Air Integrated Dive Computers and SPG's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently purchased an air integrated wireless dive computer with the idea that I would remove my SPG and it would lighten the amount of crap I lug around the world and also streamline my setup for diving. One thing that has concerned me a little bit is what happens if the my dive computer fails? Do most people have a simple SPG connected to their 1st stage as a backup, or has the technology in the wireless air integrated (assuming the batteries are fully charged, etc.) progressed to where failures are pretty much non-existent?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input! I really value the knowledge I gain from this board!

Thanks,

D

I've been diving my AI computers without SPG backup for seven years now. Ain't dead yet.

I see no point in buying an AI computer then drag another SPG along. If that's the case, then might as well get a regular computer and use the SPG.

If the computer were to die during middle of the dive, then I'd make an ascension. The air in my tank will still be the air in my tank, whether or not the computer stops working.

Personally, I'd trust the toughness of solid state electronics a lot more than a bunch of springs and levers.

The ONLY times that my AI computers had screwed up on me were when I DECIDED to change the batteries myself without reading the damn operator's manuals or pay attention to how the o-ring gaskets fitted to the battery compartments. And yes, I do carry an SPG/depth gauge backup console...in my dive bag. So that I can install it for the next dive.

You probably dive suicide fins too!

One in each color. And an inline octo (which I dragged over the reef because I can't maintain buoyancy). I court death every time I enter the water.

HTSafetyStop2.jpg

HTHammerheadHood.jpg

---------- Post added February 10th, 2014 at 10:05 AM ----------

One thing I noticed that dive guides/dive masters make statements about how hundreds of vacation divers would come on their boats with AI computers not working due to neglect...is that the dive computers' fault? Or is that operator's fault?

Change the batteries on your computer & transmitter once a year, or before you go on a $6000 dive vacation. Ta da!!! If you can afford a multi-thousand dollars vacation, you can afford a backup AI computer. I have two wireless AI computers that use the same transmitter. If I were to go on a multi-thousand dollars vacation, you bet your split fins that I'd use both of them at the same time...after making sure that they and the transmitter both have fresh batteries in them. And if a boat crew were to snap off the transmitter when handling my gears, then comes out the second set of regulators with the console AI computer.

It's very simple, when you spend several thousand dollars on a dive vacation, you better be ready for any and all eventualities. Either that or be at the mercy of the fickle fingers of Fate.

I have 2 AI computers. I also have them both on the same transmitter. I also have the extra transmitter in the bag on the boat in case of failure. I also have an SPG in the bag, on the boat.

Split fins? No, but they are the Seawing Novas and they are white.

I've never understood the logic of buying a piece of scuba equipment with the idea that it needs the back up just in case. We don't carry spare fins or spare BC. The octo is there not to back up our primary but in case our buddy is OOA and needs to share air.

An AI computer with wireless transmitter helps put information in the same place where I look for depth and time as well as nitrogen loading. Personally it simplifies my gear and integrates multiple data streams. But, is it any different from a non-AI computer failure? If a non-AI computer fails underwater then you need to end the dive at that point anyways, even if your SPG is still working. If you AI computer fails it's not like your tank will empty to zero during the ascent.

By the book recommendations if your computer fails and you are in the middle of a dive vacation having done multiple dives you are out of the water for 24 hours anyways, even if it's non-AI and your SPG works just fine.

I've never understood the logic of buying a piece of scuba equipment with the idea that it needs the back up just in case. We don't carry spare fins or spare BC. The octo is there not to back up our primary but in case our buddy is OOA and needs to share air.

Some people carry pony body as backup to the primary tank.

If a non-AI computer fails underwater then you need to end the dive at that point anyways, even if your SPG is still working. If you AI computer fails it's not like your tank will empty to zero during the ascent.

But if you were to carry a backup console: SPG/Depth Gauge AND a timing device (bottom timer AND wristwatch to back up bottom timer - just make sure that the wristwatc is automatic instead of battery driven), then you don't have to terminate the dive.

By the book recommendations if your computer fails and you are in the middle of a dive vacation having done multiple dives you are out of the water for 24 hours anyways, even if it's non-AI and your SPG works just fine.

Just deck out with backup everything and you'll be good to go.

With an AI computer, there is really no need to drag along a spg. I have had several dives, where my AI computer, for whatever reason, failed.
Knowing my buddy's dive profile, I was able to finish the dive with plenty of air.
The secret is pick a buddy that sucks more air than you do....
BTW I do keep the spg in the bag for such occurrences.....

Some people carry pony body as backup to the primary tank.

But if you were to carry a backup console: SPG/Depth Gauge AND a timing device (bottom timer AND wristwatch to back up bottom timer - just make sure that the wristwatc is automatic instead of battery driven), then you don't have to terminate the dive.

Just deck out with backup everything and you'll be good to go.

Yes, but maybe should have back ups for our back ups. And then, maybe we should have back ups for the back up back ups. At some point you are just going to have to trust your gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom