Water in BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which ever of the dumps you're using during the dive, be certain that dump is at the high part of the bc where the bubble will naturally migrate. Head down, butt dump. Head up, shoulder dump.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2014 at 09:00 PM ----------

My most used wing is a 18# Oxycheq. If I'm really layered up in the winter, I'll use a thirty which is still probably too much most of the time. I was certified without BC's. It was 6 or 8 years before I ever used one. I was taking an AOW class and borrowed one along with an octopus. My deep dive was the first time I ever did a pesky safety stop. A lot of my friends still dive without them. Of course they are still using 2200 psi steel 72's as well.

Vent where the air bubble is and don't try to vent when the BC is empty and you won't get any water in your BC. When I first started diving I remember getting water in the BC. I only notice it now if I am underweighted (and thus attempting to vent when empty).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you are neutrally buoyant at your safety stop without much or any air in your BC, I have found I may get some water in if I try to get that last bit of air out of the BC. No big deal.

I do often get considerably more water in during classes, since I am in shallow water for extended periods. It appears to me that you get water into your BC when there is not air there to hold it out, which can apply to numerous situations.

Terry

I agree it isn't worth worrying about, especially since you shouldn't be all that negative with an empty BC, and having a BC full of water would be the same as an empty BC.

If your BC was full of water, but otherwise functional, you could invert yourself (head down vertical) and hold both buttons forcing the water out or you could go head up vertical and hold the inflator button while simultaneously keeping the bottom dump valve open, also forcing the water out. Whether or not the problem is fixed, I would still probably end the dive since it is such an odd thing to happen, and so something is obviously wrong. So, because I would end the dive anyway, I probably wouldn't try to fix the problem, but just swim up making appropriate stops, and then figure out what went wrong on the surface.

If you have water in your BC, and try and force it out a dump valve by presurring up your BC, You will go into uncontrolled ascent? it would essentially require a BC filled with air. Unless yoou are doing it at the surface in which case, you ddn't have a problem to begin with.

If you have water in your BC, and try and force it out a dump valve by presurring up your BC, You will go into uncontrolled ascent? it would essentially require a BC filled with air. Unless yoou are doing it at the surface in which case, you ddn't have a problem to begin with.

you don't have to force all of it out :)

i always flush my bladder with fresh water after every dive. i force water in from the inflator hose, then drain it. this is done weekly.

no one else flushes their BCD after use?

i always flush my bladder with fresh water after every dive. i force water in from the inflator hose, then drain it. this is done weekly.

After every dive.
1. empty salt water out.
2. put in baby shampoo (not tons) & lots of fresh water, swish around & flush.
3. empty as much out as possible & repeat this step by adding air before each dumping.
4. empty the bits of water left in there over the next few days.

I have the Zeagle BX inflator on mine and flush with garden hose. Every few dives it's a good idea to put some disinfectant in there as fungus as been known to grow in the bladder.

hmm,

never thought about adding some soap. good pointer.

While some water is normal, a pint is a bit much.

Assuming that the OP has been thoroughly draining the BC after each dive...

I think air can also enter when using the power inflator... As air is "forced" into the corrugated tube, I think it also draws water in through the mouthpiece... Not a lot, but over a dive or five, it would accumulate.

Trying to flush the water out at depth as an act which carries considerable risk... uncontrolled ascent or sudden descent and running out of air at depth.

I would also check the dump valves (to be sure all of the dump valves have clear gaskets that aren't folded over. If you aren't comfy doing this, have your LDS take a look...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom