New diver from north Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agesilaus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My 15 yr old son and I just got certified a month ago. My older son has been certified for several years. So far we've done 6 dives in the springs locally and tried a beach dive down in Venice Beach. That was a flop with turbidity so bad we could barely see a foot. Onshore winds.

We are planning a trip either to the keys or the Sarasota/Venice area during the school's spring break at the end of March. Otherwise we just waiting for the weather to warm up a little before we can do anymore spring dives.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Good Luck & Good Diving.

Welcome.....You'll find the 'viz' ( especially shore diving ) in Venice hit and miss.....Use to be consistently good several years ago, but last few years something changed and it's poor more than good....A shame 'cause it use to be great for fossil hunting........The Keys and springs are your best bet........

If you ever find yourself near Panama City or Morrison, I'd be more than happy to buddy up with you guys.

Actually we may be near Panama City at St Josephs SP in June as we head out on our summer camping trip. I'll PM you if we get up there. We planned to do 3 days there last year but had RV troubles.

BK

Welcome to SB. North FL has fantastic diving within a few hours drive.

Here's the lists of sites I've compiled:
Alexander Springs
Peacock Springs
Troy Springs State Park
Sebastian Inlet State Park
Manatee Springs state park
Madison Blue Springs
Fanning Springs State Park
Blue Grotto
Devils Den
Paradise Springs
Ginnie Springs
Blue Springs
KP Hole
Cypress Spring
Morisson Springs
vortex springs
Meritt's mill pond
Royal Springs
Crystal River

I've dived Ginnie, Manatee & Fanning. We had our OW classes there. And we did Troy as our first post cert dive.

My instructor warned us to stay out of Royal IIRC.

BK

I've dived Ginnie, Manatee & Fanning. We had our OW classes there. And we did Troy as our first post cert dive.

My instructor warned us to stay out of Royal IIRC.

BK
Hm I didn't hear that about royal.
There's very little about royal I could find. Did he/she say why you should stay away from it? I think there's a small cavern, and it's not super glamorous but don't know anything past that.

I was just trying to compile a list of the nearby sites (close to jax anyway). I haven't dove most of those yet.

The guidebook says: "There's not much flow. It's very silty and dangerous, stay out"

Which confirms what my instructor said.

BK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom