keys dive masters, instructors, people doing it for a living

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am planning on a second job while there anyways. How do secondary jobs look there? Im talking setving bartending etc.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 11:51 PM ----------

Ok. I appreciate the input everyone. I still want to learn as much as possible before making a decision. I am however all about interesting life experiences and kind of want to push my luck. The problem is with luck though. My father used to say if it wasnt for.bad luck i wouldnt have any at all. So please and thank you for information provided and more.to come. Perhaps i could use info on the specific dive company and personel. Its keys huka and scuba. The person i have been talking to is captain jerry williams. I would be going on this adventure with one of my best friends so i wouldnt be full on taking on all by myself in the cost of living etc.

If the DM opportunity pans out (it does sound like a scam of some sort), then I say go for it. Don't look back wishing you had given it a shot. Do it with your eyes open. You WILL be poor and you will work very hard for very little pay. if you don't have verifiable experience and a great personality, you will not land a job tending bar. A large number of "dive professionals" here live on the hook (on a boat anchored off-shore) because that's all they can afford. it's a life style that's not for everyone, but some love it.

so, if you are okay with Ramon and whatever you can catch for dinner, living on a small sailboat and taking an open dingy to shore every day regardless of the weather, you'll do okay. if not, you better have some cheese saved up, find a sugar daddy (or mama) or try somewhere else.

I don't know who you're talking to in Marathon, but there's an operator in Key Largo, Rainbow Reef, that will put you through a complete program over the course of a year (I think). You have to pay tuition and then work your arse off on the dive boats while you're getting your education but at the end of the process you've got a LOT of real world experience working on dive boats, in dive shops, as DM and even instructing. I believe they offer housing as part of the deal. I dive with them any time I go to Largo and the folks working their way through the program are great! They work hard but all are having a good time. Most are pretty young, just out of highschool or college, and every one of them tell me they're having the time of their lives. Give Rainbow a call and GO FOR IT!

Another vote for Rainbow Reef: PADI IDC Professional Scuba Instructor Development and Career Center; IDC:scuba diving, Florida keys, Key Largo, diving school, islamoraa

We've been diving with them for 10 years and have witnessed what a quality operation they run. They have two award-winning PADI Course Directors on staff, and they produce top-notch dive instructors. IDC participants go through an Internship on the dive boats and get loads of valuable real life dive operation experience.

If you want to become a dive professional, do your homework and make sure you invest your efforts wisely :D

Make that 3 votes for Rainbow Reef Dive Center. I'm a NAUI Instructor located in Bradenton, FL. Key Largo is approximately 4 hours away. Whenever I have a student who wishes to dive in the Keys, I go to Rainbow Reef. Their professionalism, skill, and knowledge keep me coming back. I've yet to see a bad DM or instructor come from that place.

In fact, I'll be utilizing them Jan 11-12 to finish certifying two Advanced Open Water students. If you have any questions you'd like to ask any of their DM's, shoot me a message. I'll be happy to poke around and get some responses...

Best,
Bill

Make sure you have enough saved in advance to move back.

scerbz - you're already in San Antonio - why not become a starting power forward for the Spurs for a few seasons and put some money aside? When you're done, you can just buy your own small Caribbean nation and work as a divemaster. You won't have to pay yourself - you won't get paid much as a divemaster anyway one way or the other, plus you will have the power of life and death over those who displease/reject your advances.Good luck whatever you do.

Tom is correct.

You have a better chance of catching on with the Spurs than making a living in as a DM in the Keys.

Been instructing since '76 ( as a hobby only) and seen 'em come and go more often than the tide. There just is not that much money spent in the SCUBA industry ( going back decades),
and the foreign travel industry is sucking $$$ out of the Keys - especially with the affluent.

Operators specialize in exploitation of new arrivals and will likely try to get you to spend money on training with them - don't bite.

Get wealthy in a real profession and buy a second home in the Keys with your own boat to dive with. Another thing to remember is : see all those nice ladies in the keys?
well, they all live someplace else and don't hang with guys that don't have the flo.

All above good advice. DM's start around $15.00/hr with Instructors receiving about $20.00. Suffice it to say you will need some roommates to make it work. While not exactly Boca Raton (yet) this is the Keys where the cost of living is exponentially higher than just about everywhere.

It gets worse, there are many days when we are weathered out and have to tell you (reluctantly) to stay home. Just hard economics, the Shop Ops also have the high expenses in rent, boat payments, insurance and a hundred other things. Simply stated they can't pay you w/o warm bodies on boats. So, don't count on the proverbial 40 hr week. More like 35 on the average.

Then again if this is what you want to do, go for it, caveats and all.

my neighbor and occasional dive buddy went through the program at rainbow reef back when. Then he got signed on as divemaster for Norwegian Cruise Lines on their private cay in the bahamas. He did not make much but he dove a lot and had a lot of fun for a couple years. So, take a look around and see what options are out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom