7 divers missing off Indonesian island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say waiting for conditions to improve is a nono. Currents do last a long time. Much longer than your tank anyways. Tides turn over several hours so I would look for a different approach on that one. As for down wells I would definitely hook myself for a while if possible and think about what could be done. Just my opinion though. Never had an experience of strong down wells, vertical that is.

Thanks for that response. In the two experiences we have had of strong unexpected down wells/currents we did hook and wait and fortunately the dive guide and rest of the larger group did so as well. Once all were settled and breathing more calmly, we all agreed and signalled to abort, then drifted off together. There were moments of relative lull in the current strength so it is possible to choose a good moment to release. Also, depending on the reef topography, there are times when moving across to a different location can provide some relief.

The thought experiment I have is if part of the larger group make a decision to split and you and buddy are not sure if you should follow. In such a situation you may only have a matter of seconds to decide before losing contact with the rest of the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very good outcome, far better than I thought the result would be. Hopefully the other two will be also found alive. As I forecast yesterday, the only way they could be expected to be found alive was if they had made it ashore.

One thing I have noticed in a lot of missing diver searches (especially involving tides/currents), the people organising the search do not appear to have any idea of what the currents were doing at the time of the disappearance and afterwards. A simple thing to do is to drop a diver in the water and time for 10 minutes which direction they go and how far. Then you can extrapolate where they might be in xx minutes or xx hours. This is how a friend of ours was found on the North Coast of NSW when their boat broke its mooring and the crew on board did not notice the boat was drifting away.

Hoping that the other two can be found today.

You can do the same thing with a float. Drop it in t he water and see which way it goes. I believe some body in Indo? located some lost divers with this method a couple of years ago.

I'm still very confused about locations. Some reports say they were diving Crystal Bay, others say they were diving at Manta Point, still others say they were at Mangrove Point at Nusa Lembongan...which was it?

I'm trying to follow this story carefully, as I'm booked to dive Crystal Bay and Manta Point in the next few months, and have dived both before, but I keep hearing about more and more incidents at Crystal Bay.

This link says 5 of the 7 divers were found alive and, apparently, uninjured:

Yahoo!

As to the idea of swimming 300 meters to shore, if I had been swept 12 miles around the corner to Manta Point (I actually meaured 9 miles from Crystal Bay), I wouldn't be in a hurry to jump back in and get swept to Lombok, Sumbawa, Sumba, or Perth. But if I did try it, and was lucky enough to make it to shore, I'd be at the base of 200-300 foot cliffs, very sparsely populated at the top.

This bulletin was not the latest however whats confusing is it says one body found?

1 dead, 6 Japanese divers missing in Indonesia
1. The number just do not add up!!
2. Six were drifting together(as reported) and five made it ashore. The other one did not make it.
3. If they are still looking for two divers then the body reportedly recovered has nothing to do with them.

I was in bali sanur area over the same weekend when they had reportedly gone missing. The weather conditions... One moment it would be shining bright, and another would be storming. That fateful day when we had hit the area, another dive group of mine who had gone diving earlier had decided to cancel their dives because of the extreme conditions at sea. It was not until late evening when news of missing divers had reached our ears.

It had been full moon, and rain added to the already challenging conditions at nusa. We went a day later (after full moon) to Manta Point.. and boy it was not an easy ride and dive. What made them to decide to press on with the dive... well, there's some story to here from survivors I guess.

We are always at the mercy of mother nature, if not Poseidon. No matter how large the SMB is, horsepower of DPV, efficiency of your fins, we are still at the mercy of them.

It came to my mind when my local guide told me 7 divers were missing (5 found alive clinging onto the rocks of manta point at the time of this writing).. what if... out of the 7 divers, there's a couple of them were actually uncomfortable with the dive but succumb to peer pressure? Were they not to be this lucky to be found alive, that could be an ill - justified decision compensated with a life.

At the end of the day, we are still a minute plankton in the eyes of the ocean. Bad day? Well you can always come back another day... than not having the option to make that choice at all.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It had been full moon, and rain added to the already challenging conditions at nusa. We went a day later (after full moon) to Manta Point.. and boy it was not an easy ride and dive. What made them to decide to press on with the dive... well, there's some story to here from survivors I guess.

If they did dive at Crystal for the last dive, I think I read somewhere in the forum that according to local guides, it is best to avoid diving in CB few days before and after a full moon because of the tides and currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom