Diving safely without a wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think full coverage of some sort is a good idea, since you never know for sure what you'll come across. But sometimes I dive in just a swimsuit when the mood strikes, as do lots of people from what I've seen. Plenty of people dive like that all the time and are just fine. I don't do it at night.

Jellies aren't always a major concern, actually not all that often most places. It's a good question to ask of the DM or a local.

I dive usually in Asia with WT around 27 to 31 degree. Even at depth of 50 m it's in the high twenties. But I gave up on shorty diving and use a 2.5 mm wet-suit to protect myself from fire corrals and other skin irritating critters, wounds by scratching along a wreck are also not pleasant. In addition one should not forget the sun protective effect of a rash guard or wetsuit

Regards
Alex@nder

I did 50 dives this year in south Florida with no wet suit and I am still alive. I usually wear a rash guard and board shorts.

You mean like this:

T2eC16FykE9s7twBMBSGhk06Ez60_35_zps3d18ee18.jpg

LloydBridges-1_zps0cf8d6f2.jpg

547f_1_sbl.jpg

1182769300_0.jpg

1167668136_0.jpg

male53oct_1-1.jpg

1170620043_0.jpg

People nowadays over complicate everything. Just jump in, get wet.

First off, you are not supposed to touch the coral and, secondly, jelly fish are not always present. I prefer diving with a rash guard and some .5mm neoprene shorts. I do not wear bloomers or swimming dresses (aka boardies, board shorts). If I need a little extra warmth I will throw on a neoprene vest.

Of course, despite my hate of wet suits, once the water temp gets below about 80, time to suit up at least in a shorty and around 76 I might want my 5mm and below 70 my semi dry and in the 50s and 60s, my drysuit.

Here in Coz a few weeks ago, water temp on my computer was 82 to 84 but it was an off and on overcast day so I was a little cool and tossed on my thin neoprene hooded top and was a toasty as could be. I love the water, I love being wet and feeling the water against my skin.

IMG_20131113_161244_1__zpsc8c36982-1.jpg

Later that day and several time while down there, had to do my swim workout, swam about a mile along the coast which was super fun. I just wore just my swimsuit and swimming goggles. But, yes, if jellies are an issue and in particular an issue with you then you will need a lycra full suit or a tropical wetsuit, or like many divers, deal with it. I can usually find a hole in jellie swarms, but yes, I get stung, and for the most part, I do not get wound up over it.

Vandenburg, shorts and rashguard:

IMG_1979.jpg

Cayman and rashguard and shorts:

IMG_0107-1_edited-2.jpg

In the Keys in the summer, it is like a bathtub, it is common practice to just jump in with nothing but a swimsuit. You do not need your SCUBA Steve super hero uniform.

But, in some places, if there are jellies that are truly dangerous, yes, you will need appropriate protection.

N

Yes, like most of that, minus the sharks trying to eat me.

I know to stay off the bottom, whatever may be there, but sometimes, I am not the best at buoyancy and end up touching, or even crashing down.

I think wearing gloves is less useful than wearing a protective suit. Some of the jelly fish carry severe toxins able to paralyze you and your breathing in several seconds. It's an unnecessary risk to dive w/o and I agree, it feels much more comfy with just shorts.

Regards
Alex@nder

Wearing a rash guard and shorts give you about the same level of COVERAGE as a shortie wetsuit. I dive that way in the Keys. I often get over heated in a wetsuit in the summer sun, just in the time to suite up and walk to the water. So it make a lot of sense when the ambient temp is around 90.

I did recently my IANTD Tec Wreck certification in Subic and pressed my self through narrow passages inside the wreck of the USS New York. Glad to have wearing a long wetsuit although the water was temperature wise 26 degree. After 80 min being in the water things are getting too cold for me.

Kind regards
Alexander

... So, besides a swimming pool, where could I dive without having a wetsuit or more on, yet have beautiful background?

I have dived in the Red Sea in summer plenty of times in swimming trunks and a teeshirt.

On one such holiday the dive guides were Flemish Belgian, and they thought that I looked cold, and I had to tell them in their language: "Ik ben niet koud." (= "I am not cold."). I had taught myself Dutch for 2 holidays motorcycling round Holland, but I did not think that I would need to talk Dutch on the Red Sea.

For night dives and wreck dives I wore a boilersuit.

For out of water when sunglasses were needed (not merely for "coolness"), I wore blowtorch goggles bought at an industrial safety shop, far cheaper than fashion Raybans and more useful: clear fixed lenses and a dark flip, and they fitted easily over my spectacles. Never mind if it made me look industrial.

Just wait for mid July, Early August and find a local pond with good visibility. Stay above the thermocline, probably in the first 20 feet or so. The first 5 feet or so will be tropical, then comfortable to the thermocline. That's what happens in Maine and your latitude is comparable.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom