Regulator Servicing - Learn Through Books or Taking a Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 04:29 PM ---------
There is an old story in the machine shop circles when it comes to knowing things. The way it goes is something like this. A large manufacturer had a multimillion dollar machine go down. No one in the plant could fix it. The company did not want to send someone to get the proper training to do it because it would have cost them a couple grand. So they had to call in an "Expert" from the machine mfg. He walked around the machine, took a few measurements, looked at the way it was set up, and asked the operator a few questions. He then took a piece of chalk out of his pocket, drew an x, and borrowed a 3 lb sledge and hit it. Right on the x. And the machine immediately started running like brand new. The "Expert" then handed the owner a bill for three thousand and four dollars. Three grand to hit the damn machine the owner asked. No said the expert. Four dollars to hit it. Three thousand to know where. Should have gotten the training huh?

Jim,
I actually had this happen with an early Reece buttonhole machine and a smaller hammer. The figures way back then were $1 to hit it, and $100 for knowing where to hit it. It was an expensive lesson for the time, but from that point forward, I never needed an expert for that particular problem.

Jim,
I actually had this happen with an early Reece buttonhole machine and a smaller hammer. The figures way back then were $1 to hit it, and $100 for knowing where to hit it. It was an expensive lesson for the time, but from that point forward, I never needed an expert for that particular problem.

That one reminds me of the story of the $0.50 low pressure seat and the $75 service charge.

I was reading through the regulator service manual, and it seems I need a pressurized cylinder to perform the checks after service?

For those who don't own one, or live in a place where owning one doesn't make sense (like me) except to be used for reg servicing, are there any viable workarounds?
What about a pony bottle? I just got a little 6cu ft one (with hydro last april) off ebay for $50 shipped.

I was reading through the regulator service manual, and it seems I need a pressurized cylinder to perform the checks after service?

For those who don't own one, or live in a place where owning one doesn't make sense (like me) except to be used for reg servicing, are there any viable workarounds?

You do need to be able to test and "tune" your regulators. To do this you absolutely need a source of scuba-clean air, at scuba pressures. For the DIY'er, this generally means a scuba tank at 3,000 psi or so.

I can't think of a work-around other than renting a tank, or buying a used tank. A pony tank could work, but needs to be of sufficient volume to get through quite a few "cycles" of breathing, purging, tweaking and general "testing" without the tank pressure dropping too low. I will sometimes use my 30 cu ft pony for this, and it is fine to service one reg set. Smaller than this size? Maybe not.

Hope it works out for you!

Best wishes.

The cheapest option will be buying a used tank, probably an AL80 or AL63. You can get a LP72 cheaper (maybe) but you'll only be able to reliably get 2250 PSI fills on it and so you can't test regs at 3000 PSI. For most regs that's not crucial, but if you're shopping for a tank, if you can find an AL80 for a reasonable price, that's the way to go.

Buying a pony could end up costing you more in the long run because you'd be paying for more fills, depending on how often you service regs. Besides, it's kind of handy to have a tank of compressed air around, you can fill tires, etc.

Thanks all. Yes I agree that renting a tank is the way to go.

You need to test on both high pressure 3000 psi and low pressure 300-500 to make sure the reg behaves on both sides. having one tank means you cannot do this test multiple times

Not to sound mean but if you have to look for workarounds for these basic things you might be better off just taking the regs to a shop

If you have a single regulator set, a single tank, rented or owned, will be enough 99.9 % of the time to properly test and tune it.

All initial testing and tuning is done at about 3,000 psi.

Testing at lower pressure is just that: testing. You are looking, in most cases, for an IP that moves out of acceptable range at low tank pressures... my experience, although limited to 9 regulator sets, piston and diaphragm, is that it is pretty rare for a first stage to pass with flying colors after a competent rebuild at 3,000 psi, then fail at low pressure, unless there was already a problem with the regulator.

I would not discourage the OP from doing his own service just because he does not own multiple tanks.

Best wishes.

I donno, things do not align well here :) The OP claims they have two double sets of regs. Im yet to see a diver that dives doubles and does not own any single set :)
And tanks are fairly cheap like it was mentioned you can get an LP72 cheap. Thats not something I would be trying to find a workaround for :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom