New diver first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

italchica

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
I was taught and certified in the ocean doing shore dives. I did learn/practice the proper entries etc. I had to climb out myself in full gear occasionally given a hand as the rocks were sharp.
Going away and booked boat dives. This may sound stupid but getting off a boat won't be a problem but climbing the ladder back in to a rocking boat with all my gear on might be difficult for me. I have been on/off boats for snorkelling but the weight of snorkel, mask, fins don't come close to complete scuba gear. I don't know what to expect so it makes me a bit nervous. Will people get ticked off if I need a hand? Don't want to be "the one".

Thanks in advance

Hi italchica,

it will of course depend on where you are diving and on the dive op. Everywhere we have been diving so far, instructors, DM's and boat staff have always been very friendly and helpful. After all, you are their client. The first time climbing a boat ladder after having been weightless in the water does make you realise that you're carrying quite some weight, but you'll get used to it very quickly.

Some things that may help (assuming big boat, procedures for RIB's are entirely different of course):
- Take off your fins and hand them up before going up the ladder (unless you see other divers are keeping them on, for instance when there's a lot of surface current and when falling off you would not be able to get back to the boat without fins)
- Talk to your instructor/DM/guide before the dive
- Let the other divers go first, that way you can watch what they do, and if you need a little more time you won't be stressed by others having to wait for you
- When letting the others go first, keep some distance - you don't want someone falling on top of you
- If your you find that your gear really is too heavy for you you can always take off your BCD in the water and hand it up - but if you don't have any medical issues you should not need that

Good luck, and enjoy!

Good Tips from WimW. The bottom line is this- compared to shore diving, boat diving is EASY. Conditions that may make a boat dive difficult would make a shore dive impossible. Listen to the dive leader briefing and the captain briefing, ask questions if you have them, and as suggested, watch others (and ask them too). Have a great trip!
DivemasterDennis

You have gotten some sound advise here so far . I would only tell you that watching them is a real good idea as their are different types of ladders on boats . Some are like the triditional ladder 2 side rails and cross bars and then their are the ones with a single center rail with the cross bars ,this one I find to be the easiest to clime up w/fins on and in rough seas . The 2 side rail is more proan to require you to take fins off to clime up. If you do choose to take them off you can always slide the heal strap over each wrist and you will have them if you would fall back in w/a currant . definitely hold back and let the rest off the diver get on board the boat and you will get some vizual tips on how to go about it . GOOD LUCK AND HAVE LOTS OF FUN

- When letting the others go first, keep some distance - you don't want someone falling on top of you

Only thing to add is that you need to be mindful when you are waiting next in line... turning around to talk to a friend/buddy might allow you to drift too close to the ladder. Allow plenty of space for the diver to fall back in if it happens. Make sure the person before you is secured and walking away and that the ladder is completely clear before moving in.

Also, if conditions become rough and the boat is pitching badly, there is a little bit of skill to get back on the boat that you will need to learn. Timing as they say is everything... as you will need to time your step and handhold on the ladder at the right time. Hopefully there will be a tag line out there to hold onto. Ask the crew what to do as they may have certain procedures that they may want you to follow in rough conditions.

No one will be ticked off if you need a hand. They will probably be ticked off if something happened and you did need a hand.

Enjoy your boat dives!

Pay close attention to the dive briefing. The person doing it will generally go over procedures for getting in the water, and for reboarding. Some ladders require that you remove your fins; some water conditions virtually mandate that you not do so. It is important always to remain ready to be back in the water unexpectedly . . . I never take my regulator out of my mouth until I am steady on the deck of the boat. By the same token, don't approach the bottom of a ladder when there is someone on it, because at any moment, they could be on top of you!

There are a lot of people who need a little help carting scuba gear up a ladder, and deck crew are usually quite adept at assisting. If you think you might have serious trouble, warn them ahead of time -- they'd much rather have you do that, than put a brave face on things and end up in trouble.

Good points. Especially

-Keep reg in mouth. I do not remove reg until safely on boat and on way to seat.

-First priority is get firmly on the ladder. Gather yourself and then start up. If a wave comes just hold on and breath through that reg. Slow and careful once on the ladder.

-Maybe not bring a camera on the first dive unless seas are calm. Camera complicates things. I usually swim to boat and hand camera up, then drop back and go through the entry onto boat without camera.

Regarding timing on the ladder. I get a hand on the ladder a little early (unless the boat is moving too much.) That let's me get a feel for the swell. Then I get my foot/feet planted as the ladder nears the bottom of its movement. I hold on and let the ocean drag the bulk of my bulk out of the water. Once we near the top of the boats movement I start climbing, while momentum is on my side. The ladder is dropping away and I have less work to do. If I miss a swell, I will let my knees bend and my arms straighten to stay low in the water until I decide to let the water lift me.

If the swell is really big you have to do the same thing, just faster. Snatch, plant, wait, scramble.

Never fight the ocean; it will win. But it you work with it you will have a lot of fun.

Posted from a mobile device. Please excuse errors and brevity.

Most boats will put out a float line from the stern for divers to hold on to while they wait to board, especially if the seas are a little rough. I usually remove my fins while the diver ahead of me is starting to climb the ladder. I put my fins over my arm and use the line to pull myself the rest of the way to the ladder. If you have rough conditions, you have to be able to time the placing of your feet on the dive ladder when the stern of the boat is at its lowest point so that the boat lifts you out of the water as it starts to rise. As stated before, don't remove your regulator until you are safely on the boat.

there's no requirement to get on with your gear, if you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't be a hero and hand your weight belt up first, then fins then BCD. the staff are there to help, that's their job.

If you want to have a go then I would suggest giving your weights the first time anyway. As for technique, most ladders are different but floating up on your back and landing one foot on the bottom rung then grab for a rung with one hand and then the other, then climb. do NOT put your knee on a rung, it's tempting but can end a dive trip quickly if you get a wave at the wrong time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom