Are the solo diver certifications any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a solo card, and yet many ops have no problem with me diving solo. Other ops only allow solo diving with a card. And still others don't allow it whether you have a card or not. It's a company call ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't have a solo card, and yet many ops have no problem with me diving solo. Other ops only allow solo diving with a card. And still others don't allow it whether you have a card or not. It's a company call ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Or in some areas local laws may prohibit solo diving..

Hi Captain Sinbad
This thread definitely sparked my interest as I am currently considering doing my rescue but now perhaps the self reliant diver is also an option. Can't find any information on PADIs own site about this course if its still been taught. I did find this article.
PADI goes solo - Divernet

Hi Captain Sinbad
This thread definitely sparked my interest as I am currently considering doing my rescue but now perhaps the self reliant diver is also an option. Can't find any information on PADIs own site about this course if its still been taught. I did find this article.
PADI goes solo - Divernet

If you search for PADI SOLO DIVING you may not find much but if you search for PADI Self Reliant Diver then there should be some material. I would just call the local PADI shop and ask them.

i teach both courses , the padi program is more of self reliant (as name suggests ) the tdi is more of a solo diver course (at least the way i teach it ) that's not to say that you totally disregard the buddy system , i see this as a technical stepping stone course ........

I recently booked into the solo course. I'd been toying with the idea for some time and finally got pushed when a buddy bailed on a dive charter. Do you really need to do a solo course? Do you really need to do any of the specialty courses? Judging by the disputes, misinformation and confusion you regularly see on this forum my response would be yes.

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 05:43 PM ----------

i teach both courses , the padi program is more of self reliant (as name suggests ) the tdi is more of a solo diver course (at least the way i teach it ) that's not to say that you totally disregard the buddy system , i see this as a technical stepping stone course ........

Which do you think provides the better course framework for solo diving?

It really depends on the instructor. The TDI solo course is actually an SDI course and you get an SDI card. My SDI Solo course started out as a formality as I had one TDI Course director tell me at the time that I should be teaching it rather than taking it. But I have to say that taking it with an instructor that has been diving caves since the early 70's opened my eyes to a few new tricks that I personally did not think of when diving solo prior to it. Little stuff like always having a mirror to do your bubble/buddy check. How else would you do it? Shooting an SMB maskless and neutral in midwater and making a controlled ascent on that line using your the way your body reacts to judge ascent speed. The different approach to planning that you rarely see the average recreational OW diver doing. Even some basic gear repair was part of the class as well as gas planning.

There are operators that will accept the SDI Solo card, but not the PADI Self-Reliant Diver card. Perhaps because the latter never mentions the word solo....?

So Self Reliant diver certification is not meant to train you to dive by yourself?

Yes, self reliant is solo, the 3rd dive is done as a solo dive , provided the instructor approves of your redundant equipment.

Or in some areas local laws may prohibit solo diving..

Or insurance companies, 1 quarry I dive at allows solo with certification, and another...no solo diving, stated reason insurance doesn't allow it.

I was wondering, do dive boats need this to let people dive solo? Or do they let you dive solo anyways if you show up with a pony bottle?

This must be a regional thing since there must be somewhere between few an none local boats who care if you dive solo with or without a pony bottle. Make them late getting back for diner and you'll catch hell for that however. Anyone asking for any card really is the exception. So that means you take classes if they have good content and not for the card which seems like a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom