New First Stage Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I was using the D2 on a single tank backmount. I think D2s are favorites for stage bottles.

That said, I needed the D2 in a rush for a class, and for 100 bucks, it was really hard to pass up the deal. I really liked my Salvo's hose routing but that went kaplooey.

Thanks all! When buying the wrist PDC, I hadn't realized I didn't have two ports. In researching how to fix this, I didn't realize that there was a 2:1 splitter. I'll be ordering one tomorrow.

Very relieved that getting a new 1st stage would be a severe waste of time, effort and money! Appreciate all the comments and info.

I would also suggest not getting a new reg. Use your current one with a port splitter. However, I am going to suggest also getting a short 6" hp hose.

Reg HP Port -> 6" HP hose -> Splitter -> Transmitter/HP Hose with SPG.

This is a good idea, but why not put the splitter on the regulator, the 6" hose in one output and the SPG in the other.

How many additional failure points are you really willing to add? What is a splitter going to do to your hose routing? I can say I would not allow this on a reg in any con ed class I was teaching.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

This is a good idea, but why not put the splitter on the regulator, the 6" hose in one output and the SPG in the other.

Cause one still has a rigid lever for deck dorks to grab.

How many additional failure points are you really willing to add? What is a splitter going to do to your hose routing? I can say I would not allow this on a reg in any con ed class I was teaching.

The splitter is going to add one additional failure point. Adding the six inch hose is going to add one more. HP hose failures are rare. While teaching I saw a few hoses get aneurisms more often the spool failed. Never seen a connection fail.

The splitter will not affect the hose routing.

Cause one still has a rigid lever for deck dorks to grab.

I would screw the adapter directly into the first stage, it's pretty small, and then the 6" hose with the transmitter, but I sort of see your point.

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 11:29 PM ----------

The splitter adds one potential failure point among at least 20 including the port plug o-rings, the tank o-ring, all the o-rings in the regulator stages, the HP spool o-rings, jeesh. Hardly anything to worry about, but maybe you just think he needs to buy a first stage from you.

You are adding only one failure point and if you had instead a first stage with a second HP port than isn't that the same number of failure points. The OP is going down the road of redundancy and over complication. He is wanting to carry two instruments were one will suffice because it is a new techno toy and ever so cool. So you would allow an additional failure point with the transmitter and the spg but if a splitter adds one more failure point to the quagmire, you would not approve it?

I just do not understand, one has a good spg that works fine, but that is not enough, so to add to that, an electronic one that may or may not always work and needs batteries and yet you are talking about a failure point with a splitter. I guess my priorities are off as usual.

The Mk V and similar, including I believe the Hog, has a rotating turret with a dynamic O ring plus four or five LP ports all with static O rings, and a splitter that does a similar thing is a problem. Well, I guess this splitter is a HP splitter, so there is that. Somehow, in the grand scheme, this just does not raise red flags. Even if it leaks or an O ring fails, the tiny pin sized outlet is not going to be a life threatening issue for a recreational diver. However, blowing an O-ring on the MkV turret could be. How often does that happen? I have seen one break off that had the original brass nut. Yes, I realize we are talking Titan, not MkV, I am making an example. Oh, but with the Titan like all diaphragm regs, if the push pin fails, the upstream HP seat locks down. How often does that happen?

But, yeah, splitters are sometimes a kludge I guess.

N

The OP originally asked about a new first stage. Not a rube goldbergesque solution. The guidelines I use for all my con ed classes include a section on gear. I would ask any prospective student why they bought a piece of gear without carefully researching whether or not it could be used successfully by them in a way that they trust. If the computer's method of tracking gas is such that it is not meeting that and another method is required or desired why buy it? And if the alternate requires a separate port then a reg with one is required. Not splitting a high pressure connection that may affect hose routing, add an additional point subject to damage or misuse by someone not familiar with it, and just not be the way either component was designed to be used. I would require my student in such a situation to choose the computer or spg, or use a different second stage with both devices and show me that this does not interfere with any drills we may do and adds to the optimum gear configuration requirements for my classes. What he or anyone else chooses to do otherwise is up to them.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would go for Apeks XTX 50. Has a turret and 2 HP ports, 5 MD ports. Can be nicely DIR configured. Is sealed. The XTX 100 and 200 are nice too and if you dive twins might be the better choice. DS4 is the cheaper alternative, no swiffleling turret. All allow for cold water and maximum usage of your gas volume, once I breathed on down to 8 bar on a deco stage.

Regards
Alex@nder

allow for cold water and maximum usage of your gas volume, once I breathed on down to 8 bar on a deco stage.

Regards
Alex@nder

Just out of curiosity, is there a regulator in the world that does not allow for 'maximum usage of your gas volume'? I guess the titan, which he already has, or some other non-apeks regulators, must stop the diver from getting all available gas in the tank.:shakehead:

Sometimes the comments on this forum are just a bit nutty.

Back
Top Bottom