Starting Master 100T Near Coastal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was trying to do the online learning, but just couldn't focus, so I signed up for a 2 week class at MPT so I can get my 100T Near Coastal.

Starting on Monday.

Howard,

I'm right there with you. I can't seem to set the required time aside to get it done. Between work, family and fun, I just can't seem to get it together. So I'm going to do the same thing out here on the West Coast.

I'll say this.

The 2 week class from MPT is pretty intense. It's 8 hours a day for 10 days, with the test on the 11th day. I did through the rules of the road in my online class, but having the instructor explain in detail the nuances of the rules makes them stick a lot better. Also the instructor mentions key words that the CG uses to see if you're paying attention on the test, like May, Shall, Must, Intends, etc... We're into the Nav General and plotting now, which for me is easier, as I am already the ship's navigator and have been plotting and charting for years. :)

And if you ever sail on the Western Rivers (Mississippi) and saw all of the short little bridges there, you'd understand the rules for mast lights on western rivers. Ya gotta drop the mast to pass under the bridges, so it makes sense that you won't see towing lights on tows above the Huey P. Long bridge.

My instructor fully explained this logic, and referred to it as the "Lazy AB Rule" - At MPT, they don't just teach for the test... which makes me happier than a crash course geared toward passing an exam.

Well... School's out...

I got 1 wrong on the Rules... None on the Navigation, and 4 wrong (out of 70) on the Deck General for a 95% on that. I thought MPT was a great school, and I would recommend it to anyone. I really feel like I know the rules of the road backwards and forwards, and didn't just cram for a test, like others said is the "way to do it."

Good choice on MPT. They are the best in the country (imo).

Good luck!

Well... School's out...

I got 1 wrong on the Rules... None on the Navigation, and 4 wrong (out of 70) on the Deck General for a 95% on that. I thought MPT was a great school, and I would recommend it to anyone. I really feel like I know the rules of the road backwards and forwards, and didn't just cram for a test, like others said is the "way to do it."

Congrats!
So do you have your license?
What tonnage did they grant you? (it's usually based on the vessel you reference in your sea service form)

Yes. 100T, I have a lot of time on a 170 ton vessel.

I just finished my (two weeks of hell) class with Maritime Institute of San Diego. Great class had homework over the weekend and after class so no diving in Catalina while I was there. It was a real eye opener for me. After having boats on the sea as an owner operator for 30 years I really found out how much I did not know.

Back
Top Bottom