Which Torque Wrench

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use crow foot wrenches on hoses. There is a simple formula (that should be included in your torque wrench manual) to adjust for extending the length. On a regulator hose, I torque to 40 inch pounds and set my wrench to 36 inch pounds.

It seems to me that you are arguing that using standard wrenches and getting a feel for the pressure applied will get you in the ballpark, and is preferable to over-tightening with a torque wrench by 4 inch pounds.

Here is the formula, in case anyone is interested:

View attachment 175957

I am not arguing anything, I just feel their are very few situations where a torque wrench is absolutely necessary. I doubt a 20 to 250 inch pound torque wrench of any kind is accurate to within 4 inch pounds. Just turn the crow foot wrench 90 degrees to the wrench and you don't need all those calculations because you haven't lengthen it.

I am not arguing anything, I just feel their are very few situations where a torque wrench is absolutely necessary. I doubt a 20 to 250 inch pound torque wrench of any kind is accurate to within 4 inch pounds. Just turn the crow foot wrench 90 degrees to the wrench and you don't need all those calculations because you haven't lengthen it.

sorry, I may have misread your post. I agree about the accuracy, but it is definitely better that what I could get with a standard wrench. For you being a mechanic all your life, I don't doubt that you are very accurate with a standard wrench.

Thanks for the science NIMOH. Very interesting. Will grasp it and make it mine too.

One thing to keep in mind is the indicated accuracy of a torque wrench. It is usually given as a percentage, and from vague recollection it is a percentage of the torque number you are aiming for. Important for smaller fittings and fasteners made from softer metals. Also, most wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom