MAKO Spearguns AR15 American Gun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Dear Spearos,

I am very grateful to announce the release of the new MAKO Spearguns AR15 American in the “Enclosed Track Version” and the “Open Track Version”, both of which were designed by Jeff DeRocher (aka Tin Man) and Chad Morris (aka Griswold). I am also grateful to announce the release of the new MAKO Spearguns American Reverse Trigger Mechanism, also designed by Tin Man and produced by MAKO Spearguns.

The new MAKO Spearguns American Reverse Trigger Mechanism is made for the new AR15 American Guns as well as the the Do It Yourself and Custom Gun Builders.

Before I get into the gun and the mech, I want to take a moment to say what an honor it is to again, represent Chad’s and Tin Man’s most recent designs. I am grateful for the opportunity.

And I take, seriously, the responsibility to manufacture, sell and service these products in the professional manner that is expected of me.

I also want to thank the guys, listed below, who have been testing the new mech/gun over the past 6 to 8 months. All of these guys are highly respected in the field of custom gun building / spearfishing. Their knowledge of trigger mechanisms, guns and overall spearfishing is unprecedented. I thank them all for their input to make this new gun and trigger mechanism a success.

Bubba Blackwell (Blacktip Custom Spearguns): Custom Gun Builder, Expert Spearo

Hau (a.k.a. Greg Reisinger): Expert Spearo

Wood Guy: Custom Gun Builder, Speargun Designer, Speargun Parts Designer, Engineer

John Dornelus: Expert Freediver/ Spearo, Freedive Instructor, Writer HSD Magazine

Johnathan Latta: Expert Freediver/Spearo, Freedive Instructor, Competitive Deep Freediver

Joe Solomon: Expert Freediver/Spearo, Custom Gun Builder, Engineer

Randy Webb: Expert Spearo and Custom Gun Builder

Jason Tiller (Impaler Custom Spearguns): Expert Freediver/Spearo, Commercial Spearfisherman, Custom Gun Builder

I also want to thank world famous Speargun Expert, “Kitto” for testing our mechs. Thanks Kitto!

Now, on to the gun….. We call it: The MAKO Spearguns AR15 American (Enclosed Track and Open Track).

maetr_sml.jpg

The AR15 represents the handle, using the popular A2 assault weapons grip found on most assault rifles. This handle is incredibly comfortable and positioned to absorb recoil and provide perfect shot alignment. It is also completely removable which means you can travel abroad with a simple PVC tube.

ar15-speargun-open-track-handle.png

The American refers to the MAKO Spearguns American Reverse Trigger Mechanism (designed by Tin Man), which means this thing shoots American Cut Shafts which are available everywhere. It features an interchangeable “Lever Style” line release that can accept single or double wraps of 300lb and 400lb mono. It was independently tested by Kitto to over 1,750 lbs. which possibly makes this the strongest trigger mechanism of any railgun ever built.

mstm_sml.jpg

ar15-speargun-open-track-side-lever.png

“Enclosed Track Version” and the “Open Track Version”

Available with an enclosed track or open track. The enclosed track features a full length track made of a super smooth, High Density Polyethylene Track secured to the barrel using two integrated rails. The open track features a full length integrated rail running the full length of the barrel.

ar15-speargun-enclosed-track-barrel-end.png

ar15-speargun-open-track-barrel-end.png

The MAKO Spearguns AR15 American gun also includes:

• Open muzzle with twin 16mm bands or triple 14mm bands
• South African 7.5mm Sharkfin Tab Spear
• South African Soft Dyneema Wishbones
• South African Shock Cord
• Hand Tied Bands using Primeline Latex Tubing
• 300lb or 400lb mono
• swivel clip

Please check out the new MAKO Spearguns AR15 American guns at: MAKO Spearguns and Spearfishing Gear

Now, onto the new MAKO Spearguns American Reverse Trigger Mechanism:

aetr-mechanism.png

The new MAKO Spearguns American Reverse Trigger Mechanism is coming soon to the Custom Gun Builders and the “Do It Yourself” guys.
It has some unique features that will make this reverse trigger mechanism quite attractive for your next build.

Features include:

• Easily Interchangeable line release with different lengths available for any build.
• Trigger Lever tension derived from torsion spring for smooth transition.
• Uniquely constructed for both standard trigger and push rod configurations.
• All Stainless Steel Chassis 3” long x 1” tall by ½” wide
• All Stainless Steel Components
• Independently tested by Kitto to 1,750 lbs.

Price: $55.95 includes your choice of long or short line release lever

In closing, I want to thank our customers who have helped us grow since launching 4 years ago.

Since then, we have:

• Partnered with Yamamoto Neoprene of Japan to make Mako Speaguns Wetsuits some of the finest wetsuits available.
• Partnered with a premier fin and foot pocket manufacturing company to make some of the best fins available (MAKO Spearguns Competition Freediver Fins).
• Released the completely up armored, MAKO Spearguns Predator 2G Railgun (Second Generation).
• Contracted with one of Italy’s finest knife makers to make the MAKO Spearguns Kona Kill Knife
• Contracted with a, highly respected mask factory to produce the new MAKO Spearguns Mini Mask.
• Released the MAKO Spearguns South African Shark Fin Tab Spears, Slip Tips and Reels.
• Completely upgraded, the new MAKO Spearguns Gear Bags.
• Released the Mako Spearguns Rapid On/Off Go Pro Speargun Camera Mounting Bracket.
• Partnered with Tin Man to produce the MAKO Spearguns Tin Man Pinch Weights.
• Partnered with Tin Man to produce the MAKO Spearguns AR15 Speargun Handle for the DIY guys.

And now, with the release of the new MAKO Spearguns AR15 American Spearguns designed by Tin Man and Griswold, we now have an even broader line of high quality spearguns.

Thanks Guys!

Dive safe,

Dano

Attachments

• maetr_sml.jpg
    maetr_sml.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 527
  • mstm_sml.jpg
    mstm_sml.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 315
  • ar15-speargun-open-track-handle.png
    44 KB · Views: 706
  • ar15-speargun-open-track-side-lever.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,287
  • ar15-speargun-enclosed-track-barrel-end.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 904
  • ar15-speargun-open-track-barrel-end.png
    36 KB · Views: 391
  • aetr-mechanism.png
    aetr-mechanism.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 514
  • ar15-speargun-enclosed-track-barrel-end.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 400
  • ar15-speargun-open-track-side-lever.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 492
  • mstm_sml.jpg
    mstm_sml.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 297
  • ar15-speargun-open-track-handle.png
    44 KB · Views: 406
  • maetr_sml.jpg
    maetr_sml.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 316
  • ar15-speargun-open-track-barrel-end.png
    36 KB · Views: 442
  • aetr-mechanism.png
    aetr-mechanism.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 759
Dano,
Congrats! You have built a great business based on quality and great customer service! I am a customer forever!

Dano,
Congrats! You have built a great business based on quality and great customer service! I am a customer forever!

Thanks VERY much Ricky!

We are pretty excited about this new gun, Can you tell?

Very nice!

Question, can a person change the grips?

Very nice!

Question, can a person change the grips?

YES, most definitely. The handle is removed by use of an allen wrench. It only takes a few moments and is simple. This provides two significant benefits:

1. You can switch out the handle to a whole host of perfectly compatible handles that offer various grips, textures, coverings, handle angles and sizes.
  2. Removal of the handle with a single screw is very useful for the traveling diver. With the handle removed, the gun and shaft can be inserted into an inexpensive pvc pipe for total protection during air travel etc.

This link shows the wide variety of compatible grips that are on the market. We offer the Hogue grip as well. In general, we recommend that the diver first try out the recommended A-2 grip which comes standard with this gun. Also, the handle itself keys into the trigger assembly extremely well. The handle is held by the Allen bolt threading into a stainless steel cylinder that spans the entire assembly. The allen wrench is inserted through the bottom of the handle.

I circled the stainless cylinder.

21 AR Grips compared | Military Times GearScout

Thanks for the inquiry!

dano

Attachments

• ar15-speargun-open-track-handle.jpg
    ar15-speargun-open-track-handle.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 896
Thanks for the quick response.

I have built a few AR's and like some of the aftermarket grips more than the standard A1 grip. The Magpul MIAD grip is really comfy.

I love this Mako AR15 American gun for MANY reasons:
1. It is (to the best of my knowledge) THE only production enclosed track PIPE barrel gun in production.
2. The enclosed track is well designed and EASILY replaced with just a screwdriver.
3. I easily ship this gun and spears anywhere in the world with me in a light PVC pipe with cheap shipping by removing the grip with just 1 allen wrench.
4. The MECH is a work of stainless steel art. Tin Man has designed/built a reverse mech that is PERFECT for this gun. I have been shooting this mech for months now with NO problems or issues.
a. This mech has a safety that works and in a good location IMO.
b. The mech is built like a tank part (as is ALL of Tin Mans designs that I have shot and tested for years and I am in the water ALOT each year. I have NEVER had a Tin Man product fail, not even a prototype).
c. This mech is relatively quiet for an ALL stainless steel mech.
d. The line release option makes this mech very VERSATILE for a gun builder.
e. The trigger is way ABOVE average for a speargun, with very little creep and a good crisp release thanks to the sear design.
d. I have overloaded this mech with 4 bands and even tried a roller muzzle on this gun with NO mech issues at all.
5. This gun has a good weight and balance to it considering how sturdy it is built. A 110cm AR15 with two bands, short spear, composite reel and 230ft of line will float. Add a little lead in the right places, attach a couple extra freeshafts and this gun will lay nicely on the bottom for scuba and freeshafting.
6. I have accidentally dropped this gun off the top of my truck onto concrete, lost this gun in a pounding surf on CORAL. Thrown this gun into the bottom of my yak, boats and my truck bed. Loaned it out to inexperienced spearos that abused it with no problems EVER.
7. The American SS spear is a high quality spear that has good workmanship on the flopper/shark fins, finish and mech area.
The AR15 American is a great, sturdy, versatile, dependable gun at a great price IMO. Mako, Tin Man and Griswold have done a great job designing and producing this gun.

I love this Mako AR15 American gun for MANY reasons:
1. It is (to the best of my knowledge) THE only production enclosed track PIPE barrel gun in production.
2. The enclosed track is well designed and EASILY replaced with just a screwdriver.
3. I easily ship this gun and spears anywhere in the world with me in a light PVC pipe with cheap shipping by removing the grip with just 1 allen wrench.
4. The MECH is a work of stainless steel art. Tin Man has designed/built a reverse mech that is PERFECT for this gun. I have been shooting this mech for months now with NO problems or issues.
a. This mech has a safety that works and in a good location IMO.
b. The mech is built like a tank part (as is ALL of Tin Mans designs that I have shot and tested for years and I am in the water ALOT each year. I have NEVER had a Tin Man product fail, not even a prototype).
c. This mech is relatively quiet for an ALL stainless steel mech.
d. The line release option makes this mech very VERSATILE for a gun builder.
e. The trigger is way ABOVE average for a speargun, with very little creep and a good crisp release thanks to the sear design.
d. I have overloaded this mech with 4 bands and even tried a roller muzzle on this gun with NO mech issues at all.
5. This gun has a good weight and balance to it considering how sturdy it is built. A 110cm AR15 with two bands, short spear, composite reel and 230ft of line will float. Add a little lead in the right places, attach a couple extra freeshafts and this gun will lay nicely on the bottom for scuba and freeshafting.
6. I have accidentally dropped this gun off the top of my truck onto concrete, lost this gun in a pounding surf on CORAL. Thrown this gun into the bottom of my yak, boats and my truck bed. Loaned it out to inexperienced spearos that abused it with no problems EVER.
7. The American SS spear is a high quality spear that has good workmanship on the flopper/shark fins, finish and mech area.
The AR15 American is a great, sturdy, versatile, dependable gun at a great price IMO. Mako, Tin Man and Griswold have done a great job designing and producing this gun.

Thanks Hau!

Back
Top Bottom