Basic scuba diving rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, if you needed scubaboard, you really WERE in bad shape. Or are. I'm not sure which is worse.... needing to learn from it or actually learning from it.

Jokes aside, that brings up the point of continuous learning and proper mentoring....not to mention approaching your limits cautiously.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I have been doing this for a long time but I am still always learning more. A lot of that recent learning has been done here. When you get to the point that you are sure you know it all that is when you are at the greatest risk. Many of the people I have talked to here only see things one way, the way they were trained and while that may be correct there are usually a number of other ways to do these same things. Take off the blinders, listen a little more then you talk and you will likely learn far more then you currently know. Then all you need to do is go out and put it to use.

Having spent more time with firearms than with SCUBA (but having been involved with both for more than 30 years), I can say that firearms are a lot safer. Therefore the rules are a lot simpler. Getting people to obey the rules is not simpler, but the rules themselves are simpler. When you turn to diving, it gets a lot more complex.

So a rule like "Keep everything you need for the dive in good condition" is completely correct, but it encompasses so much that it can't function like a top ten rule. I think that the rules have to be concrete and specific (like "treat all guns as if they were loaded").

So rule # 1 (in my list) would be:

Any one can call a dive for any reason with no repercussions.

Which means, no, there is no discussion as to why the dive was called unless the person who called the dive initiates it. Otherwise "Hey, why did you call the dive" could perhaps discourage calling the dive if the inquirer comes across as angry when he doesn't realize it.

That leads to rule # 2 (in my list):

Don't dive with anyone who you are not comfortable with (as to either attitude or ability).

So if your dive buddy keeps calling dives for no apparent good reason (or for a good reason but attributable to a lack of preparation or attention), find a different buddy. Or if your dive buddy likes to take off on his own and you want him close to you, don't dive with him. This is why I don't like to buddy up with strangers when resort diving. I dive with an instructor/divemaster if I can even if it costs extra. When I consider the cost of travel (airfare, lodging, and meal) for a resort location, the expense is inconsequential.

That's as far as I've gotten on your top ten. Good post, and I hope it leads to more contributions.

For me they are these:

1) Never dive beyond my comfort zone. I'm okay pushing the boundaries of my experience and training, a little at a time. If at any point I'm not comfortable with the dive, though, it's over. Before or during.

2) Don't be stupid. (This is sometimes more difficult for me than other times) This is actually very similar to 1 but pertains more to making poor choices than my actual comfort. For example, ignoring a single gear issue might be acceptable for a given dive whereas ignoring 2 gear issues wouldn't be. This is my reminder to myself not to ignore the cumulative effects of multiple things wrong or multiple issues.

3) Use your head. When in doubt you are/I am smart enough to solve any problem in a rec diving situation. Remember to stop, think, and take action, in that order. Breath (if you can) and don't panic. Also recognize the signs of panic onset. Deal with the panic before it starts.

4) Don't over-reach. Again, similar to number one but more akin to the "don't get off the couch after a year and try the Oriskany" type of thing. Keep a realistic mindset of what you can do and always adjust it based on your most recent experiences.

5) This should actually be number 1. Have fun and don't die.

How about do not get in the water without the knowledge and ability to save yourself or a buddy.
And never accept minimums as good enough.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

i must respectfully disagree.

if you never accept the mi imum as good enough, it is not a minimum. How about: "Strive to exceed the minimum."

For BASIC scuba I would think that 4 6 8 9 10 is all that applies. Not that there should not be more. #3 should be modfied to say Avoid diving situations that you are not skilled/trained for. Perhaps another could be ,,,,,Always know what is in the gas you are breathing. Know and dive within your limits would be another. Surely it could be boiled down to 10 rules.

The cave ans other envioment specific clauses will come on thier own in time.

Ok i'll bite and this is from a minnow in the land of giants :). My training is PADI Rescue diver and I have had to date 41 certified dives. So to a level, training yes, experience not even close enough to be more than scraping the safety requirements.

My check list is minimal.

1. Make sure everything works
2. Triple check everything works.
3. Check compass so I can find my way back if get separated from the group.

Buddies pfft. Other than my LDS where I actually have reliable buddies I can trust I have been left alone 8 times now by unknown renta buddies. One was even a DM who was more interested showing a photographer all the cool places. At the time my thoughts went along the line of arsehole. This quickly changed to joy as I could go off and explore what I wanted to plus a bit of nervousness as I didn't have backup air which was my only real concern. This issue is being rectified shortly.

Not diving out of my training is another one which is a lot of a skirt around. You don't get a lot of training doing the OW, AOW and rescue certs. Hey I can clear my mask awesomely and if someone is in trouble I hope I will remember what to do when that Bull shark is swimming towards me other then stab the bastard next to me and swim fast :). I guess what I am saying is training and experience go hand in hand so for me I am still in training whilst getting the experience and am often doing things to the level or just a bit past my limited training and experience if that makes sense.

How is this list

1. Anyone can end any dive at any time for any reason
2. Use only safe, quality, proven equipment
3. Always know what you are breathing
4. Know and respect your personal and group limitations, training and abilities
NOthing is worth dying for
5. Training makes you informed Practice makes you good
Every dive is a practice /learning opportunity
6. Only dive with necessary equipment and know how to use it
7. Always have a backup (plan, equipment,gas ect.)
8. Take time to do it right the first time, there may not be a socond chance
9 . Respect your environment. it is unforgiving powerful and loaded with surprise
10 Though the RESPONSIBILITY of your dive may be shared by others
You and only you are ultimately ACCOUNTABLE for it.

How is this list

1. Anyone can end any dive at any time for any reason
2. Use only safe, quality, proven equipment
3. Always know what you are breathing
4. Know and respect your personal and group limitations, training and abilities
NOthing is worth dying for
5. Training makes you informed Practice makes you good
Every dive is a practice /learning opportunity
6. Only dive with necessary equipment and know how to use it
7. Always have a backup (plan, equipment,gas ect.)
8. Take time to do it right the first time, there may not be a socond chance
9 . Respect your environment. it is unforgiving powerful and loaded with surprise
10 Though the RESPONSIBILITY of your dive may be shared by others
You and only you are ultimately ACCOUNTABLE for it.

Looks good to me. The Scubaboard hounds will be at your heels soon however.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Buddies pfft. Other than my LDS where I actually have reliable buddies I can trust I have been left alone 8 times now by unknown renta buddies. One was even a DM who was more interested showing a photographer all the cool places. At the time my thoughts went along the line of arsehole. This quickly changed to joy as I could go off and explore what I wanted to plus a bit of nervousness as I didn't have backup air which was my only real concern. This issue is being rectified shortly.

Okay, not to hijack the thread too much but this to me says as much about you as your buddies. If you've been separated from buddies 8 times in only 41 dives, it's not just your buddies. I've got about 35 dives all but 8 with instabuddies. I've never once been separated from or lost by a buddy. It takes two to tango and if buddy separation is a "non-option" for you, then you shouldn't allow it to happen. You either aren't checking in with your buddy often enough or you don't actually care.

Now, if you don't care, I'm not judging that. I think everyone has a right to dive their own way. As long as you're not the one leaving a buddy stranded who expects you to be there, I have no beef with buddy separation and "same ocean diving" but let's not pretend that buddy separations, especially when they're that common, aren't part of a two-person problem.

EDIT: It occurred to me that this may just be an expectation problem as well. If you don't have a good discussion with your insta-buddy how are either of you to know what is expected of the other and of the dive as a whole?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom