Why do you dive so deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether it be shallow or deep, happy safe diving everyone!

(From our shallow-er dives at 190')

Tyler at the 3 minute mark, was that a super rare basebalrus hatterus i spotted?

this video is worthless unless i see a harem of Centropyge nahackyi....yawn :)

The vast majority of my dives are shallow 30' or less shore dives. This is because the closest sites to our house are that depth. As well, my own personal rule is I don't dive solo (much) deeper than 30'--I don't have a regular buddy (or one at all, really), as this involves a 150 mile round trip to places the buddy would want to dive--and at Canadian gas prices.... But, I will dive to the recreational limit or well above it on the odd charter I take. This is based on 1) CAN I find a boat to go out in winter in NW Florida? 2)They'll go where they go and it is usually a planned trip, not my choice and most importantly 3) Do they allow shell collecting, which is my only objective regardless of depth (as pointed out, you should always need a reason to go deep). So that is why I would wind up at 120-130 feet. Given a choice, I would prefer shallower dives with longer NDLs, as the OP suggested.

because there are things to see at deeper depths, there are limits but everyone puts those limits at different depths.

most of my deep dives (beyond recreational limits) are training dives building up to something I want to do, or just to keep skills sharp. Currently I am working on building up to a 350' dive on the Carl Bradley, but probably a couple of years away from making that dive. In the meantime, I will have some fun diving some wrecks shallower than that.

I dive where the wreck is, if that's 20FSW or 120FSW, the reason for the dive determines the depth; common sense determines if the NDLs are pushed. I can gather a good meal of lobsters in <30FSW, there are lobsters deeper but I know places where I can get them shallow so I do. Some divers limit their diving to a certain depth if it works for them that's what they should do.

Spending time in a hostile environment is already pushing the limits, each diver needs to dive the dive they are comfortable with.

I must say I also really enjoy the guilty thrill of that sense of elation when you hit 140 - 150 feet. I have never done drugs (sheltered upbringing), but I assume that must be what smoking pot feels like.

... it's nothing like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Overheard "Anyone can dive REAL deep, once!"

Going deep is normally to see wrecks. Deep wrecks have fewer visitors and are for the most part untouched by man. This past weekend, we dove the deep wrecks of San Clemente Island - Lots of fun for those willing to venture!

USS Hopewell.jpg USS Burns.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom