DM and IDC in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jm967

New
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping to complete my divemaster and IDC training in Mexico at the start of 2014.
I have spoken to many diveschools and researched them as best I can online. I have narrowed it down to those I like the sound of, mainly based on reviews I have read and the responses from the Course Directors, however I still cannot make a decision! Without actually being there or knowing anyone who is, it is very difficult to know which one to go for.
So...
Are there any specific questions that I should ask - I may have missed something out?
Big or small schools - pros and cons?
And finally, any recommendations specific to the area of Playa del Carmen, Cozumel or the surrounding areas?

In order to recommend to me it might be useful to know a bit more about what I am looking for, so: I am not into backpacker culture. I like to immerse myself in local culture, and I speak Spanish so would like the opportunity to practice this. I have been diving in Asia, the best being in Indonesia. I am interested in learning about and supporting local conservation efforts. I would like to be somewhere that is accessible for local amenities, but would prefer to be able to go back to a quiet area at the end of the day. I would also be interested in freedive courses during my stay.

Any advice or recommendations from those who have experiences of DM and IDC in the area would be really helpful.
I look forward to hearing from you!

Hi

I think your best option will be in Cozumel, it fits the description of the place you want to be, and if you are doing fun dives, there is no better place in the peninsula, the most famous course director there is Jorge Marin, he has lots of years of experience and will be able to help you through your IDC

good luck

Back
Top Bottom