Olympus E-M1 Photos from today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shots Phil! Did you try out the focus peaking? I'm wondering how useful it ends up being underwater.

Phil,
Can you explain this setting I would like to try it on my EM-5 . ( I am using the rear AEL/AFL trigger for auto focus and the front shutter release to fire) would that be mode 1 ,2 or 3 in Custom Menu ?

been debating to upgrade my E-M5 to the E-M1 and respective housing. Mostly using the 8-18 Oly or 60mm Macro in the same 4 inch Dome. Will the 4 inch Mini dome still work in the E-M1 housing? What major difference can I expect besides handling and the trigger having moved. How does the vacuum check work with just the BCD hose option? Would not want to carry the pump. thx

On a side note also contemplating to switch systems entirely to Sony A7 or the awaited makeover NEX7 supposed to be A7000..... waiting for Sony's announcement. Reason being I'd like more MP for cropping later in post.

I don't see the appeal of full frame mirror-less systems for UW. The lenses will have to be bigger, the ports will have to be bigger, the overall system with housing is going to be almost as large as a DSLR. At that point, i'd rather go with a Nikon or Canon with their vast lens selection in either full or cropped sensor.

I would also think having the pump would be far easier than having to bring your camera to your LP hose (or vice versa) every time you wanted to draw a vacuum. 4" dome works fine on the EM1, as do all other nauticam mini-ports.

been debating to upgrade my E-M5 to the E-M1 and respective housing. Mostly using the 8-18 Oly or 60mm Macro in the same 4 inch Dome. Will the 4 inch Mini dome still work in the E-M1 housing? What major difference can I expect besides handling and the trigger having moved. How does the vacuum check work with just the BCD hose option? Would not want to carry the pump. thx

On a side note also contemplating to switch systems entirely to Sony A7 or the awaited makeover NEX7 supposed to be A7000..... waiting for Sony's announcement. Reason being I'd like more MP for cropping later in post.

Just got back from New York and a pilgrimage to B&H and had a look at the new Sony FF mirrorless and the EM-1 with lots of hands-on time (got to love B&H!). As for the sony, the body is indeed much smaller than any DSLR body, and the housing should be smaller as well. Actually, the body is not much bigger, if any, that the EM-1, and you get 36mp. Wow.

But, there are no lenses for this system of any use for underwater. I would wait quite a while and see what the lens line-up looks like. The three lenses they had, Zeiss 35 and 50mm, and Sony 28-70 3.5 to 5.6 kit zoom, were not really much smaller than regular 35mm lenses. In fact the Zeiss lenses were as big as regular 35mm lenses but a full stop slower for lenses the same size. I think Sony and Zeiss have some real work to do to realize the size reduction expected from the reduced lens to sensor distance. Thus, even for those lenses, really big 35mm ports would be needed and I don't think you would be seeing any size advantage.

If you absolutely must upgrade right now (really? why?), go with the EM-1. However, I found that camera to be quite a bit larger than the EM-5 and, personally, see no need for an upgrade. But, the Olympus is not my primary system. It is a light travel/UW system. My main camera is a D800. IF the Oly system was my main or sole system, then I would definitely endorse the upgrade as the EM-1's extra size allows for easier control use and the viewfinder is a joy to behold. Also, Nauti kept the housing very compact and even improved things over the EM-5.

So, I won't be upgrading, but anyone shooting Oly as their primary system would get a lot out of the upgrade.

Sony is a nice idea, and pretty good implementation in the body, but has a way to go before I would consider it for land use, let alone UW. Plus, no useful lenses right now.

The B&H rep said Sony has an aggressive lens roadmap for 10 lenses by the end of 2014. If that is true, and since you have the excellent EM-5, there is no need at all to upgrade until the end of the year, when we will see what Sony has as viable options, or, maybe an EM-? with 24mp and better video which will trigger my next upgrade.

Custom setting #3.

Hi Phil,

Bought the new EM1 and Nauti housing for trip to Kri in Raja in March. I noticed you had a suggested menu set up on the EM5 thread. Do you have one for the EM1 that you could spare. Not new to underwater photography (Nikon D7100/Nauticam/Z240's) but new to OLY. Anyone else please throw some thoughts my way as they would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao

Jay

I found that i could use almost all of the listed EM5 settings found on the wetpixel thread. Some changes
- You have an actual AEL/AFL paddle now, so you dont have to map the record button to it.
- I initially mapped the button on the front of the body to focus peaking. I think i'm doing something wrong, because I found that I the highlighted focus areas were impossible to discern. Is there a way to make the white/black focus peaking pop out more? I later changed it to white balance for when I shot video.

I didn't play with the settings lever. But I am thinking of having setting 1 have the control dials control aperture/shutter as normal, then setting 2 being able to control ISO and strobe setting. Though not sure how much easier this will be than using the right/down arrows as in the EM5 recommended.

Again, almost all the recommended EM5 settings apply to the EM1.

Hi Phil,

Bought the new EM1 and Nauti housing for trip to Kri in Raja in March. I noticed you had a suggested menu set up on the EM5 thread. Do you have one for the EM1 that you could spare. Not new to underwater photography (Nikon D7100/Nauticam/Z240's) but new to OLY. Anyone else please throw some thoughts my way as they would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao

Jay

Back
Top Bottom