Prescription glass vs contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tif

New
Reaction score
# of dives
My eyesight just changed again, so I'm at a crossroads. Does anyone have any experience scuba diving with contact lens in? I'm a 50' down max diver. Or will be. Pretty new! And the eyes are a -6 and -7, so correction is a must. Thanks!

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk

Hi Tif,
My correction is -8.5 in one eye and worse in the other. And I have astigmatism that can't be corrected with glasses so I've been diving since 1985, before actually, with contacts. When I could still get correction with soft lenses I used them but for many years I've worn gas permeable rigids. Only 3 problems I've run into. I don't trust them underwater without my mask so have to do mask drills with my eyes shut. Obviously in an emergency I'd open my eyes and take my chances. Sometimes after a fairly deep dive they fog. I'm convinced it is the high pressure air working its way out of the gas permeable lens. And with the shape and scar tissue on my eyes they don't stay in as well as I'd like. I must be careful and on occasion one falls into my mask. Here's to purge valves. I just continue the dive with a lot less vision and carefully fix the problem after the dive. People with normal nearsightedness don't understand what a -7.5 is and how blind you are when you take your mask off after the dive. If you can get correction with disposable soft lenses I think you will really like diving that way.

Brian

My eyesight just changed again, so I'm at a crossroads. Does anyone have any experience scuba diving with contact lens in? I'm a 50' down max diver. Or will be. Pretty new! And the eyes are a -6 and -7, so correction is a must. Thanks!

A good discussion...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/471681-contacts-prescription-mask.html

I have used contacts since the beginning. No problems so far.

I'm only -3.0 in both eyes, but I prefer contacts myself, simply so I can see before and after the dive.

I also have a mask with prescription lenses, supplied by Cressi, that works fine, but I do prefer the contacts.

Never had had an issue with either even down to 125'.

Thank you for the replies and links. I am wearing soft lens, although not as often as glasses. I don't like the idea of being pretty much blind coming out of the water on a boat. I'm still at the pool, so I hadn't considered that. I just leave my glasses on the deck. Good a-ha there. I just got refitted with new lenses, so now knowing that it is safe to wear them, I'll give that a try. Thank you! This forum is so supportive of new divers with questions like this!

Just got back from Cozumel and did 36 dives with contacts, never a problem. I only worry about getting my mask kicked off but that hasn't happened, yet.

Back
Top Bottom