Impact of water pressure on camera housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex@nder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi and HNY,

I went recently to Sipadan for diving and experienced problems with my housing when I went below 35 m. The knobs turned to be very stiff to press and going deeper I lost the possibility to adjust camera settings bcs of the effect. Coming up the phenomena completely vanished. I use a Ikelite compact housing for Canon S110. Any thoughts what causes the problem? The housing has a depth range to 60 m as stated by Ikelite.

Regards
Alex@nder

Check and make sure the camera is loaded into the housing straight and doesn't have any rubber eyepieces or viewscreen covers on it. Make sure all the controls are clear and work freely as you load it. On that model, the lens ring gear can possibly not be on fully and cause the camera to be jammed a bit as well.

What is the rated depth of the housing. On some housings, the buttons don't want to return at depth because of pressure differential. Aquatica offers a deep housing modification with stronger springs. It may also be that your housing is deforming slightly and putting pressure on the buttons. I used to have trouble with the shutter button on my SP-350/PT-030 at depth and I lubed the button with a very light drop of silicone. That helped some, but eventually I ended up bring a pair of forceps with me to pull the button out if it stuck after a shot. This only seemed to occur at depths of 90fsw and deeper.
Sorry, missed the rated depth part.

Last edited:
If it is not an alignment issue, the next question would be regarding housing maintenance. Have you lubed the button o-rings? Ref:Underwater Camera Maintenance

Many thanks. I assume it's not an alignment issue but related to diffirential pressure build up. I will try the silicon oil for the buttons. Never did this. And next time I will observe if the problem is alleviated by waiting longer at depth. I assume the knob is pressed against the seal and then just stucks as there is not leverage as at shallower depth where it is completely out. My guess is I deeper I go as less leeway and leverage exist as the knob will be more and more compressed due to the pressure difference. This could be managed by reducing the friction between seal and knob, hence silicon oil.

Many thanks for the explanations.

Kind regards
Alexander

Had that happen with my sealife 1200 at a depth shallower than the depth it is rated for. Returned housing to sealife and they send me a new housing. Have not had the same problem with the new housing.

Good point. I imported it from Germany and live in China. Will be less straight forward

Kind regards
Alexander

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom