Regulator Cleaning - are ultrasonic cleaners any good ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps Jim was exaggerating the amount of salt in a rinse tank, but can we agree that ANY salt in the first stage will "Make it worse"?

C'mon. Gives us a little bro hug. Just a little one. C'mon.

Sure, salt water drying in the first stage or second stage is bad. Soaking in a fresh water rinse tank, even one that is heavily used by other divers, will definitely dilute salt water on a reg that has just been in the ocean. Why are we arguing about this? The dustcap/seat saver issue is something different that we've also argued about, hehe

:hugs:

There's your hug!

Maybe we'll be able to get together on a spree trip, I would really like that.

As would I

There has been some talk of driving to S florida from TX to go on one of your trips, those of us who are gainfully employed couldn't quite work the scheduling for this spring break, but we'll keep trying.

I would not put an assembled reg into an ultrasonic. I have seen Rolex watchmakers use ultrasonics to clean watches, and they're fully disassembled. I have seen gunsmiths use ultrasonics to clean guns,and they're fully disassembled. Speaking to the watchmakers, they told me that putting a watch into an ultrasonic assembled can wreck the watch. So I wouldn't personally put my reg into an ultrasonic without it being disassembled

Speaking to the watchmakers, they told me that putting a watch into an ultrasonic assembled can wreck the watch. So I wouldn't personally put my reg into an ultrasonic without it being disassembled

There are a few negative reviews of ultrasonic cleaners on Amazon.com from people that placed assembled watches into the unit only to have the watches stop working.

I agree with the others that an assembled regulator should never be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner. The cavitation action of the cleaner will probably damage the soft parts of the regulator. As others have mentioned a through rinsing/soaking after a dive should be sufficient to keep your regulators clean and trouble free.

There are a few negative reviews of ultrasonic cleaners on Amazon.com from people that placed assembled watches into the unit only to have the watches stop working.

I agree with the others that an assembled regulator should never be placed in an ultrasonic cleaner. The cavitation action of the cleaner will probably damage the soft parts of the regulator. As others have mentioned a through rinsing/soaking after a dive should be sufficient to keep your regulators clean and trouble free.
don't take that as being the fault of the cleaner. It's the dim bulb that put it in there. It sens ultrasonic waves into the item. If the item isn't solid, it will move around millions of times. it's only natural that tiny gears will shift. They clean small items with caked on gunk fantastically. I just wouldn't put moving parts in it. They WILL move around. And in angles they were not designed to, which is where the problems are caused. I intend to purchase an ultrasonic to clean my regs once disassembled. But would never put an assembled one in. However, I do not believe it would damage soft parts. Not the ultrasonic waves at least. Hash detergents possibly used in the ultrasonic would be more damaging IMO

Plus all the lubricant that'll go away. Therefore, if you're gonna service the gear, by all mean, nuke it; if not then a good rinse is all that's required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom