a wreck, he would have drifted. Worst case scenario, I sure hope EMS finds him before other divers do. Would be a nasty surprise for unsuspecting rec divers in the area.

Looking forward to reading the full story as it becomes available, especially the point of failure that led to his possible demise. Always an grim reminder of the technicality and risks of recreational scuba diving.

Come now, Shibby! Perhaps he made his way to shore somehow and has yet to make an appearance yet. I'm not give up hope yet. I hate to assume the worst until its certain. The water has been very warm lately... perhaps a diver could last longer than we think. I hope they haven't stopped with their surface searches.

Last edited:
And how did they not find him before now?? Thats the first place I would have looked.

They knew all along that he was inside the wreck. Unfortunately there are no drawings showing the layout, and the inside was silted up, so the recovery was not a simple process at all.

I'd imagine it is quite silty but I couldn't say from experience, as I have not penetrated the Rockeater. Do you have more details? Speak to the search parties? My experience has been that details are slow to follow in South African media, if they follow at all. This is such a devastation to this community of divers... :depressed:

I am absolutely astonished at this news. If anyone hears where the diver was found, please share. I do a fair amount of wreck penetration in the area. I've seen silt upwards of a foot deep piled up on the floor of other wrecks, but not much on the Rockeater. The crew cabin and wheel house are pretty exposed to currents and there is about zero silt. I am guessing that this occurred in one of the two cargo holds where silt might be found. I've done three or four wreck penetrations on the Rockeater. It's a small wreck. I have never achieved a technical penetration as the wreck is too small and restrictions are few. I cant think of a single point where I've been more than six meters from open water. Even with a "recreational level" penetration, it is possible to die just a few feet inside a wreck. I am told that visibility was about 8m this week. Therefore, the wreck was dark and ambient light also limited. Sigh. . . Tragic and avoidable.

I suppose it doesn't matter if it's 6 or 600 metres if you have no idea where the exit is. This is horrible news, so close to home. I suppose we probably won't find out many more details.

An Update from NSRI:

Update: 2013/01/05
In an ongoing dive search operation today, Sunday, 05 January, the body of a missing 56 year old diver has been located and recovered, coordinated by Police divers with the assistance of Navy divers, WC Government Health EMS divers and Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services divers. His body was located and recovered from in the wreck of the ROCKEATER at a depth of 34 meters. NSRI Simonstown assisted with on-scene support during the dive operation. The deceased man’s body has been handed into the care of the Forensic Pathology Services. Family are receiving support from Police and trauma counselors among others. Police have opened an inquest docket. NSRI and the emergency services express sincere condolences to the family of the deceased man. Enquiries SA Police Services Communications Western Cape

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom