a couple of sms 50 bungee questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that irks me about the scuba community... How some people want to hold information hostage. "You want to know somethin? pay me."

Some of you people really have forgotten, or sadly never knew, the real reason diving kicks ass. It's right in front of you and you cannot see it.

Sad.

Actually I do see the beauty of diving right in front of me…and its getting destroyed by all these self educated people, with their bad buoyancy and trim and lack of streamlining, bouncing off the reef, standing on it to get a picture, breaking things off the wreck, destroying formations in caves…yep, I've seen the beauty of diving.

I'm curious though Swampy, how many volunteer hours did you put in at work last week? If you're expecting others to work for free, I hope that you're willing to do the same.

If you don't want to answer the question then don't answer the question...but in the process of not answering the question do us a favor and spare us the self righteous scuba God insults as well....

Okay. But I think we got our answer as to who has the bad buoyancy and trim.

I don't...after over 25 years of diving, there's nothing wrong with my buoyancy or my trim....

One thing that irks me about the scuba community... How some people want to hold information hostage. "You want to know somethin? pay me."

Yeah... I mean... how often do you see THAT in life? Someone works hard for decades to establish rare expertise, that others crave...then wants to make a "living" from it... it's just sick.

We (diving instructors) should take a lesson from all those people who study law and then provide their knowledge for free, those people who teach children in schools for free, the driving-ed tutors and testers who volunteer their time freely to help people learn to drive.... those people who study medicine for years and then work for nothing, giving free medical care to everyone... the ski instructors, the golf pros, the football coaches, the business consultants...

What a world we live in when these ruthless scuba 'professionals' would want to feed their greedy children at the expense of these well-paid, comfortable living diving noobies who shouldn't expect to pay a cent for their training...

---------- Post added January 14th, 2014 at 01:06 AM ----------

I don't...after over 25 years of diving, there's nothing wrong with my buoyancy or my trim....

That's always a matter of perspective. It depends whether you're looking forwards or backwards.

I guess you're just gonna have take my word for it.....and if there was a problem with my trim or my buoyancy, which there isn't, I reckon I'd just have to lay that at the feet of my dive instructors over the last 25 years.....

My OW training took place over 20 years ago...I probably performed this skill but don't really recall...I asked some fellow divers tonight if they were required to perform this skill in their OW class and their answer was no.....the training I've taken in the last 5 years did not include this skill....the SDI Dive Master Card I let expire several years ago and I've never actually performed duties as a Dive Master and to be honest I've always felt that training was pretty weak in my particular case....y

It has always been a requirement for PADI, and it is still a requirement for all agencies that are part of the RSTC. SDI is part of the RSTC.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2014 at 10:57 AM ----------

He disconnected his inflator hose under water. Does anyone know if that could cause problems with the inflator hose? I put Cave Adventures old school loop bungees on my SMS 50...big improvement IMO......

I dived with someone who did the same thing. It was not a BIG improvement--it was a HUGE improvement.

I have dived both the SMS 50 in its pure form and a prototype SMS 75 with what Cave Adventurers refers to as its "old school design." The last I heard, Hollis had not come to a final decision on certain key design elements for the SMS 75. I wrote a comparison of the two designs for Hollis in the hope that they will settle on certain design features, and my comparison of the bungee systems was an emphasis. Nick Hollis thanked me for it, so I assume he read it--not that I have any pull in the world of side mount diving.

I don't doubt that its a requirement but, in my case, it never happened.....my OW certs,both Basic and Advanced, are with SSI, not PADI, which occurred in 1993,...the only certs I have with PADI are sidemount and TEC 40 in sidemount....it didn't happen during any of these classes that I can recall....spare me the PADI jokes....

---------- Post added January 13th, 2014 at 10:17 AM ----------

I did Dive Master Training through YMCA years ago....I'll be the first to admit the training sucked to the degree that I did not feel good about holding the card so I let it expire. The SDI card was an agency transfer from YMCA that was literally just given to me so I've never actually done any SDI Dive Master Training. As I've stated, I let the SDI card expire because I didn't feel qualified to hold it in the end....

I don't doubt that its a requirement but, in my case, it never happened.....my OW certs,both Basic and Advanced, are with SSI, not PADI, which occurred in 1993

It has always been a requirement. It is part of the RSTC standards. What frightens me is you have all this experience. But yet you don't know that detaching a quick disconnect valve under water won't cause any issues. What else do you not understand about diving and its equipment?

Trust me, there's no reason to be frightened....I've completed about 50 solo dives in both sidemount and backmount with stage to include light deco within the requirements of PADI Tec 40 and I'm still here.....I am anal about redundancy and staying within the boundries of my cert level (other than maybe the solo w/deco part...nobody's perfect and yes, I am SDI Solo certified).....out of due diligence I will flesh out my reason for asking the question in the first place...I was recently reading a write up by this rebreather diver who had just tried sidemount....he, like me, was primarily a shore diver and, as part of his write up, stated he would stick with his rebreather over sidemount because it was easier for him to gear up, enter and exit....he stated that disconnecting his inflator hose under water, upon exit, which would make in his words exits easier in sidemount was not something he wanted to do because it would be bad for equipment...this didn't sound right to me but I thought maybe he knows something I don't because, as I've stated already, myself, my brother and my brother-in-law, the latter two having a different instructor then myself, were never required to do this during our open water training. I thought maybe it was just me who couldn't recall so I asked them and they said they hadn't done it either. So, I decided before I start disconnecting my inflator hose under water, maybe I better confirm with an instructor on this board that there is not an issue. Big mistake. I should have talked to my Tec Instructor in Key Largo...you can keep stating all freakin' day long that its a requirement but that won't change the fact that there are at least three of us here that were never required to do it in a class. If that doesn't satisfy ya, I'll be on Bonaire 3 - 10 May all by lonesome doing solo sidemount dives (some deco...so sue me) one after another day in and day out for the sole purpose of working on skills I was taught in my Side Mount Tec 40 class I preparation for a cavern class and Tec 45....I do these skills trips at least twice a year on Bonaire which is something I'm sure you don't believe so I challenge you to show up and assess for yourself instead of over the internet my knowledge, trim and buoyancy skills...I'm always open to input from the so called experts....I'll be at the Belmar all week....just ask the girls at the office for Marcus or the Colonel (yep, I'm a retired military officer with 38 years service)...they will know where to find me....

Back
Top Bottom