Are Canadian Divers Lousy Customers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SED

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Apparently we are, according to the owner of a well-known dive equipment brand.

“On a side note, as a Canadian who has lived in the states since 2000, it saddens me to hears [sic] from so many US dive retailers how they have many bad experiences with Canadian Customers , we have been coming off like entitled, rude jerks. That sucks considering in my generation (Gen X) we prided ourselves on being polite and considerate.”

This harsh condemnation came about during e-mails about replacing gear that failed after a handful of dives. Negotiations started off well enough, but collapsed when the owner abruptly withdrew a reasonable remedy just two minutes (by actual timestamp) after e-mailing his offer.

Why? Because I didn't use “simple polite means of communicating.”

What? You gotta be kidding!

I checked my e-mails. Did I use foul language? Nope. Call him names? Uh-uh. Kick his dog? It was an accident, I swear.

However, he MUST be right in citing wretched Canadian behaviour to justify rescinding his proposal. He’s in touch with so many US dive retailers, plus he’s a Gen-X guy and they hold the patent on politeness and consideration.

Fellow Canadian jerks, this is a learning opportunity. There is an unwritten etiquette protocol we must follow: when dealing with an American dive vendor, remove your toque, bow deeply and go away when you’re told.

Better still, support your local dive shops. They’re used to our rudeness, eh?

PM me if you’d like to know to whom you should apologize for our collective boorish behaviour.

SED,
Could you post the emails in question (abbreviated, edited to protect the innocent, etc.) to let the readers decide?

rjk75:

The e-mails are numerous, including attachments and links that would bog this thread down. Aside from that, there’s dubious value in posting them, as I myself would be highly suspicious that abbreviated, edited information could have been “shaped” to support a self-serving point of view.

The intent is not to have readers take sides, but to show how we’re characterized by someone with significant influence in the dive industry.

I assure you that, except for the [sic] notation, the quote I posted is unedited and in its entirety. It’s the reason I pose the question that’s the point of this thread: "Are Canadian Divers Lousy Customers?”

Speaking as a retailer with MANY Canadian customers I'll say absolutely not!

You all are some of the best customers I have. Patient, understanding, polite, and easy to communicate with. Even when I am dealing with someone clear over in Victoria BC I get good communications whether by email or phone.

It's even better when you make a trip down in person to train or pick up gear. Then I get to meet you and talk face to face.

Love my Canadian customers! Here's to ya! thnaksgiving canda style.jpg

Appreciate the kind thought, Jim. Would like to meet you some day!

SED,
Could you post the emails in question (abbreviated, edited to protect the innocent, etc.) to let the readers decide?

The OP has only 35 posts so look at the more recent ones and you may get an idea to whom he is referring.

Did you offer him Maple Syrup?
I bet you didn't and that could be the reason why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom