Atomic mask feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jh_MacLeod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My old Atomic frameless still works fine, but I'm thinking about getting a new one and relegating the old one to backup. I haven't been following the equipment forums recently, so I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback (positive/negative) about the new models: Frameless 2 or Venom models.

My inclination would be just to get another Frameless. Does the Frameless 2 offer any real improvements?

If you have a mask that you like and that, most importantly fits and doesn't leak, I'd be buying another as a spare. In fact did just that with my medium Atomic Frameless. If it ain't broke and all that.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2014 at 08:18 AM ----------

Frameless 2?

I just picked up a Medium Atomic Frameless. Really like it but for one thing: There is literally ZERO access to the nose pocket, even bare handed (and I wear dry gloves). How do you equalize wearing this mask? I have worn it once. I had to jam by fingers into my nostrils, from the bottom, and squeeze in order equalize. The skirt is sparing beneath the nose and a tiny bit of 50 degree water would enter the mask each time I equalized. So I spent the entire dive with a small puddle of cold water tickling my nostrils. Moreover, it is not as quick and easy to equalize in this way. My go to mask has been the Aqualung Micromask, which has great nose pocket access. I equalize quickly and easily without even thinking about it.

If you have a mask that you like and that, most importantly fits and doesn't leak, I'd be buying another as a spare. In fact did just that with my medium Atomic Frameless. If it ain't broke and all that.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2014 at 08:18 AM ----------

Frameless 2?

I have the mask in my hand right now. It's not an issue of pronounced or not. There is ZERO nose pocket access, even using chopsticks. People who dive this mask must equalize only by pinching closed the very bottom of the nose. Some people can equalize without any pinching--they might love this mask.

I wrote to Atomic and asked them about this issue. They never responded.

Agree, the nose pocket is not very pronounced. I have small hands but have not found this to be an issue even in dry gloves.

I've owned the medium and regular versions of the Frameless, still dive the regular one as my primary and backup masks, and never had a problem pinching the sides of my nose to equalize. Then again, my nose is pretty pronounced -- if you're not getting the nostrils out into the nose pocket, you're not going to be able to pinch anything but silicone.

With every mask I have ever worn prior to this one, I equalize by pressing very gently in the area above the nostrils and at the intersection of face and nose on each side of the nose. Hardly any squeezing--just pressing gently in that area, the area that I take to be the nose pocket. There is ZERO access to this area on the Atomic Medium Frameless mask. It is completely blocked off.

I suppose that if you have a very prominent nose that extends well beyond the frameless frame (ie, beyond the lens) of this mask then you will have something to squeeze. But in this case you are pinching the tip of your nose--just as we do to indicate a foul odor. You are not accessing the nose pocket, which is further inside at the base of where the nose and face intersect. Most masks allow access to this space--and even boast about allowing access to this space. In theory, if not also in practice, when you press the nose pocket, you are blocking airflow down closer to the nasal passages and ears. So you don't need nearly as much air pressure in order to equalize. If you are squeezing the tip of your nose, then you need more air pressure build up before the ears equalize. I noticed this difference immediately on my dive in the Atomic Medium Frameless. I was ready to toss the mask into the garbage bin after the dive (PM me if you want the buy this mask--one dive on it only).

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with this mask. Field of vision is exceptional. And I think the lens is superior to ordinary tempered glass. Skirt is of the firmer variety, which I like because it allows quicker and easier donning and doffing of the mask under water.

I'm trying and failing to see what you're getting at here. The "frameless frame" is approximately a half a centimeter off your face...short of someone who lost their nose in a bar fight, everyone has nostrils out further than that.

When I go to pinch my nose shut for things like equalizing or prebreathing, I'm not touching the tip but going for the sweet spot forward of the part covered by the frame/lens, up from the nostrils, and below the area where the nose's cartilidge meets the nasal bone...which is just the part of the nose that fills out the middle of the nose pocket that extends out past the lens. Going further back towards the face isn't going to shut my nostrils, which are forward, and going up much further is going to have me pressing gently on bone that won't move enough to block airflow. Dunno, maybe I've been equalizing wrong for years...but the mask works fine for me.

The Atomic Frameless is by far and above the very best mask I have ever owned in all aspects. I have no issues with the nose pocket which again, is by far and above the very best.

N

Back
Top Bottom