Hoses and Mouthpieces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

52brandon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
At DGX, they have Miflex brand as well as a generic braided flex hose. They both are tested to the same pressures, and I would imagine DGX wouldn't carry an inferior product given their customer base. Anybody have any experience with the generic ones? At half the price, they're definitely an attractive option. But if they are of equivalent quality to the Miflex, why would they even bother to carry the Miflex?

Another question about hoses. I plan to run my hose under my arm and have been considering a swivel or 90* joint. will that little rubber joint cover still fit over that? Or will it just be exposed? Not a huge deal. Just a cosmetic question, as the connection obviously looks better with the cover over it

And with mouthpieces... Seacure has like 5 different sizes and all other brands do not. Is that because they can all just be ziptied on? Or do some replacement mouthpieces not work on some regs? And on the topic of Seacure, does a B1 count as "old" Atomic?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Last edited:
I've used all the different brand 'Flex' hoses w/o problems.....Waited 'til the HP flex hoses where better made but use those now too.....Not sure about what you mean on your second "Q"........Seacure; DGX's site will tell you which mouth piece fits which brand reg....You should always use Ty-wraps....There is one called 'low profile' that works well......It has a 'belt buckle' style lock.....You can get them on the internet.....

I've used all the different brand 'Flex' hoses w/o problems.....Waited 'til the HP flex hoses where better made but use those now too.....Not sure about what you mean on your second "Q"........Seacure; DGX's site will tell you which mouth piece fits which brand reg....You should always use Ty-wraps....There is one called 'low profile' that works well......It has a 'belt buckle' style lock.....You can get them on the internet.....
thanks for the clarifications. On the mouthpieces, I was really wondering if all the brands that don't have multiple size options fit all different brand regs since they don't have multiple sizes like the seacure. As far as my second question. I mean this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eheh7nzyoddflfp/showpart.jpg
I was wondering if there's a part like that for regs that have an angled connector. That sleeve wouldn't work at a 90* angle. It's far from a big deal. Just curious

The generic braided hoses work just fine. I've been using a set (low pressure only) for a few years with no complaints. I too have the hose routed under my arm with a 90 degree fitting on my second stage.

Hose boots hold moisture (salt water) on the area they are supposed to protect-bad idea. Leave the boot off your fittings or you'll find them corroded sooner.

SeaCure has a forum right here on SB- you may want to ask your mouthpiece question there: SeaCure or check their web site http://seacure1.com/regulato.htm

At DGX, they have Miflex brand as well as a generic braided flex hose. They both are tested to the same pressures, and I would imagine DGX wouldn't carry an inferior product given their customer base. Anybody have any experience with the generic ones? At half the price, they're definitely an attractive option. But if they are of equivalent quality to the Miflex, why would they even bother to carry the Miflex?

Another question about hoses. I plan to run my hose under my arm and have been considering a swivel or 90* joint. will that little rubber joint cover still fit over that? Or will it just be exposed? Not a huge deal. Just a cosmetic question, as the connection obviously looks better with the cover over it

And with mouthpieces... Seacure has like 5 different sizes and all other brands do not. Is that because they can all just be ziptied on? Or do some replacement mouthpieces not work on some regs? And on the topic of Seacure, does a B1 count as "old" Atomic?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Not quite sure on the generic braided brand hoses. I've used Miflex for a couple years now and have been very happy with them.

Interesting. I have not heard of anyone preferring to route their hose underneath the arm. Do you find it more comfortable? I have a 90 degree joint on my Apeks sidemount set, I think that would be better suited for what you want.

Seacure has many different sized mouthpieces because different sized regulators have different sized apertures at the base of the of the mouthpiece. I had to get a Type3 for my rebreather because it has a lot larger of an aperture than standard regulators. A B1 is an older model but the way to tell is look up the manufacture date. pre-2005 will require a Type1. But the best way to tell for certain though is to measure. :D

Here is the size chart, aloha!
SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece | Regulator Size Chart for SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece

Interesting. I have not heard of anyone preferring to route their hose underneath the arm. Do you find it more comfortable? I have a 90 degree joint on my Apeks sidemount set, I think that would be better suited for what you want.
I have an AIR2 for my inflator/backup reg. I've been told that a 40" routed under-arm is the best option for the hose due to the fact I would be handing it off in an OOA situation and using the AIR2 myself. That way it's not extra hose hanging off to potentially snag. That is the reason I plan to route under-arm

as for the boot. I would be removing it to clean and care for my reg. I'm really meticulous when it comes to cleaning my gear. But if I'm going to be using a 90* joint, it makes that point irrelevant anyways I guess

I have 90 degree adapters for second stages on one of my SM rigs. I also have a 70 in stock. They do work well when they are called for. And with what you plan to do is would be better for routing. As for hose protectors and boots. Not one of my dozen regs have them. I have cut more than a few off of regs I bought and tossed em. Not necessary and as a tech I see too many arrive suffering from just what couv said. IF you are meticulous and pull them back and really rinse under em ok. But when diving salt water it only takes a couple times of not doing that or if in fresh water with a lot of sediment to junk them up.

I have an AIR2 for my inflator/backup reg. I've been told that a 40" routed under-arm is the best option for the hose due to the fact I would be handing it off in an OOA situation and using the AIR2 myself. That way it's not extra hose hanging off to potentially snag. That is the reason I plan to route under-arm

I would suggest you consider a 5ft hose rather than a 40" under the arm. The 5ft hose routs under your arm as well, then across your chest and around your head. It's excellent for air sharing and very comfortable for diving. It's a modified hogarthian set up; those guys really got this one right. You don't use an elbow on the 2nd stage for this arrangement.

I totally agree on the hose protector issue, they do more harm than good.

Not quite sure on the generic braided brand hoses. I've used Miflex for a couple years now and have been very happy with them.

Seacure has many different sized mouthpieces because different sized regulators have different sized apertures at the base of the of the mouthpiece. I had to get a Type3 for my rebreather because it has a lot larger of an aperture than standard regulators. A B1 is an older model but the way to tell is look up the manufacture date. pre-2005 will require a Type1. But the best way to tell for certain though is to measure. :D

Here is the size chart, aloha!
SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece | Regulator Size Chart for SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece

Hi Tyler,

Some folks prefer the 40" under the arm routing (with a 90 degree fitting at the 2nd stage) because there is less mouth "pull" with that routing, compared to conventional recreational hose routing. I dove that configuration for quite awhile.

I've experimented with various hose lengths over the years for single tank, recreational diving, and have finally settled on a semi-Hogarthian setup, with a 6' primary.

5' was almost perfect for me, but was always just a hair too short and resulted in a little "pull" if I rotated my head to the left.... 6' is nirvana. The first time I dove this configuration I had the sensation that I had forgotten to attach a hose to my 2nd stage... there was zero hose pull in any direction I rotated my head.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom