Do you need a different 1st/2nd stage regs with Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you use the same regulator for air and regular Nitrox (32 or 36)?

I see from the ScubaPro website they offer Nitrox versions of their regs. Is that for more than 40% O2?

if you use the same regs you will die for sure.....

j/k....

Only if O2 concentration is greater than 40%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bs, don't fall for the hype.

bs, don't fall for the hype.

Most regs come factory clean for up to 40% O2. Yes, you can use any reg with O2 higher than 40%, but they need to be O2 clean. As an instructor, you should not put out comments like that, people will look to you, use any old reg that is not O2 clean and could get injured. Survival of the stupidest.

Special considerations (suitable materials, O2 cleaning etc) are necessary only if O2 concentration is greater than 40%.

Selling a completely different tank or regulator for people to use with EAN 21-40 seems like BS/hype/ rip-off to me too.

My tanks magically becomes Nitrox tanks any time I slap on a piece of duct tape and write EAN XX, fill date & initials.

it can be hard to get fills for tanks that are not equipped with the M26x2 valves in parts of the EU (particularily Austria, Germany and Swizerland) as the EU bureaucrats in Brussels decided anything with higher O2 content than 21% was to be handled like pure oxygen :facepalm: You should be fine in the rest of the world

Last edited:
Never had an issue using my regs for either or nitrox.

I'm using both Apeks and Poseidon regulators for EAN40. These are not O2-certified nitrox regulators. You are not using 100% oxygen, are you?

Nitrox regulators exist for three reasons:
1) the regulating body wants different ports (connectors, thread sizes) for different gases as this makes it more difficult to plug pure oxygen on a non-oxygen clean high pressure system (1st stage, cylinder). Such a mistake could lead to one of the brighter moments of your life. People have used non-O2 certified equipment with oxygen for decades, but then they also oxygen cleaned them, maintained them well, and made sure the o-rings and other stuff are compliant.
2) somebody might sue the regulating agency or its employees, so it is best to just deny everything
3) it's great for marketing to sell special gear for each gas

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom