Shutter Delay Comparison, Please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnemoneJane

Reaction score
I've owned 4 digital cameras since they first came on the market. My BIGGEST complaint is the delay from the time you press the shutter until the photo is actually taken. :losecool:

As I consider a FIFTH purchase (this time for underwater use), what do you recommend that has a FAST :sprint: response time?

AnemoneJane:
I've owned 4 digital cameras since they first came on the market. My BIGGEST complaint is the delay from the time you press the shutter until the photo is actually taken. :losecool:

As I consider a FIFTH purchase (this time for underwater use), what do you recommend that has a FAST :sprint: response time?

Correct me if I am wrong, but all the prosumer level digital cameras will have a shutter lag to some degree. You will have to step up to a DSLR camera and a high end housing for it. Figure on about $2500. for the basics.
Do your homework on Nikon, Canon and Fuji DSLR's.

Gilligan:
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the prosumer level digital cameras will have a shutter lag to some degree. You will have to step up to a DSLR camera and a high end housing for it. Figure on about $2500. for the basics.
Do your homework on Nikon, Canon and Fuji DSLR's.

Hi, Gilligan...I'm not ready to correct anyone regarding underwater photography (yet :eyebrow: ).
Thanks for your advice: I'll check it out on the DSLRs for the future.

I guess I should have been more specific in my question. If I DON'T want to buy a DSLR yet, is there a shutter-speed advantage between the major, more affordable brands of cameras (Canon, Oly, etc.) for a cost of ~$800-$1200 for a camera/housing?

id like to know this as well

the Oly C765 and Power Shot S410 i checked out at Circuit City last week seemed seemed alot faster than my Sony DSC-P9 and my friends Oly C740 he brought in yesterday.

this may have been due to the test conditions. the store is well lit and i beleive autofocus works alot better with more lighting.

im seriously considering doing the Oly c5050 setup. autofocus time is a concern but with a wide angle lens you do have more room to play with trying to grab a fast moving fish.

AnemoneJane:

The Olympus 5060 has reduced the shutter delay significantly, but an SLR is your BEST option!

i find the canon s60 quite "usable" with regards to shutter lag.

one thing you can do is try to prefocus and then the lag will be shorter.
i've been using the camera above water so far but i've already ordered the canon housing and wait patiently for the delivery.

obviously the DSLR is the way to go but, for the price, this camera seems a nice bet.
and it comes with an UW white balance mode (i think it's the first but i could be very wrong...)

Do a search with Google on this.

Try Steves Digital Camera Reviews
Or dpreview.com

You will find actual speed tests run and can compare this way. There is no one particular brand that is fastest, it depends on the camera. My A70 I find very fast - I hardly ever miss a shot if I shoot manual. I think from memory with a half press it has a lag of about .11 seconds. Which I think is considered pretty good, about 0.3 is average.

By half pressing the shutter button will save you a lot of time. Also shoot manual, the camera is no longer calculating exposure.

The C5060 is much improved over other digitals I've used. The reviews I've read and my new C5060 confirm this. SLR's are still better, but the gap is closing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom